NAD Preamp vs NAD C740

Options
Alan_r
Alan_r Posts: 164
edited March 2018 in Electronics
Looking for some opinions to help me make my next move.

In one of my setups, I’m using a NAD C740 as a Pre. Kimber PBJ’s with upgraded WBT 0114 CU’s on both ends connects to a NAD 2700THX amplifier.

I’ve been planning to install a dedicated preamp and moving the C740 to a new system in a hobby room. Anyway, I’m looking at the NAD C160-C162 or NAD C165bee.

So do these statements make sense?

•The NAD C160 and C162 are very similar in performance to the Pre section of the NAD. C740 being they are basically the same components from the same generation.

•The NAD C165bee would be a significant upgrade from the NAD C740’s pre section.

•The pre section of the NAD C326Bee is similar in performance to the NAD C165bee being they are from the same generation and share parts.

My thoughts here come from the idea that NAD basically “stacks” their internal components to create Integrateds, receivers etc..For example, the NAD C740 is basically a C340 Integrated amp with a C440 tuner installed.

Does any of this make sense?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,604
    Options
    I don't understand why the C165BEE is so expensive.
  • Alan_r
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't understand why the C165BEE is so expensive.

Me neither. Even on the Bay’ they regularly go for over 50% new cost. Likely because it’s still a current release?

Regardless I highly doubt NAD went backwards with the C165bee compared to the 162. I think what I’m trying to compare is the Pre section of the C740 vs the dedicated C162 pre. Then decide if the “winner” for lack of a better term, is at the C165bee level, given the HUGE price difference. For this particular system I’m trying to stay under 5 notes while trying to maintain the synergy that I’ve got with the current setup.

Two things I absolutely require with the new pre is a remote and a phono input. I don’t want an external phono pre like I have in another room. Simplicity is very important and the less cables/gear, the better.
  • Alan_r
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Alright, I see this didn’t get anywhere.

I guess it will come down to what adjectives I like better from the magazine reviews.

The C160/C162 get described as “good” “sounds fine” “remember it fondly”.......

The C165bee gets described as “now this is Hi-Fi” “competitive multiple levels above its price Class” “You’d have to spend much much more to better this”..........

Based on high powered word value, the 165 seems to be a clear winner..
  • Clipdat
    Options
    If only it was possible to get it for $700 instead of $999.
  • Alan_r
    Options
    If only it was possible to get it for $700 instead of $999.

When comparing the C160-C162 and C165bee, used, were talking $180-$250-$500. But at the $500 price point, we’re getting close to used NAD S100 and a few other brands, which started out in a different class than the Bee components.

That’s the weird thing about audio equipment upgrades, the point of diminishing returns is on an incredibly steep curve. At some point you have to consider all your other components. A NAD C162/C370 combo playing through RTiA7’s sounds like a comparatively good match, throw a $1500 preamp into that equation and the rest of the system lags far behind. I outlined the highest level system I’ll likely ever assemble in another thread, but this one isn’t that one. So the 165bee may be appropriate.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    A nice condition 165 for $500 would be a nice deal I think.
  • Alan_r
    Options

That’s what I’m starting to think/talk myself into as well. Man the “upgrade” thought virus is horrible. Lol. I’m currently sitting here listening to a new Piano Sonata CD and I’m really enjoying how this particular system sounds. But that little voice in the back of my head keeps whispering how much “better” it would sound using a 165bee instead of the C740 as a pre......does this EVER end?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Alan_r wrote: »

That’s what I’m starting to think/talk myself into as well. Man the “upgrade” thought virus is horrible. Lol. I’m currently sitting here listening to a new Piano Sonata CD and I’m really enjoying how this particular system sounds. But that little voice in the back of my head keeps whispering how much “better” it would sound using a 165bee instead of the C740 as a pre......does this EVER end?

Uh, never! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.