Finally stepped up the sub's

13»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Oh yeah parents over.... When I was a kid my dad told me to turn it down. "When you grow up and get your own house you can play it as loud as you want". Well dear old dad I'm grown and I will play it as loud as I want.

For HOA, it takes a neighbors to complain about noise. None of my neighbors complain. well one did once, HOA said another neighbor needs to complain, none did.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    mrloren wrote: »
    Oh yeah parents over.... When I was a kid my dad told me to turn it down. "When you grow up and get your own house you can play it as loud as you want". Well dear old dad I'm grown and I will play it as loud as I want.

For HOA, it takes a neighbors to complain about noise. None of my neighbors complain. well one did once, HOA said another neighbor needs to complain, none did.

My neighbor just shows up..."What you watching"
    He is retired and his wife gets so pissed with me because he just disappears.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • @danzilla31
    Where did you end up setting the crossover for the S60s?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    dolbyd wrote: »

My neighbor just shows up..."What you watching"
    He is retired and his wife gets so pissed with me because he just disappears.
    LMAO she got no insurance on him!
  • jchandler3 wrote: »
    @danzilla31

Hey jchandler3 after playing around I liked 50 Hz for the 60's and the subs crossed over at 80hz. I don't know why maybe it's my room acoustics the way the S60's are built or a little of both but they sound the best at that crossover setting. I suspect a lot of it is to do with the S60's those are powerful speakers that can go DEEEEP. I just feel if I put em at 80hz there is a lot of midrange and upper bass they miss out on at the 50 to 80 Hz range that they want to play with they're is just a thinness to the sound that is subtle but definitely they're. But the 60's play deep and sound amazing without subwoofers. So handling 50hz is no problem for them.
    When I spoke to SVS customer service they also confirmed this. They said the PB 2000's would work well with a speaker like the S60 at that crossover point. They also helped me to not overdial the amps on the sub's cuz I kept wanting to push em a little too hot. But they confirmed my suspicion that I will eventually need to upgrade. And that's why I was wanting to push the amps too hot. The PB 2000's sound great but it's a big big open living area floor plan and to get perfect bass I'm gonna hafta journey a little farther down the rabbit hole lol. The PB 12 plus dual subs sounds like where I'm heading next year when I trade up. By the way like others have mentioned SVS customer service is fantastic. They were extremely helpful in helping me get them set up correctly.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    In all speakers, IMHO you need to find where your speakers begin drop off. If their drop off point beginning at 50hz the set the subs at 50-60...etc especially for music as you want that blend.

Now for HT you come up, especially for those big boom movies, set to low and you'll blow something on a heavy bass drop curve.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrloren
    My S60's are crossed over @ 60HZ and do just nicely. I do have them set to large but Marantz still allows crossover. When I set them to small my system sounds hollow, so large and in charge it is.

As for more sub, oh yeah. I went from a HSU VTF2-MK2 (12" 250 watt) to a VTF3-MK5 (15" 600 watt). Oh yes there is a ton of bass when called for.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    In all speakers, IMHO you need to find where your speakers begin drop off. If their drop off point beginning at 50hz the set the subs at 50-60...etc especially for music as you want that blend.

Now for HT you come up, especially for those big boom movies, set to low and you'll blow something on a heavy bass drop curve.

Yeah it's weird usually in all systems I've had they sound best at 80hz but 50 Hz for these it is in home theater and music. I'm really not to worried about blowing anything tho those S60's are powerful and they're rated to 26hz and I think they drop off well below 40hz I don't think the 26hz is the +- 3db standard but I bet you 30 or 32 Hz is about right. So they can go low and handle low and do it with a lotta power. For some weird reason 50 Hz is what's working so I'm going with it for now. Maybe that's why they sound too thin when I set the crossover at 80hz for movies. Like you said they're drop off point may be lower then some speakers I've had. That's a good point to look into thanks for the info.
  • mrloren wrote: »
    My S60's are crossed over @ 60HZ and do just nicely. I do have them set to large but Marantz still allows crossover. When I set them to small my system sounds hollow, so large and in charge it is.

As for more sub, oh yeah. I went from a HSU VTF2-MK2 (12" 250 watt) to a VTF3-MK5 (15" 600 watt). Oh yes there is a ton of bass when called for.

Yeah on my onkyo they allow the speakers to be large and the crossovers can be adjusted. Just like you my S60's seem to do nicely at that 50 or 60 Hz crossover point
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    FestYboy wrote: »
    HOAs can go # themselves... Nobody is going to tell me what I can and can't do on MY property.
    Good luck w/that!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2018
    Those SVS subs will rummemble your room nice.
    New word for the Bass lover’s vocabulary!

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Welcome to the real world of home audio :)
    ...HT too!
    I guess it does MIL on the first track. Thought we were having an earthquake.
    MIL??
  • gp4jesus
    danzilla31 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    My buddy is house hunting and he said he was looking at a place that had a nice patio out back, but the terms in the HOA said no smoking on the back patio.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    HOAs can go # themselves... Nobody is going to tell me what I can and can't do on MY property.

They're kind off a necessary evil but still evil! Lol
    UNECESSARY Evil. We survived our HOA horror. You can have ‘em!

• gp4jesus
    my kids, on the occasion I get carried away, complain to me. More often their personal devices are too load. You know the kind you can listen to ANYWHERE but they chose the HT/living room!

• gp4jesus
    danzilla31 wrote: »
    jchandler3 wrote: »
    @danzilla31

After playing around I liked 50 Hz for the 60's and the subs crossed over at 80hz. I don't know why maybe it's my room acoustics the way the S60's are built or a little of both but they sound the best at that crossover setting.

1. You may have a notch* that the overlap corrects
    2. You’re accustomed to a hump** in that range
    3. A combo of both.
    * room modes causing cancellation
    ** you posted same earlier

You’ll find moving your LR & sub’s just an inch or two in any direction can change those pesky bottom octaves.

That said, as someone posted earlier, in your “hot seat,” when the FR is even down to system cutoff, your setting are in harmony. An RTA would drastically cut your tuning time. (frustration too.)

Have fun and relax. Don’t get so wrapped up in your gear you forget why you got into this past time, one w/little if any regulation.

Hunters* & some fisherman hafta pay for license. Further some* have just few weeks out of the year to enjoy their pastime/passion. We can anytime we’re home.

Ears!
  • mrloren
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    ...HT too!
    MIL??

Mother in Law
  • mrloren wrote: »
    ...HT too!
    MIL??

Mother in Law

Hah hah!!!
  • mrloren
    Those SVS subs will rummemble your room nice.
    New word for the Bass lover’s vocabulary!

So sometimes I have flashbacks... rumble