Harman Kardon Onyx Studio Wireless Bluetooth Speaker

Options
WLDock
WLDock Posts: 3,073
edited March 2015 in Speakers
I got a Harman Kardon Onyx Studio Wireless Bluetooth Speaker as a gift and have been using it for awhile now. The thing has been pretty problem free and is robust in performance. Some of my thoughts:

- Super simple easy to use design, minimal buttons, portable w/ cutout handle
- Rechargeable, good battery life. Listed at 5 Hrs, I have seen at least 3.5-4 Hrs.
- Easy Bluetooth pairing
- The Bluetooth range is good but not great
- The sound is good!

The bad:
- No direct wired inputs (Has been added to the new version)

While I've not heard even half of the Bluetooth speakers out there this one was to be in top compared to the ones that I have heard. The bass is there (60Hz-20kHz response) and can get pretty full if placed next to the corner. Almost too much for some but great for filling a small room for dancing. Also, the two-way design with separate 2 x 3” woofers, 2 x 3/4” tweeters, 2 x passive radiators and 4 x 15 watts makes for nice midrange and treble. The sound is not as good as say a nice bookshelf system but better than your average Bluetooth speaker.

I demoed it for my co-workers playing the Chris Jones track "Long After Your Gone" , a FLAC load on youtube, from my phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Zce9gmjIA
All were floored that so much clean full sound could come from something so small.

At the $400 retail price I don't know if I would pay that for it. However with these going for under $100 on sale, refurb, used, etc on ebay, Amazon, they might be nice for some to check out. There's an improved version out also. So far I am impressed with what Harman is doing.

Website
http://www.harmankardon.com/images/genericpages/onyxstudio/index.html?utm_medium=qrcodes&utm_source=qrcodes&utm_campaign=qrcodes

b2c3a061-c232-47b5-8136-602b9f203c48.jpg
4a888e7e-8ee8-4b93-af4d-3d48d4226347.jpg
a82f43c7-b9dc-4cf2-90e3-7e083321caa3.jpg
2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2

Comments

• MarkJ30
    MarkJ30 Posts: 1
    Options
    Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 2 looks cool. I still liked this table Product Comparison: Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 2 vs Bose SoundLink . The characteristics are impressive. Harman Cardon praises the whole Internet.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I just got the Onyx 4, and a bluetooth adapter for my PC to play music in for our dining area/kitchen while cooking and entertaining.
    The range is good, over 30 feet around a corner, and I set it on top of our 6 foot tall buffet, which did more than I thought to add some ooomph to the low end. For what I need, and what I expected, I like this thing. Listed at $131 on Amazon, so with some points I had, total outlay was $60.
    I have an old an old and new install of Jriver on the PC, so I have one configured for ASIO and my office rig, the older version set up to use the Onyx drivers. Really, it all works our pretty slick.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • WLDock
    Options
    It looks like they made a good thing even better.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Spam, once again, reported. the other spammer who usually is with him isn’t here yet.
  • WLDock
    Options
    What the hell is the spam about? Strange that they are not trying to advertise anything.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    What the hell is the spam about? Strange that they are not trying to advertise anything.

The links are in their signatures.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    ezraf1309 wrote: »
    Random equipment on standby

Mostly a bunch of junk I don’t need, but are too good to throw away. That does need updating though, a lot of it is gone.