Low volume with LSi15, LSiC and Sony DA3000ES amp

Options
bbeacham
bbeacham Posts: 141
edited April 2004 in Troubleshooting
A month ago I decided to splurge and upgrade my home theater. I bought a Sony STR-DA3000ES digital amp (150w/ch @ 8 ohms, 135W/ch @ 4ohms), 2 LSi15, 1 LSiC, 2 LSi7, and a PSW 404 sub-woofer.

The problem is that the receiver appears under-powered. It needs to be turned nearly all the way up before it starts getting loud, but at this level there is tremendous hiss.

At a Sony users forum, http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9628&forum=51
others are also complaining about this issue, but they have differant speakers.

So far there isn't a consensus as to whether this is a Sony amp problem or a speaker problem. Some people are saying that digital amps will not work very well with 4 ohm speakers (LSi series)

I have a replacement DA3000ES on-order to see if it has the same problem (Crutchfield has been very kind to send me a replacement before I send my amp back).

Does anyone have any idea or opinion as to what might be the issue?

Thanks.

bud
Post edited by bbeacham on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The hiss is definetly from the AVR. I am also a member over at Agoraquest, and have read all kinds of bad comments and information on the new ES series. I wouldn't bother with the replacement, and pick another manufacturer. The problems are very widespread on that new series, and I wouldn't trust it at all.

I never recommend the new ES series, and I am a Sony fan 100%.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pixiedave
    pixiedave Posts: 227
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Sony STR-DA3000ES
    Lsi15
    Lsi9
    LsiFX
    Lsic

Almost the same system asyours, no problems here sounds great.

I am also a Sony fan Even had a Betamax
    The only problem I ever had with a Sony product is a 5+ year old DVD 5 disc player that had a software bug. Sony would have fixed it for free, but I was to lazy to ship it. It still mostly works. The bug was in a bell and whistle, It plays discs perfectly.

I hope it was just that Amp, and the new one works.

I own the following Sony products;
    DVCAM
    DAT
    Cassete Walkman
    The ES
    Two DVD/SACD players
    One dvd-rw deck
    One vhs player
    a sony tripod

I am a brand loyalist I guess .-
    Purple.jpg
    You never blow your trip forever! < Daevid Allen
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Something is wrong with these figures, "(150w/ch @ 8 ohms, 135W/ch @ 4ohms)" The wpc at 4 ohms should be higher than the 8 ohm rating.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bbeacham
    edited March 2004
    Options
    "Something is wrong with these figures, "(150w/ch @ 8 ohms, 135W/ch @ 4ohms)" The wpc at 4 ohms should be higher than the 8 ohm rating."

That is what the manual says. I also thought that the power would be greater with 4 ohms but individuals on the Sony forum are stating this is correct. For some reason digital amps produce less power with loads less than 8 ohms.

Perhaps an engineer can give a detailed explanation.

bud
  • pixiedave
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Something is wrong with these figures, "(150w/ch @ 8 ohms, 135W/ch @ 4ohms)" The wpc at 4 ohms should be higher than the 8 ohm rating.
    I agree, but these are the published figures.
    Purple.jpg
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2004
    Options
    "(150w/ch @ 8 ohms, 135W/ch @ 4ohms)" The wpc at 4 ohms should be higher than the 8 ohm rating.

Then Sony designed this receiver with a small size power supply. Power rail must be lower at 4 ohm load. That is ****, return it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• F1nut
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Hmmmm....if those specs are true then I agree with DJ, return the POS!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,029
    edited March 2004
    Options
    My Sony Alarm clock puts out 200 watts into 8 ohms, at 4 ohms it loses time and goes into protection mode.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Good Lord,

200 watts first thing in the morning :eek:

That's is one killer Alarm Clock.

Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    My Sony Alarm clock puts out 200 watts into 8 ohms, at 4 ohms it loses time and goes into protection mode.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Pixie - I am real glad that you were blessed with a good piece of gear. The hiss problem is very widespread, and that is a real disappointment for Sony fans.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pixiedave
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yes i began reading the other forums when I read this thread, and the problem is wide spread. I would be upset too.
    Why I got lucky I do not know, but I count my blessings and am happy with my purchase. (as happy as anyone can be in this hobby when you can always go better!:) )
    Purple.jpg
  • bbeacham
    edited March 2004
    Options
    This is a follow up on my original post regarding the low volume level with the LSi speakers and the Sony STR-DA3000ES amp.

Crutchfield sent me a replacement amp and the new system works fine. It appears that Sony made a batch of bad receivers since there are many people with this problem.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2004
    Options
    That's good to know since things seem to be migrating towards digital amplifiers.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Very good to hear that you are fixed and running clean again.

Sony has claimed un-officially that there was a problem, finally...mostly in response to responsible forum members around the globe :D
  • tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited March 2004
    Options
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by tony27
    that will teach consumers out there to stay away from sony receivers. even the es line is JUNK!

Watch it, rookie. We've got quite a few ES users on the forum that take offense to that kind of "broad brush" statement
  • pixiedave
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ken brydson
    Watch it, rookie. We've got quite a few ES users on the forum that take offense to that kind of "broad brush" statement
    OOOH!! put him in his place! I have the same amp discussed in this thread, and i am pleased. It is the most recent in a long list of sony products I have owned, including a betamax and an original walkman. Complete list at top of thread.
    Purple.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by tony27
    even the es line is JUNK!

Really!?! I've owned ES gear that has put alot of other gear to shame.

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Hear hear, Jesse! statement like the above ought to be ignored...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Blah blah, nothing like a Sony basher to keep us on our toes every couple months. We will most likely never hear from him again, or any data supporting the comment. Atypical.
  • bbeacham
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Once I received my replacement STR-DA3000ES from Sony I have been very happy with it. Even the bad amp sounded great at low volume. Coupled with the LSi speakers I am just amazed at how good the new 3000ES sounds.

My only other Sony product at this time is a DVD player (550) I purchased in May 99. It still works great.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I too was bummed when I bought an ES receiver. Sony seems to be a bit off when they publish their numbers for power. Don't fret though....they will make a good pre/amp. Just hook up some separate amps........I use the DA3-ES as a pre-amp and hooked up two Para HCA-1500's with a Marantz MA-500. After some wrestling with a ground loop problem, I couldn't be happier with the ES performance.
  • jbaranyar@yahoo
    Options
    Polk audio PSW 404 does not power up
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Polk audio PSW 404 does not power up

Might want to post this in the subwoofer area...

There is a fuse directly below the IEC plug on the plate amp, check that first.