Another successful DFWAC meet: Brian's House

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    mpitogo wrote: »
    What does a boulder remote look like? OK sorry I don’t even know what a Boulder looks like, unless it made out of schist. House spanning two zip codes is out of my league, I’m only a CTO.

Here's the preamp pics and the remote pics

315boulder.bac.jpg

315boulder.remote.jpg

315boulder.promo_.jpg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Researched Boulder and found out the more you know, the more you don’t know. One a sliding scale they make McIntosh like like a value brand.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Researched Boulder and found out the more you know, the more you don’t know. One a sliding scale they make McIntosh like like a value brand.

Yes, I’ve always wanted to hear the bigger brother to my Boulder and I did. I was not disappointed.

Brian spoke to me on the side and said I have to get the Boulder preamp and get rid of my Cary... I was like looking at him like he was crazy.

“I don’t think I can afford your gear, man”

But yes, all the funny posts aside... it was really cool to experience what happens when you literally have no budget. Now I know how good it can get (audio tastes aside). Carlton and I discussed this.

Yes, it can get very good.

It was enlightening to say the least and very educational. I learned a lot about the room... which I was more interested in than the gear.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    Btw for those interested, how he situated the gear is impressive.

Secret door to the left of the amplifier.

b2io3huxqb5c.jpeg
    v2kwha5ojvt6.jpeg
    dhyuin4p98ce.jpeg
    71ui7xvr9589.jpeg

bk7fbttn4jgi.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    All doors closed.
    kxgiip8p77cy.jpeg
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    What a fantastic rig and that's seriously a great idea about the room behind the gear. That has to make cabling and electronics changes a snap.
  • Joey_V
    What a fantastic rig and that's seriously a great idea about the room behind the gear. That has to make cabling and electronics changes a snap.

Yes but adds several feet to the cords which if you’re looking at ultra high end, adds up $ real quick.

I’m cheap so I get 3 foot cords of my AQ Wel.

This guy just coils 9 foot long Tara Omegas. That extra 6 feet really really hurts.

Not to mention double the length of your interconnects to the amp or elongate your speaker wire.

The more you think about it, the more you realize guys like him are on another plane entirely.

Truly humbling.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2018
    Joey_V wrote: »
    The man with the boulder remote is the owner.

The crew we have is a good crew, Carlton got to meet most of them but not all.

Er/trauma doctor
    Family doctor
    Cardiologist doctor
    CIO of an oil company
    President of a finance company
    Sales director of oracle
    GM of a car dealership

Brian the owner is an ophthalmology doctor and his wife is obgyne doctor.

But I suspect he won the lottery or something similar.

Yeah, I was adding up the system and room costs and it's probably more than my net worth, LOL! No, surprises that folks with $$$ hang around others with the same expen$ive hobbies. It looks like the room was well thought out. Further more, I'm not even in the six figure club but IMO, it makes no sense to have a speaker and a rig that expensive and not have a well thought out dedicated space. I love the hidden front end.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2018
    Super sweet. I can only imagine, but just to get an ear on that much quality in one system has to be a coming to Jesus moment.

I might opine, I hope he has bumped up his homeowners insurance, being in the basement means one busted water pipe could take out the whole thing. Given the weight of it all, he really had no choice though.

Joey, you should bring the Cary over to his house and see how it stacks up against the Boulder pre....using the same associated gear he has. I'd be willing to bet, there may be some pro's and cons to the comparison, but not enough to warrant the price difference.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    I too like the room idea. I was contemplating the very same thing hidden door in the wall to my wife’s coat closet. I can pitch it as hiding unsightly gear for better aesthetics. Is a win-win.

or maybe i’ll just hang up on he idea for now.

Going to see Billy Joel tonight, should clear my head.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Wow, what an incredible visit. The only thing missing from his setup is some of Jesse's cable lifters!
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Super sweet. I can only imagine, but just to get an ear on that much quality in one system has to be a coming to Jesus moment.

I might opine, I hope he has bumped up his homeowners insurance, being in the basement means one busted water pipe could take out the whole thing. Given the weight of it all, he really had no choice though.

Joey, you should bring the Cary over to his house and see how it stacks up against the Boulder pre....using the same associated gear he has. I'd be willing to bet, there may be some pro's and cons to the comparison, but not enough to warrant the price difference.

Tony my man,

Carlton @Legender will confirm me, but this was no basement.

Brian lives in the most expensive gated neighborhood in the entire Dallas Fort Worth metroplex short of the super large homes of George Bush and Ross Perot near downtown.

This was a new wing of the house that he built, built on the 2nd floor with steel reinforced floors, a room encased within a room, with its own ventilation system and power system isolated from the rest of the house.

I believe he bought the lot next to his house to build the addition. I believe the addition which includes this stereo room is approximately 5,000 sq feet, and built a tennis court and a basketball court and a swimming pool.

Yes, he built a 5,000 sq foot addition to
    Hold the stereo room.

If you look closely he has sprinklers installed in the ceiling clouds above the boulder and above the listener.

The whole house has 4 lightning rods. I am sure he is insured by Chubb or similar companies that insure the high end.

The room is amazing. There is no vibration on the floor even with all that bass

But yes, his house is amazing. I believe Carlton looked it up, it was upwards of 17,000 sq feet not including outdoor patio and garage and storage space.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Is this a click bait thread or it's just my computer acting up? I am here for Audio Pron but I don't see a single pic.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Joey_V
    I see like 10 pics
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited April 2018
    Argh! Shame on me for still using XP with old Firefox. It sux! I can now see all the audio **** when viewed from Win 10 PC.

Nicely setup system. What's with a bunch of weirdos stirring at the Alien looking speakers from the front middle row? >:):p

I betcha it probably stimulates the audio sensory into the 4th dimension!
    Post edited by megasat16 on
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited April 2018
    I concur, no basement here. It was on the 2nd level above the kids play room with a concrete floor installed to reduce vibration. Even the glass panels hiding the equipment/racks is specially designed with 2 layers and anti vibration material between them. Brian spent a year designing it and working out the details.

Even had outlets placed in two different locations just in case he wanted to move his racks from behind the wall. You can see the power distribution box on the wall in the access room. The transformer that feeds his house, he's pretty sure, only feeds his house. It was indeed an awesome experience.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    No doubt, an impressive room and gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    I didn’t know that. The transformer that feeds his house is only for his house? I missed that info cuz I was late

Wow
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Just showed my daughter the pics. She said WOW and then asks "Dad, you think he'd pay off my last student loan" :D

Told her that's not gonna happen...
  • Joey_V
    Funny story.

We were 8 at dinner, fancy restaurant. The check comes.

Brian points to me and says Joey will take care of the check.

Jerk.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Thanks for the Info and pictures Joey. I like the hidden room with all the gear in it behind glass because with that setup cable management seems impossible.

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2018
    Hold the stereo room. But yes, his house is amazing. I believe Carlton looked it up, it was upwards of 17,000 sq feet not including outdoor patio and garage and storage space.
    This is where I say a curse word!! Man, this build just makes me think of the guy that converter a barn that was next to his house into a listening space. Both of these are builds at the highest level. Anything better than this is a full stage with live musicians!

ALL OF THIS:
    yes

INSIDE OF HERE:
    yes
    https://positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm
    https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/04/the-audio-system-and-high-end.html

Funny story.
    Jerk.
    I'm sure he spent the last dime of his going out and play money on the stereo. Maybe he has not recovered yet? LOL!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2018
    I had bought 3 acres to build a home with dedicated audio room outside the main house (He-man audio cave), but the wife decided she didn't want to move. :'( Here are some drafts. Design was to try to eliminate nodes and slap before adding any treatments.

q3isy5j23fin.jpg
    49w4whjrq2kn.jpg
    dzke87yxwydy.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    WLDock wrote: »
    Hold the stereo room. But yes, his house is amazing. I believe Carlton looked it up, it was upwards of 17,000 sq feet not including outdoor patio and garage and storage space.
    This is where I say a curse word!! Man, this build just makes me think of the guy that converter a barn that was next to his house into a listening space. Both of these are builds at the highest level. Anything better than this is a full stage with live musicians!

ALL OF THIS:
    yes

INSIDE OF HERE:
    yes
    https://positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm
    https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/04/the-audio-system-and-high-end.html

Funny story.
    Jerk.
    I'm sure he spent the last dime of his going out and play money on the stereo. Maybe he has not recovered yet? LOL!

Believe me, he’s recovered and then some. He was fully powered for anything.

Really it was like meeting Bruce Wayne.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Great pics and epic system, thanks for sharing Joey.
  • Joey_V
    @WLDock

Mike Lavigne’s room is a special one indeed.

I have dreams of having a room like that when I grow up.