Friend wants a Bose wave radio

Options
After I was done slapping him he said it's for his old parents. What can he get them that sounds decent that he can load with music for them?

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    He should give them what they want so that they will be happy, not what anyone including him else thinks is better.

It's not about him, it's about them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The Wave was his idea I don't think his folks even asked for anything. He just asked what I thought about the Bose so I beat him senseless just to make a point. :#
  • afterburnt
    Options
    WITH? They want five bills for those things!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Not sure about "loading with music", but maybe something like this would fit the bill? Looks like it's on sale currently.

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/peachtree-audio-deepblue2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    The price is the only issue I have with them.
    They work fine and sound fine for general purpose use.

IF (?!?) your friend has any interest at all in alternatives, the Tivoli radios are very nice, as are some of the Sangean products.

We have a Sangean radio in the kitchen; I have zero complaints about it. It is very much fit for purpose. Not stereo, though.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    If they already don't have a way to play music and they didn't ask for a way to play music they're probably not interested in music.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    I just put my old one (puts on flameproof suit) in my parents house and the love it. It was just sitting in the closet and her under counter AM/FM radio broke.
    Simple controls and allows mom to play her CDs. At that age, quality of the music is not as important as the loudness factor. This plays loud with no problems.
    Might be able to find them used on CL.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Bose wave radio... waste of money. I have a older Sony boom box that sounds way better and I only paid $39 for it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Not sure about "loading with music", but maybe something like this would fit the bill? Looks like it's on sale currently.

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/peachtree-audio-deepblue2

This looks cool, bet it sounds way better than the wave anchor thing.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @Clipdat he is thinking about SD cards to keep it simple

@Nightfall they like music, they play it on the TV. Whatado you think the dude just came up with the idea out of thin air? Folks 90 something he is 60 something, he might know something about em by now.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @mhardy6647 loud enough for the living room?

@Legender I will mention CL, right before I hit him again.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I think they should go big or go home...
    ehyi042kzcqa.jpeg
    Believe it or not, that is a tweeter. :lol:
    All joking aside, I have a Logitech mm50 which sounds decent, and is portable. They could get it used for nothing and if they have an iPod Shuffle with music on it (unlikely, but possible) they could charge their iPod with it. It has a built in battery, which from my experience lasts several hours, and it can be connected via 3.5 millimeter headphone jack.
    9lnelxabayay.jpg
    Here is a pic of the front, it uses dual passive radiators.
    My bed is not made because I accidentally dropped a pen on my sheets and it left a blue mark, and I tried to wash it. Didn’t work out for my sheets :cry::lol:
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    If they listen to music through their TV, the easiest option is to get them something like a magnifi mini and use the digital out from the TV to the mini. I just saw them on sale for $229, and everyone says they sound really good for what they are (I personally have not heard one).
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I love my deepblue2, it what I travel with for music
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,258
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    He should give them what they want so that they will be happy, not what anyone including him else thinks is better.

I don't know how elderly your friend's parents are but the "give them what they want" philosophy doesn't work on either the far left or far right of the following picture.

jcvh7pmlazhb.jpg

On the far left, the baby may think it wants to eat Tide Pods. But the more informed people, ie, parents KNOW better.

On the far right, the elderly person may think that they just want something that the Kmart associate recommended. A son with more experience in audio and with what the elderly parents will REALLY be happy with (keeping in mind any physical or mental restrictions) KNOWS better.

And the son is going to personally pay for it.
    It's not about him, it's about them.

Well ....no ****.

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Years and years ago, we bought Mrs. H's mom (who was older but still very vital at that point) her first VCR. We found a Hitachi that looked very easy to use; just a few buttons on the front to control the transport. What we didn't realize until we set it up for her -- probably 80% of the functions of the VCR lived on the remote control, which had about 156 buttons on it :|

I don't think she ever used it very much. We inherited it when she passed away in the mid 1990s and used it until it stopped working.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Still have a Bose Ac. 10 sitting in the crawl space for like 15 years now. Be willing to trade for anything if someone wants it. Stale box of cracker jack maybe ? At least the prize in the box is amusing for a little while. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable