IFI Purifier 2

I received my IFI Purifier 2 yesterday and wanted to share my initial findings with you all.

1cdozul9oedo.jpg

First it is packaged very well and its construction is solid with its all aluminum housing.

zfmanlf2sh3h.jpg

8bzev7dac8m4.jpg

I inserted the Purifier 2 in between my Marantz SA8005's USB port and my Starlight 7 USB cable which is connected to my Quantum Byte solid state music server.

fpf7eaw5qvmr.jpg

During listening the first thing I noticed on my system is more articulate bass with better extension. Drums have better transient or faster response with more power but without seeming unatural. There seems to be more definition in high frequencies with vocals being very natural and detailed all without any harshness. Sound stage depth and imaging is better with some music moving forward from the speakers closer to my listening position. The acoustic guitar in Pink Floyd's, The Wall, Goodbye Blue Sky really moved forward and felt like it was in the room with me.

Overall a very pleasant listening session that I hope to reproduce tonight.

I am pretty sure it's a keeper.

Bob

Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Equinox 7>> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
1KVA Dreadnought
Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,763
    Great to hear first hand experience Bob. I had the original and it did generate improvements. I've had positive experiences with all of their products so far.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,170
    I have been interested in trying one out. So its like the jitterbug but supposedly better yes?
    How long did you let it burn in?.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,763
    The jitterbug is designed after the original ipurifier. IFi has been in this game for a long time, audio quest just has better marketing.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • machonemachone Posts: 988
    It's burning in as I use it. It was brand new when I wrote the first post.
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Equinox 7>> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,170
    edited July 2016
    Thanks both. So it might even im9IRBCUore after a good 200 hours are on it.

I think getting the digital side better in my rig is going to be my next step and I might need to give this a try.

Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

I wanted to update this thread with my latest experience with the IFI Purifier2.

A year ago I decided to keep things as simple as possible when I installed the four 20 amp dedicated power circuits so I removed the IFI. I never reinstalled it until just now.

During the last year I have upgraded the Hafler 500 with new driver boards and power cord, upgraded power cords to the Mojo power supply and Marantz SA8500, added many acoustic panels and last but not least I introduced the Modwright preamp with an upgraded power cord.

Now that the power cords have settled in I decided to add the IFI back into the mix. It is installed in the same place as before between the USB cable and the Marantz (used as the DAC).

This time the results are very noticeable with tighter bass, really spectacular imaging and everything forward. After listening for several nights with and without it in the system I find that I love the imaging and tone but it is a little too forward and the bass can be a little thin with some recordings. An example of this is JB "Blow by Blow".

I thought about it for a little and decided to move the speakers back an inch towards the wall. They have been at 7" for a long time and the last time I moved them to 6" I did not like the results. But I don't have the same system as a year ago so I gave it a try.

Wow! The bass is plentiful but tight with the image moved back and the soundstage is w-i-d-e. I played many songs last night and was grinning from ear to ear.

If you are on the fence with this one give it a try. At $120 list it may be worth the risk. It sure is working in my system.

I love this hobby!!!
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,425
    edited April 6
    @machone wich one do you have, they have a few pruducts with similar if not the same name?

Thanks
    Disregard ssw the pic
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• verbverb Posts: 2,947
    Thanks @machone for the write up. Just ordered one!
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    I hope it works for you!
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005

@verb Yeah, let us know.
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

edited April 9
    So today I received the iFi Purifier2 from Amazon via next shipping. Nice little package, even comes with a USB a-b adapter! Plugged it right away, played one of my favorite reference songs from Rush:

bn8cme1escdu.png

Running iTunes lossless format from a recent remastered release. Nearfield setup in my office. Same volume settings, native sampling rate, just as before without the iFi.

Right out of the box, I immediately noticed a difference. Bass was noticeably extended, tighter. Drums were crisper. Highs were further extended as well. I was hearing more cymbals than without the iFi! I'm not an audiophile, but dare I say soundstage extended as well?

For my nearfield setup, even at moderate listening levels, this nifty little device will bring more out of your source material for sure!

I'm looking forward to more experimentation with the baby!

Thanks @machone and @dskip for the recommendation! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,490
    OMGWTFBBQ?! Now I need one of these babies!
    Got Dayens?
    I really like it! I spend most of my evenings (unfortunately) on the computer. WAF dictates moderate listening levels, so this little stick just brings out more.

More reference material:
    ugvj1fypa2mi.png
    Oh what? We needs ta TALK. You put her on right now, PUT HER ON THE PHONE THIS INSTANT.
    verb wrote: »
    WAF dictates moderate listening levels, so this little stick just brings out more.

Got Dayens?
    No thanks! I want to keep her! :smiley:
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,742
    I'm buying one now!
    I just ordered one. Kindof funny that the $90 DAC I'll be using it with costs less than it did ($120).
    Got Dayens?
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,923
    Now you guys have me thinking I need one of these for my computer based headphone rig. Hmmm....
    That was fast.

l030s5lnb5qs.jpg
    Got Dayens?
    Hook it up!

Hello Kitty boombox

Gotta tame the beast before you let it out of it's cage!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Hook it up!

Got Dayens?
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,794
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That was fast.

l030s5lnb5qs.jpg

Your clock radio has the wrong time on it.
    Are you sure about that? When I'm at my computer it's always "44.1 o'clock".
    lightman1 wrote: »

Got Dayens?
    Are you sure about that? When I'm at my computer it's always "44.1 o'clock".
    lightman1 wrote: »

Dude, it's quarter after 44

Hello Kitty boombox

If only I could make the screen say 420 and post a pic of it for Jesse.

Got Dayens?
    If only I could make the screen say 420 and post a pic of it for Jesse.

ojlg6ecl7oxs.png
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,923
    Well, I'm still on the fence. Somebody going to give me a push?
    I should have a chance to try it out this weekend before or after I'm bending over for taxes.
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Well, I'm still on the fence. Somebody going to give me a push?

Got Dayens?
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,262
    edited April 15
    Have you guys read up on the iFi "Grand Slam" combo of the iFi Gemini cable and iFi iUSB power?

I find myself back here this AM after stumbling across, in other reading, a little device called a/the USB Disruptor, which is designed to separate the power from the USB, provide new power, and deactivate the conducting hardware of the USB cable.
    https://usbdisruptor.com/usb-disruptor-works/
    Got me thinking about whether iFi addresses this, and, of course, they have.

iFi has their version of this approach (while apparently offering additional tech) in their recommendation of the iPurifier2, Gemini cable, and iUSB. Looks like they're even offering power adapter/wall-warts.

Anyone considered this route? Seems to make a lot of sense for the best potential in USB DAC audio. The iPurifier2 alone seems to be stopping short of potential gains of separating power and removing unnecessarily conductive paths from the source to the DAC.

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-gemini/
    https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/
    https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

f6acwjiqdjow.png
    Post edited by msg on
    I have but that cable is damn spensive!

Hello Kitty boombox