IFI Purifier 2

machone
machone Posts: 1,471
I received my IFI Purifier 2 yesterday and wanted to share my initial findings with you all.

1cdozul9oedo.jpg

First it is packaged very well and its construction is solid with its all aluminum housing.

zfmanlf2sh3h.jpg

8bzev7dac8m4.jpg

I inserted the Purifier 2 in between my Marantz SA8005's USB port and my Starlight 7 USB cable which is connected to my Quantum Byte solid state music server.

fpf7eaw5qvmr.jpg

During listening the first thing I noticed on my system is more articulate bass with better extension. Drums have better transient or faster response with more power but without seeming unatural. There seems to be more definition in high frequencies with vocals being very natural and detailed all without any harshness. Sound stage depth and imaging is better with some music moving forward from the speakers closer to my listening position. The acoustic guitar in Pink Floyd's, The Wall, Goodbye Blue Sky really moved forward and felt like it was in the room with me.

Overall a very pleasant listening session that I hope to reproduce tonight.

I am pretty sure it's a keeper.

Bob

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I have been interested in trying one out. So its like the jitterbug but supposedly better yes?
    How long did you let it burn in?.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • machone
    It's burning in as I use it. It was brand new when I wrote the first post.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited July 2016
    Thanks both. So it might even im9IRBCUore after a good 200 hours are on it.

I think getting the digital side better in my rig is going to be my next step and I might need to give this a try.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • machone
    I wanted to update this thread with my latest experience with the IFI Purifier2.

A year ago I decided to keep things as simple as possible when I installed the four 20 amp dedicated power circuits so I removed the IFI. I never reinstalled it until just now.

During the last year I have upgraded the Hafler 500 with new driver boards and power cord, upgraded power cords to the Mojo power supply and Marantz SA8500, added many acoustic panels and last but not least I introduced the Modwright preamp with an upgraded power cord.

Now that the power cords have settled in I decided to add the IFI back into the mix. It is installed in the same place as before between the USB cable and the Marantz (used as the DAC).

This time the results are very noticeable with tighter bass, really spectacular imaging and everything forward. After listening for several nights with and without it in the system I find that I love the imaging and tone but it is a little too forward and the bass can be a little thin with some recordings. An example of this is JB "Blow by Blow".

I thought about it for a little and decided to move the speakers back an inch towards the wall. They have been at 7" for a long time and the last time I moved them to 6" I did not like the results. But I don't have the same system as a year ago so I gave it a try.

Wow! The bass is plentiful but tight with the image moved back and the soundstage is w-i-d-e. I played many songs last night and was grinning from ear to ear.

If you are on the fence with this one give it a try. At $120 list it may be worth the risk. It sure is working in my system.

I love this hobby!!!
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2018
    @machone wich one do you have, they have a few pruducts with similar if not the same name?

Thanks
    Disregard ssw the pic
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks @machone for the write up. Just ordered one!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • machone
    I hope it works for you!
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• afterburnt
    @verb Yeah, let us know.
  • verb
    edited April 2018
    So today I received the iFi Purifier2 from Amazon via next shipping. Nice little package, even comes with a USB a-b adapter! Plugged it right away, played one of my favorite reference songs from Rush:

bn8cme1escdu.png

Running iTunes lossless format from a recent remastered release. Nearfield setup in my office. Same volume settings, native sampling rate, just as before without the iFi.

Right out of the box, I immediately noticed a difference. Bass was noticeably extended, tighter. Drums were crisper. Highs were further extended as well. I was hearing more cymbals than without the iFi! I'm not an audiophile, but dare I say soundstage extended as well?

For my nearfield setup, even at moderate listening levels, this nifty little device will bring more out of your source material for sure!

I'm looking forward to more experimentation with the baby!

Thanks @machone and @dskip for the recommendation! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    OMGWTFBBQ?! Now I need one of these babies!
  • verb
    I really like it! I spend most of my evenings (unfortunately) on the computer. WAF dictates moderate listening levels, so this little stick just brings out more.

More reference material:
    ugvj1fypa2mi.png
  • Clipdat
    Oh what? We needs ta TALK. You put her on right now, PUT HER ON THE PHONE THIS INSTANT.
    verb wrote: »
    WAF dictates moderate listening levels, so this little stick just brings out more.

• verb
    No thanks! I want to keep her! :smiley:
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I'm buying one now!
  • Clipdat
    I just ordered one. Kindof funny that the $90 DAC I'll be using it with costs less than it did ($120).
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Now you guys have me thinking I need one of these for my computer based headphone rig. Hmmm....
  • Clipdat
    That was fast.

l030s5lnb5qs.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Gotta tame the beast before you let it out of it's cage!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Hook it up!

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That was fast.

l030s5lnb5qs.jpg

Your clock radio has the wrong time on it.
  • Clipdat
    Are you sure about that? When I'm at my computer it's always "44.1 o'clock".
    lightman1 wrote: »

• afterburnt
    Are you sure about that? When I'm at my computer it's always "44.1 o'clock".
    lightman1 wrote: »

Dude, it's quarter after 44
  • Clipdat
    If only I could make the screen say 420 and post a pic of it for Jesse.

• verb
    If only I could make the screen say 420 and post a pic of it for Jesse.

ojlg6ecl7oxs.png
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Well, I'm still on the fence. Somebody going to give me a push?
  • Clipdat
    I should have a chance to try it out this weekend before or after I'm bending over for taxes.
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Well, I'm still on the fence. Somebody going to give me a push?

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited April 2018
    Have you guys read up on the iFi "Grand Slam" combo of the iFi Gemini cable and iFi iUSB power?

I find myself back here this AM after stumbling across, in other reading, a little device called a/the USB Disruptor, which is designed to separate the power from the USB, provide new power, and deactivate the conducting hardware of the USB cable.
    https://usbdisruptor.com/usb-disruptor-works/
    Got me thinking about whether iFi addresses this, and, of course, they have.

iFi has their version of this approach (while apparently offering additional tech) in their recommendation of the iPurifier2, Gemini cable, and iUSB. Looks like they're even offering power adapter/wall-warts.

Anyone considered this route? Seems to make a lot of sense for the best potential in USB DAC audio. The iPurifier2 alone seems to be stopping short of potential gains of separating power and removing unnecessarily conductive paths from the source to the DAC.

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-gemini/
    https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/
    https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

f6acwjiqdjow.png
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    I have but that cable is damn spensive!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited April 2018
    I have but that cable is damn spensive!
    It is, indeed.

I have to say, my initial experience with a USB DAC in a near field system offered noticeable improvement over networked Squeezebox player with digital coax. Imaging, specifically, and the experience felt more immersive and surrounding. Seems worth exploring USB power isolation and noise reduction. I'll have to see whether the USB DACs mention anything in their documentation about noise suppression.

This version of a USB Disruptor is the cheaper version of an isolation approach without iFi's additional tech. They apparently offer a separate USB cable that has the power and metal connectivity disabled for isolation. This no frills design is for those who wouldn't be partial to a particular USB cable. Reviews indicate the USBD offered greater improvement than any single USB cable upgrade the reviewers had tried.
    vbb88gggaqtu.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2018
    @msg Scott I have an ifi nano idsd and two ifi micro idsd's and I remember reading somewhere that one the other or both had their noise suppresion built in, however, when I asked them at ifi about the ipurifier 2 they said it would be an improvement when used with the idsd's. I would ask about that grand slam but I don't see myself buying that cable any time soon. Oh and Hans likes their wall warts. https://youtu.be/NxDey69KPAg