Will a disc player barn rot from lack of use?

How should one be stored long term?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Upside down in a dark, damp place.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    F1nut wrote: »
    Upside down in a dark, damp place.

So I should hang it next to me in my bedroom?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Yes
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited April 2018
    Humidity control is the key here. I would say used a sealed bag with some desiccant if you have it, to prevent corrosion of the metal components.

Any drive belts, especially the older variety, suffer from dry rot of some sort, so special care is needed there.

I did neither of those on some older players that I have. Just stacked em up in the corner of the basement. After years, a little hint of corrosion on the bottom of the chassis appeared.

Oh yes, and get it out of the barn!

Live and Learn! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I wonder if one of those food vacuum sealers would have large enough bags for stereo equipment.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    sort of. Some of them have rubber belts that drive the drawers. Those belts don't age well.

Otherwise, they're fairly robust IMO. The optics might get dusty/grimy/mildewed. The lubricants (tray glides, e.g.) may get galled up.

Avoid damp places but not too hot, not cold and not too dry are also probably best practices. :)

That's what I've got.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    The best solution is Dynamatting all flat metal surfaces and smothering all board components and the entire transport mechanism with hot glue.
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    The best solution is Dynamatting all flat metal surfaces and smothering all board components and the entire transport mechanism with hot glue.

How'd that work out for ya? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    verb wrote: »
    How'd that work out for ya? :smile:

Great!

barn rot intensity level = zero
  • Viking64
    That reminds me, there is a 1958 Telefunken stereo console in the barn chock full of vintage spare tubes still in boxes. I need to go have have another peek at that. :p
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    That reminds me, there is a 1958 Telefunken stereo console in the barn chock full of vintage spare tubes still in boxes. I need to go have have another peek at that. :p

Do tell...Can I place myself near the front of the line if you decide to part with some, or, all of them???
  • Viking64
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Do tell...Can I place myself near the front of the line if you decide to part with some, or, all of them???
    Duly noted. Although I don't see myself as someone that is going to package and ship tubes any time soon. :p
  • afterburnt
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I wonder if one of those food vacuum sealers would have large enough bags for stereo equipment.

That gives me a great idea (great for me) I am gonna get some of them vacuum bags that you put clothes and carp in and vacuum the air out of. That should keep it sort of inert.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Duly noted. Although I don't see myself as someone that is going to package and ship tubes any time soon. :p

Ya bum! :)
  • afterburnt
    I should maybe pack my whole HT system in cosmoline?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Make sure you put your remotes in ziplock bags too while you're at it.

TV-REMOTE-in-bag.jpg?resize=800%2C600
    I should maybe pack my whole HT system in cosmoline?

• afterburnt
    They are already tagged and bagged
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    I've had a couple of computer DVD burners have issues after sitting for years unused. Both were Sony drives in other brand burner chassis. They both burned coaster after coasters, and after playing a CD in them, it was obvious why. Both had lasers that weren't tracking well at all, I'm guessing the little servo motor that adjusts the laser was gummed up. "exercizing" the laser by continuously playing a CD got both of them sounding, and burning, ok. But they later (several months) both failed totally. As cheap as they were, it didn't shock me. I think they were both about $20 each, with Nero!
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • afterburnt
    The optical drive in my laptop died from lack of use.
  • verb
    The optical drive in my laptop died from lack of use.

Among other things, ahem! :smile:
  • afterburnt
    No, that ran away