Comments

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    Options
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    halo wrote: »

Is Lou the official nickname of St. Louis?

Sorry just saw this. I dunno if locals call it that but my group of transplants refers to it with that name.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Is Lou the official nickname of St. Louis?

Probably not "official". Lou is french for "toilet". Spokane,WA is not so affectionately called "the can". Of course where I come from The Dalles was named by the French trapping company and means "the gutter". French... Don't get me started.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
  • Moss_Man
    Moss_Man Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Halo. Great looking set up. The build quality looks superb on this series.
    I know you said you didn't crank them, but do you think a modern 2ch receiver from h/k or Yamaha would drive them well at the listening levels you described?
    I have one of the bookshelf on my list for next speaker purchase. It's a different model, but just wanted to get a general idea of how easy they are to power.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Moss_Man wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, Halo. Great looking set up. The build quality looks superb on this series.
    I know you said you didn't crank them, but do you think a modern 2ch receiver from h/k or Yamaha would drive them well at the listening levels you described?
    I have one of the bookshelf on my list for next speaker purchase. It's a different model, but just wanted to get a general idea of how easy they are to power.

Yes, I think you'll be fine. I used to have an HK AVR340 and that drove several different speakers very nicely.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Moss_Man
    Moss_Man Posts: 28
    edited April 2018
    Options

Moss_Man wrote: »

Yes, I think you'll be fine. I used to have an HK AVR340 and that drove several different speakers very nicely.

Excellent! Thank you.

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As Mamma's Pride used to sing - 'Ole St Lou. A great local band from years ago. In my younger years I lived on the east side of the river. An IL boy of sorts.
    [
  • halo
    Options
    miner wrote: »
    As Mamma's Pride used to sing - 'Ole St Lou. A great local band from years ago. In my younger years I lived on the east side of the river. An IL boy of sorts.

East St. Louis is not the best part of town these days (so I’ve been told).
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Love the look of the new digs! If I'm ever visiting, I'll let you know.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had a friend who lived there for 10 years and she said the pizza in St. Louis is beyond terrible!!! They use Provolone not mozzarella So keep those Lou Malnadi's coming....lol
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • halo
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I had a friend who lived there for 10 years and she said the pizza in St. Louis is beyond terrible!!! They use Provolone not mozzarella So keep those Lou Malnadi's coming....lol

You’re not wrong. It’s awful. Well, Saint Louis “style” pizza is horrible. I’ve yet to have a decent slice of pizza since we moved here.

Thanks Brock. Ya, of course, you are more than welcome to stop by and hog the sweet spot. lol :p
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options

It's worse than provolone. It's a processed cheese called "provel". And the crust is thin and crispy, like a cracker.

Read at risk of being physically ill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_pizza
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options

No Mozz or at the very least Muenster is a big no in my book on Pizza. I mean Arizona isn't known for Pizza but we get lots of people from Chicago, New York, Italy etc so we have choices.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Go to Black Jack in North county to Angelo's. It's NOT a chain, it's a single, family owned pizza place that has been there since I was like 12. The best pizza I have ever eaten.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • halo
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Go to Black Jack in North county to Angelo's. It's NOT a chain, it's a single, family owned pizza place that has been there since I was like 12. The best pizza I have ever eaten.

Thank you for the suggestion Steve! I will keep it in mind. We will be back in Chicago this summer for a brief period so I will be stocking up on the good stuff while I'm there! lol.

Thankfully, I can get frozen pizzas from Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder to take back with me :D . That's the best pizza I've ever had (Yes, I've been to New York & tried Ray's & Famous Original Ray's Pizzas but I still prefer deep dish to flat and floppy).

For "true" Chicago-style pizza, I used to like Pizzeria Due (downtown Chicago) but their quality was slipping the last few years so I put Gino's East at the top spot followed by Lou Malnati's with Giordano's coming in third. Connie's Pizza is OK but, to me, it's not at the same level as the others. I've had Home Run Inn and it was alright. Beggar's Pizza is supposed to be good but I haven't had it.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    FYI, Pi Pizzeria here in St. Louis makes some Chicago style pizza. Check them out.

http://pi-pizza.com/
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Gino's is my favorite Chicago pizzeria. Lou's in right up there too. We're lucky because Rockford has awesome Mom and Pop pizzeria's from Italian immigrant families that made their home here generations ago.

We also have a Giordano's so I can get "authentic" deep dish pizza too. We often joke about why the chains even bother coming to Rockford, since we have sooooo many great pizza joints. There is no reason (other than price) to eat Papa John's, Domino's, Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's. But you get what you pay for.

H9

P.s. My friend that lived in St. Louis for 10 years was so happy to move back here because of the pizza!!!
  • halo
    Options
    Gino's is my favorite Chicago pizzeria. Lou's in right up there too. We're lucky because Rockford has awesome Mom and Pop pizzeria's from Italian immigrant families that made their home here generations ago.

We also have a Giordano's so I can get "authentic" deep dish pizza too. We often joke about why the chains even bother coming to Rockford, since we have sooooo many great pizza joints. There is no reason (other than price) to eat Papa John's, Domino's, Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's. But you get what you pay for.

H9

P.s. My friend that lived in St. Louis for 10 years was so happy to move back here because of the pizza!!!

I don't know why you say that Giordano's is the only "authentic" deep dish of the pizza places you listed. Pizzeria Uno (and Due) were the original "deep dish/Chicago-style" pizza restaurants in town. One of the employees left there and started Gino's East. Both have the cornmeal crust. Gino's used the taxi drivers to get clients in the door. When clients would ask where to go for pizza, taxi drivers took them to Gino's. Giordano's is a spin-off of the others and Connie's is similar. Lou Malnati's is a little different but still very good; # 2 in my book.

That's my understanding behind some of the history of Chicago style pizza.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    I like Gino's East Pizza, never had Lou's. One of my brothers lived in various Chicago burbs for a few years, then to Rockford for a short time, then DeKalb and finally back to Nebraska in the mid 90's. But Omaha recently topped a poll taken by Giordano's, so we will be getting one in the near future. Nice! http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/giordano-s-official-confirms-pizza-chain-will-open-omaha-location/article_95258d2f-bf1d-5c9c-bde9-ee81449641ea.html
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    miner wrote: »

East St. Louis is not the best part of town these days (so I’ve been told).

Much further into IL - 45 miles away.
    [