HDMI ARC

Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
My TV doesn't have an HDMI out but one of the HDMI connections is an ARC. But I can't get the signal from the TV to the AVR.

I tried several different variations of the settings for ARC in both the AVR and the TV. I have the HDMI out of the receiver to the ARC input on the TV but don't seem to be getting a return. I tried 3 different HDMI cables.

Any thoughts? I feel like it's my issue, just don't know what that is. There's no analog output on the TV other than the headphone connection.

It's a Hisense TV, I know, I know, but it looks pretty good and doesn't get that much use. The receiver is the Pio Elite SC-63 I got from Skip. I don't have cable, I have an antenna hooked to the TV and want to send the audio from it to the AVR, and even more so, when I use the TV for Netflix would like better sound.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    May want to look under sound, speakers, or something like that on your tv. Set to external, or whatever they happen to call it
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    iirc another option is...if your tv has an optical out, use that to your AVR. This will bring the audio to your AVR for surround sound and processing.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Some TVs require ARC to be enabled through the settings. Have you give through the TVs menus?
  • mdaudioguy
    Also, some TVs don't support audio pass-through via HDMI, only output of the audio from apps. Is that what you're trying to output?
  • Jimbo18
    I went through all kinds of options. I enabled ARC on both the TV and the AVR. The manual on the TV explains the ARC setting, but it only addresses hooking it to a soundbar, not an AVR.

I did try the optical out and that didn't work either, so it's probably in a setting somewhere, I just can't figure out what it is. I think I tried every version of the settings on both.

It's gotten to where it's become a need to figure it out, more than a desire to improve the sound.
  • mdaudioguy
    Got a link to the TV manual?
  • Manticore
    Strange the optical out did not work. That's what its there for. Again maybe another setting. /\/\/\/\ The link to the manual would be helpful.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2018
    On most pio elites you have to assign the output......if you hook up the avr to the tv and use an optical out, you will have to go into the menu and assign that value (opt out) in the “manual setup” settings. Maybe you’ve tried that - if you have apologies for being redundant.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Jimbo18
    The TV is a Hisense 55H7b. Thanks for the suggestions.

https://www.hisense-usa.com/support/models/55h7c
  • Manticore
    edited April 2018
    @Jimbo18 Pages 5 & 6 has the info that "should" work. Plug that optical cable to output from tv to your AVR and then
    " then be sure to go into the Advanced Audio Settings of the
    TV and select RAW to receive the 5.1 channel audio. You will need to also go into the sound or audio settings of your device to
    ensure it is set to 5.1 Channel output. It may read ‘Bitstream’, ‘RAW’ or ‘Digital."

Choose sound> Advanced Audio Settings > Digital Audio Out:
    Select the digital audio output format that best suits the audio
    device type. For example, choose RAW (which is uncompressed audio in RAW form)
    if you have 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Speaker set up. Choose PCM if you have an
    amplifier that does not support Dolby Digital technology.

See if that works. Also the possibility you might have to check Audio Out: to
    Change the way audio is sent through the type of device that’s
    connected to your TV Audio Out port.

Don't forget to set the AVR to play the optical in.

My AVR has assignable inputs so I would choose the optical in and assign it to/as cable TV. I hope this helps some.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Let me start out by saying ARC Sucks bad. You can set it up perfectly according to both the TV and AVR manual and get no sound. When you have a Sony TV and a Sony AVR then you can get ARC to work. When mixing 2 different brands seems like a hopeless cause.
    I got ARC to work once and that is it. basically what I go is run a Optical cable from the TV to a given input on the AVR. As said above you have to assign the Optical input on the Pioneer SC to whatever input you want to use.
    On the TV side you have to enable Audio out so the Tv internal speakers shut off and the Optical output is ON.

This will work every single time unless you didn't set up the AVR or Tv correctly.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I have had good luck with ARC on my Yamaha sound bars, more like a receiver than a sound bar, and Sharp Aquos TV's but my signal path is slightly different.

Direct TV HDMI out to Yamaha HDMI in, Yamaha HDMI out to Sharp Aqous HDMI in.

This configuration allows the TV to completely control the Yamaha. When TV is turned on/off Yamaha automatically turns on/off. When TV volume is changed it really is acting upon the Yamaha even though the on screen menu is still functioning as expected on the TV.

And if the Yamaha is not needed then I just have to turn it off and the Yamaha passes the HDMI signal to the TV even though it is not powered on and the TV speakers start to play. Then the next time I turn the TV on the TV and the Yamaha power up.

Its a great solution for the electronic impaired. My wife and Dad never have a problem operating it.

Good luck in your search for solutions.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mdaudioguy
    mantis wrote: »
    Let me start out by saying ARC Sucks bad. You can set it up perfectly according to both the TV and AVR manual and get no sound. When you have a Sony TV and a Sony AVR then you can get ARC to work. When mixing 2 different brands seems like a hopeless cause.
    I got ARC to work once and that is it. basically what I go is run a Optical cable from the TV to a given input on the AVR. As said above you have to assign the Optical input on the Pioneer SC to whatever input you want to use.
    On the TV side you have to enable Audio out so the Tv internal speakers shut off and the Optical output is ON.

This will work every single time unless you didn't set up the AVR or Tv correctly.
    Too many generalizations here. I've had ARC work just fine with many combinations of TVs and receivers. It's more often a problem with older model TVs.
  • Jimbo18
    I have only ever had ARC work on one receiver/tv combo. Having said that, I think this is still my issue, especially since the optical out didn't work either.

Mantis, what you suggest is what I did so I am not sure what the issue is. Hopefully, not something with the AVR.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    ARC works great between my Samsung and Denon. It didn't work as well with my Yamaha RX-A1010, which was several years older than the Denon, so it makes sense to me that it didn't work as well.

I am, however, about to disconnect mine and just use the standard HDMI input. Because the TV controls the receiver, when I am watching TV and want to listen to music and I push listen to music on my harmony remote, the tv gets turned off and then it shuts off the receiver, so then I have to push help on the harmony. It also often forces the reciever to the TV audio input (the ARC input) when I want to use one of the receiver's HDMI inputs for blu ray or Roku to get the better audio codexes that the tv cannot output over ARC.

But if you don't care about those better audio codexes and you use the apps in your tv to stream music, the ARC is very easy and convenient. I agree it would be great for older parents...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Thanks, everyone. Lots of good suggestions. I think I tried them all when I tried to set it up, but will go back to make sure. I think I will give up on the ARC and just work to get the optical working right. It's not a big deal, it's just the antenna to the TV which we mostly use for news and Jeopardy.
  • Manticore
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    It's not a big deal, it's just the antenna to the TV which we mostly use for news and Jeopardy.
    Yeah but, you want Jeopardy to sound its best :p

Hope things work out. Its very frustrating when something that is supposed to work won't!!

Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Jimbo18
    edited April 2018
    Never did get the ARC working, but I tried a different optical cable and that works fine. Bad cable before, I guess. Thanks for the help.