WTB: CD transport

Looking for a CD transport (no internal DAC). Cambridge CXC, etc.

Let me know what you got. Please and thank you.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I mean I was about to order the Cambridge Audio CXC today but everywhere I called wouldn't really budge on MSRP. Something about if they do they will get "cut off" by Cambridge Audio.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Check out the Cambridge eBay store. They have some great deals there!!
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: They don't have any CXC transports listed. Too bad.

I figured that they'd be giving these things away. Not sure why they're still so expensive. What kind of psycho lunatic still wants a transport these days besides me?
    Check out the Cambridge eBay store. They have some great deals there!!

• starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Wow, ebay is where I bought mine and they had a few then...guess folks are finding out how nice they are :) If you cant find one get a nice cd unit like the upper end Kenwood's or even my Marantz that I have for sale here :)
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • Conradicles
    They had a few the other day. Patience Danielson.
  • Clipdat
    I'll keep an eye on their ebay store, but I don't even see any CXC's in their completed/sold auctions.
    They had a few the other day. Patience Danielson.

• recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    I have a Pioneer PD-M53 and a PD 802 I no longer use with plenty of cartridges to boot

m4nhkb68tkhw.jpg

kr4lvgp1g84v.jpg

Send PM if interested

Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • starkiller
    Bought mine from them on Feb.15th, so two months ago...
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • Clipdat
    How much was it, if you don't mind me asking?
    starkiller wrote: »

• Clipdat
    Thanks for the offer, but as I mentioned in the OP, I'm specifically looking for a transport without an internal DAC.
    I have a Pioneer PD-M53 and a PD 802 I no longer use with plenty of cartridges to boot

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Don't rule out a cd player as some of the older ES, Elite and a few others had very good transports. You can simply bypass the dac by plugging digital out from transport in to another dac. That way if things change in the future you have more options.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, I already have several CD players with digital outputs.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Don't rule out a cd player as some of the older ES, Elite and a few others had very good transports. You can simply bypass the dac by plugging digital out from transport in to another dac. That way if things change in the future you have more options.

• kharp1
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is buying just a transport still may not get you the best transport. If its a size issue there are some smaller transports, but, still may not give you the best transport.
  • Clipdat
    That's fair. I will reconsider what I'm trying to accomplish. It seems like baseline transports are the CA CXC at $450 and the Nu-Prime CDT-8 Pro at $800.

The CDT-8 has pretty interesting specs: http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/product/cdt-8-pro/
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is buying just a transport still may not get you the best transport. If its a size issue there are some smaller transports, but, still may not give you the best transport.

• kharp1
    One of the key things on a transport is isolation. Look for a well built, we'll isolated unit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Have you run across any quality transports that have a USB out? Seems lots of DACs have USB in connections, but the units I've run across lack the USB out
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    As a result of my experience with unsuccessfully replacing the laser on my Music Hall CD player (see New Laser...thread), I was also shopping for a transports that are well under a grand, new or used. The Cambridge CXC and NuPrime are also the ones I was considering, along with Cyrus. I passed on a couple of CXCs on sale by TMR Audio, so you might check their website. Transports are just not as easy to find used, so I think that kharp1 has a good idea. I’m looking for lightly used CD players that have “well built, well isolated” transports. Which players qualify? Which ones should be avoided? I’d welcome any ideas.
  • kharp1
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Have you run across any quality transports that have a USB out? Seems lots of DACs have USB in connections, but the units I've run across lack the USB out

Not many.
  • GlennDog
    edited April 2018

Not many.

That's been my experience, too. So it begs the question. Why do manufacturers proudly claim that their DAC is a USB DAC ? When there might be compatibility issues ...

Sorry! No intention of hijacking this thread.
    After a response, I'll take it to the club house
    TIA

btw, I've used my OPPO as a transport and it worked real well ...
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • kharp1
    The USB input would probably be more files fed from a server or other file storage device. My Marantz SACD player has USB so the DAC, which is pretty good, can be utilized by several sources.
  • GlennDog
    Who knew? I didn't . . . Thanks Kerry!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Conradicles
    Cambridge has one for $338 on the bay site...
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for the heads up. But now @kharp1 got me thinking that it's not any better than a standard CDP of equivalent price point.
    Cambridge has one for $338 on the bay site...

• GlennDog
    "Previously owned" PS Audio PWT can be had for about 1.1K on the 'gon (and factory refurb, too)
    I'm happy with the one I recently picked-up. But, alas no USB connection
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Too rich for my blood.
    "Previously owned" PS Audio PWT can be had for about 1.1K on the 'gon (and factory refurb, too)
    I'm happy with the one I recently picked-up. But, alas no USB connection

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Audio Advisor has the CXC on sale $449
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CACXC
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Clipdat
    Not sure that is a sale price. $450 is what Amazon, Onecall, Crutchfield, etc. have it listed for.
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Audio Advisor has the CXC on sale $449
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CACXC

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    edited July 2018
    @Clipdat Not sure if you are still looking for one of these but this showed up today for $355. No affiliation.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649447441-cambridge-audio-cxc-cd-only-transport-new-warranty/
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Clipdat
    Hey good looking out, appreciate that. I've suspended my search for a dedicated transport for now, as I've just been using my Rotel RCD-1072 in that role lately.
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    @Clipdat Not sure if you are still looking for one of these but this showed up today for $355. No affiliation.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649447441-cambridge-audio-cxc-cd-only-transport-new-warranty/

• starkiller
    Clipdat wrote: »
    How much was it, if you don't mind me asking?
    starkiller wrote: »

Believe it was around $320.....