Should Monitor 5JR+ Have Some Bass?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,430
I was messing with some gear earlier today and took a notion to switch in some Monitor 5JR+ I'd picked up a couple of years ago to match some other vintage Polks.

I don't expect a whole lot out of them, but these poor things seem really bassless. I figured when I first got they'd need crossover work, but they're really empty.

They're supposed to make some bass, aren't they?
http://web.archive.org/web/20131215055428/http://www.polkaudio.com:80/products/monitor5jr

pum4agocgphb.png
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yeah, obviously with a 6-1/2" midrange driver and PR, you aren't going to get much bass, but you still should get some. My set deliver very nicely with a little bit of very nice, natural-sounding bass. You might possibly have leaky cabinets. Have you done the air-tight test with pressing on the PRs to see how the midrange drivers reacts? If they are returning back to their original position less than about two seconds after you push in and hold the PR, they may need a re-seal of the cabinets' seams.

Or.....have you checked your preamp? You may have your treble turned up and/or your bass down! :p
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Both pair I have put it out... The pair in the kitchen are such that I have to pull some bass out. Granted the room is only 10×10ish, but they easily fill the space.
  • msg
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Yeah, obviously with a 6-1/2" midrange driver and PR, you aren't going to get much bass, but you still should get some. My set deliver very nicely with a little bit of very nice, natural-sounding bass. You might possibly have leaky cabinets. Have you done the air-tight test with pressing on the PRs to see how the midrange drivers reacts? If they are returning back to their original position less than about two seconds after you push in and hold the PR, they may need a re-seal of the cabinets' seams.

Or.....have you checked your preamp? You may have your treble turned up and/or your bass down! :p
    Hmmt. Could be leaky. Just checked them again, and I'd say just barely 2 seconds, if that. Yeah, I'm not expecting to get too much out of them, but they're pretty empty down there. Like, flappy pants empty down there.

Ha, tone controls?!? BLASphemer!!! I haven't used tone controls in three years!
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Both pair I have put it out... The pair in the kitchen are such that I have to pull some bass out. Granted the room is only 10×10ish, but they easily fill the space.
    Yeah, there's something off with these. This is in a small room, too.

Thanks for confirming, fellas. I'll give them the once over and slate them for rebuild.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Drew, what the... that's like the abstract jazz non-patterned strobe of electronica!
    Does have a spot of bass though.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Play something with some bass?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    My set has bass. Enough to surprise the heck out of me.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2018
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Scott howd you make out with these speakers ? Did you check tightness on screws n all gaskets to be ok (including rear). 2 seconds isnt good-seems like it should be better. I had some awhile back & enjoyed them alot. The bass was pleasing to me. Hope all is well
    Randy/Maine
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    They should have one roll or possibly looser stuffing up behind the tweeter. I found doubling it, so it was also behind the MW too, helped for richer bass. I have two sets of 5Jr+'s and stole the stuffing out of one to add to the other.

That said 5jr+ will not have room filling bass at moderate volumes, and I think start rolling off around 70-80Hz in a regular room. The -3db at 48 seams a bit of a stretch. I think they fall off pretty quick after 50Hz, and are well down at 40Hz. Wall and "bookshelf" positioning can help bring up the bass. At low volumes I think the rolloff is less noticeable.

That is in a room regular room. Now put them in a small office or sit fairly close to them, and at a medium volume the bass is there. I am impressed and like the sound. The bass is very tight, and still rich. A sub at ~35-40Hz would only be needed if you wanted to feel more bass.

From the purists sense I am not adverse to tone controls with these. A sub may be purer, but with a little bass boost at 50Hz and below, at moderate volumes they sound like a very full speaker and dig deep. They will produce a decent 30Hz tone.

The Hafler tone control on the DH-100 and 101 is not supposed to have near as much adverse effects as others. Years ago I measured it as picking up about 50Hz and below and being pretty flat at half boost. The spec's say ±12db @20Hz. At some point I found the charts on the frequency curves for it. I think it boosts some at 20Hz, and as the boost is increased it extends the starting point to higher frequencies while not over boosting the center frequency. I have only used it between 1/4 and 1/2 boost. It smoothly picked up the bass on these, 4's, and peerless M5's when you don't have a sub, and want a little more low end bass.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Not the final word in bass (obviously), but quite decent for what they are.
    Just compared to our Rti6, and the 5jr+, have less deep bass, but a bit more upper bass, and none of the overdone treble.