The DEMON is coming...

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2018
    do you have an after photo?

I don't, but "deer in the headlights" pretty much sums it up. LOL. This Camaro is BRUTAL, 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds. On the downside, the ride and comfort level is also BRUTAL; not a long-trip car.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Jstas wrote: »
    Any pics of the damage?
    Not likely, I'm sure that car was getting lipstick and makeup 15 minutes after he declined to take delivery... though I'm sure someone will be only too happy to buy it.

I am not surprised by this at all, except maybe for the fact that it took so long.
    You would think that any statement pieces that rolled out of any production facility would not be mishandled like this. I work with a bunch of guys who bleed MOPAR
    and this would mortify them - so of course I will send a link to this thread to them :p

@nooshinjohn, consider yourself lucky, you know what you missed...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    steveinaz wrote: »
    do you have an after photo?

I don't, but "deer in the headlights" pretty much sums it up. LOL. This Camaro is BRUTAL, 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds. On the downside, the ride and comfort level is also BRUTAL; not a long-trip car.

That was my supposition ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The damaged areas do not show well on camera. In fact, if they had taken the time to wipe the compound residue from the car, I would have never looked so hard in the first place. That much dust and film meant SOMETHING happened and I was going to figure it out after that.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Called Dodge... they were sorry to hear of my problems, and that's about it. :s

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Presumably the damage was done during shipping(?).
    Wonder how common it has been?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Well if the name is dodge then do as the name :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Presumably the damage was done during shipping(?).
    Wonder how common it has been?

The most significant damage happened after the car was built and while it was being stored. Most likely cause was that the car got backed into by another vehicle. They sent it to the rework shop afterwards rather than just hang a new pre-painted fender on the car. When I worked at Subaru, they would sometimes have to rework things too, and they sometimes would just paint a new fender or something. No overspray, no mess, and no worries.

The hood would require a complete repaint, and the fender would need repaint as well. The rest could possibly be buffed.

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    What a disappointment this ordeal must have been! I like your idea of waiting for the mid-engine Corvette. I hope the dealers don’t gouge you too much.
  • nooshinjohn
    Can’t really say I’m that disappointed honestly. I halfway expected this after the car got shuttled around for two months after it was assembled. Lot damage happens all the time in the car business, and most is never disclosed.

I should have been contacted and had the situation explained, and Dodge should have done a correct repair instead of trying to half-a$$ it like the did. How a competent repair supervisor signed off on that is beyond me.

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    You definitely should have been contacted prior to delivery. Based on your work for Subaru, what is your opinion about their products? Never drove one, but they are everywhere here in the Pacific Northwest.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Jstas wrote: »
    Any pics of the damage?

probably cant even see the damage anymore.....would have liked to see the pictures of the damage described in the posts before this.......oh well made for a good year long thread....happy car buying....
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Maybe rename this thread The Demon was here and gone.....................
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    Maybe rename this thread The Demon was here and gone.....................

Or maybe: "The Demon Has Been Exorcised!"
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    The Demon has been sent back to H**L! :(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    The Subaru is pretty much the de facto official vehicle for much of Northern New England (FWIW). They have a bit of a checkered reputation for long-term reliability (there used to be a head gasket thing, e.g.) but they seem to be better now.

Our daughter & son-in-law recently got a used Outback; and his mom bought a new Outback a couple of years ago.

I think there's a fair chance that my next car may be a Soobie.

c5okklsqtlo9.png
  • Tony M
    A guy I know bought a nice outback about a year ago for almost nothing. ;):p

You're right, the head gasket was leaking. It was a 400.00 fix. He still stole that car for what he paid knowing it needed a Gasket job.

It was older than the one in your pick but it wasn't that old at all. I was envious in a way.
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »
    A guy I know bought a nice outback about a year ago for almost nothing. ;):p

You're right, the head gasket was leaking. It was a 400.00 fix. He still stole that car for what he paid knowing it needed a Gasket job.

It was older than the one in your pick but it wasn't that old at all. I was envious in a way.

Our son in law helped his buddy change the head gaskets on an ancient Subaru last year -- and he (S-I-L, that is) has an engine hoist. :) He says "aww, we can change the head gaskets, no problem!" ... :p

They went to more robust head gaskets ca. 2010. I think that one's a 2010 or 2011.
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The Subaru is pretty much the de facto official vehicle for much of Northern New England (FWIW).
    This is very true. And it was quite shocking after living in Florida for 15 years and probably seeing 3 Subarus the entire time I was there and then it seemed like EVERY OTHER VEHICLE in Vermont bore the seal of the Seven Sisters. :p
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Probaby worth mentioning at this juncture that Subaru, at least as I understand it, is Japanese for Pleiades (the Seven Sisters*).

qccsdochzl2o.png
    mjz4aedxjnwb.png

Now back to our regularly scheduled Demons.

• Viking64
    Thanks, Mark. Somehow I knew you would know that. The people from there like strawberry ice cream. (FWIW)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Can’t really say I’m that disappointed honestly. I halfway expected this after the car got shuttled around for two months after it was assembled. Lot damage happens all the time in the car business, and most is never disclosed.

I should have been contacted and had the situation explained, and Dodge should have done a correct repair instead of trying to half-a$$ it like the did. How a competent repair supervisor signed off on that is beyond me.

This bugs me because a friend of mine custom-ordered a Challenger SRT8 (dropped about $50k on it) a few years ago. IIRC he waited about 4 months for it to be delivered, but he was kept in the loop along the way, even had the window sticker that proclaimed the car was built especially for him. This is where it really gets frustrating/confusing; you WORK for Dodge, don't you? You are an employee and it took 10 months and the thing is damaged, not cool at all. Imagine the unsuspecting people who don't have the "inside info" you do, taking delivery of a +/- $100k car after waiting almost a year, only to have the deal fall apart because of poor quality control. The car was shuttled around for 2 months after assembly? Why?
    Unacceptable any way you look at it.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    It's because Fiat/Chrysler is programmed and staffed to primarily sell cheap economy cars that require a lot of after sale remedial servicing to make up for the shabby build quality and cheap sales prices, not expensive vehicles that cost as much or more than high end import vehicles. It's a business model that works for them, not necessarily the customer. It's a shame because some of their vehicles are fantastic performers, the vehicles tend to look really nice, and the technology in them appears to be cutting edge. At least that's been my experience for the last 30 years.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited April 2018
    Interesting thread. @nooshinjohn sorry for your loss. It is a disappointment for sure.

I can say that (yes I'm in the biz) the big auto manufacturers simply do not know how to build boutique cars well. They're constrained to build these things on a normal assembly lines, 50-60 per hour, which doesn't allow for the special care and attention that a boutique vehicle requires.

IIRC Brampton Assembly which built your Demon has an annual volume is over 200k units/year! So they intermix the Demon with other production vehicles on the same line. That is always a risk.

By comparison, Bowling Green assembly which builds the Corvette, only builds Corvettes! Line rate is much slower, and since they only focus on one model, the processes can be optimized to ensure the best possible outcome. Not perfect by any means, but a mature plant that knows how to build a single model is a better choice.

Even the tires on the Demon would not fit on the assembly equipment! They have to use facsimile tires during assembly and retrofit the real tires end of line. Not a big issue, but an example of trying to squeeze in a vehicle that does not really fit!

Will they get there? Eventually, yes, but the normal growing pains that arise whenever you launch a new vehicle are exacerbated with a specialty vehicle.

The customer's expectations toward a boutique vehicle are orders of magnitude higher than a normal high volume production vehicle. Another reason why special assembly processes and care/attention must be in order.

Again, very sorry it didn't work out for you.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    I will probably regret my decision to walk away at some point, and come Monday morning, somebody else will have my car in their garage. 15 years from now, perhaps my car is worth 5 times what I paid for it...

I was never a Dodge guy to start with, but the unique nature of this car got me... at the very least, I got to play a small part in the history of the muscle car in general, and built a car that is here because I wanted it that way.....

I miss it already.

• Tony M
    Was it that test drive coming back to haunt you all ready?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2018
    Not really, but the intoxicating sound of that supercharged V8 on startup and settles into idle, and then dropping the car into gear and you begin to feel the awesome power of this beast at your command, it is a thrill that little else can touch. Then you drop you foot and unleash hellish amounts of torque to those fat rear wheels and everything becomes a blur, except for what is right in front of you. The only thing I have ever felt like that was the take-off roll of an F/A-18... but that comes on more smoothly. This is an instantaneous jolt. Somebody compared it to the space shuttle in terms of the launch this car has.

I may still end up with one of these, perhaps a Hellcat Widebody in the same exact colors, but I am going to take a long step back for now.

• Tony M
    Your description of take-off makes me want a Demon now! :pB)
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    ktcoyvyob33y.jpg
    My buds HellCat. I don't think that car will have the allure of the Demon in the future.
This discussion has been closed.