RTiA9 with a vintage Sansui 771 or Pioneer SX535 Receiver

Hi,

First day on this forum :)

I love Polk Audio.

I currently have Polk Monitor 75T and 65T powered by a Sansui 771 receiver. I also have a Pioneer SX535 receiver that I have listened to with these speakers.

I am interested in buying a pair of RTiA9 to use with one of these receivers.

The Sansui is rated at 32W per channel and the Pioneer is 20W (I think).

Can anyone provide their opinion whether these receivers will work with the RTiA9??

Thanks a bunch..

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Nope.
    your going to want around 200 watts of power from a high current amp.
    They are power hungry.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited April 2018
    They'll work but don't crank it or you'll kill your tweeters at a minimum.

EDIT: And keep the bass at flat on the controls and the loudness switch OFF.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Thareek
    Thareek Posts: 7
    Ah I see.I was tempted to get these because they are on sale locally for $800 a pair :)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Thareek wrote: »
    Ah I see.I was tempted to get these because they are on sale locally for $800 a pair :)

Even your Monitor's would benefit from better amplification, you could go that route first.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Thareek wrote: »

That's been the biggest problem. Great deal on these big speakers until they come on the forum with burnt crossovers, blown tweeters,and/or damaged head-ends.

There has been a ton of RTiA9 owners that come to the forum with all these issues.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Thareek
    Thanks for the heads up folks. It would have been a pain to haul these back to the store once I figured they did not work.

I saw a pair of used Monitor 60 series 2 for sale locally. Will give those a try as I do like what I hear out of the monitors.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You're gonna need a bigger amp, period.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2018
    If available consider the RTi A5s. While they will happier w/more juice than you have, they’re no where near as demanding as the 9s or 7s.

No shame there
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Not to change the subject ;) but the 771 is an adorable little receiver. It wouldn't be a bad match for a pair of Monitor 5 or 7 if one wanted to go the vintage route.

Just saying.

• Thareek
    I am in Edmonton, Canada. Stumbling upon some older monitors if kinda difficult. Although that would be great.

I’ll checkout the RTiA5. They are on sale locally for $600 per pair (its Canada).

I’m also considering getting some Minitor 60 Series ii because I think they are similar to the minitor 65T that I now own and I like the sound when paird with the Sansui.

Decisions....
  • Thareek
    Quick update. I bought a pair T600 and RtiA7 to try out. Have about a month to decide on which to keep. From what I read, the T600 is basically a Monitor60.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    While the RtiA7s, power wise, are more forgiving than the ‘A9s, they still like power
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Thareek
    That’s what I figured. They were rated from 20w per channel and up. But, at $370 per, I thought it was a good deal (for Canada at least). That said, I am leaning towards the T600.
  • Thareek
    Does anyone have input on the signature S55 or S60 for my application? I recently listened to these and they were pretty awesome