Just scored some srs 3.1TL’s

Hello folks, I’m new here and tonight I scored some 3.1TL’s for 150 bucks! The list is long for what I need on restoration. I’ll need 2 6511 drivers and 2 tweeters and possibly 2 of the other mids and also the interconnect cord. Any leads on these items would be appreciated and possible prices would be awesome. Are these going to be worth the expense and effort to restore? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I see RDOs in your future. And you're going to get Neutrik as a suggestion for an upgraded IC cable. I'm very jelous as those are on my wish list, and to get them for $150, that's a steal and a half!

BTW, if you order any new drivers, go through Polk directly and be sure to mention that you are a Club Polk member for a discount.
  • Thanks man! I will.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Congrats and welcome, also one of the Polks high on my list to try, great price!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Is it hard to build an interconnect cable? And also what are some popular common ground amplifiers?
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    >>Is it hard to build an interconnect cable?

No. Just go to Parts Express and order a set of Neutrik Speakon connectors.

Use the NL4MP (092-052) ($2.25) cabinet-mount AIRTIGHT versions for the cabinets x2 of course and the NL4FX (092-190) ($4.19) for the cable terminals again x2 for each end of the cable. For cable, sky's the limit but at a minimum consider Belden 5100UP 10awg.

Key points, cables matter, better the cable, happier you'll be. The Speakon's come in a 2 terminal version (NL2MP & mating NL2FX) but I think many feel the 4 connector is more robust (I do) and allow you to use larger four-conductor cable to increase the effective awg if desired.

You'll need some screws, nuts and washers to mount the cabinet connectors and blade terminals for the inner terminals unless you like to solder (I do). Neutrik SCDP0 gaskets finish the exterior look of the ML4MP's. Finish up with some hot glue on the inside of the terminal cups to make sure you get a nice air-tight seal on your work. At work but can post pics latter or spend some time searching the forum, I learned everything from here!

>>Common ground amps?

Consider Parasound (Halo A-21), Adcom (GFA-555), Carver (M4.0T or TFM-55) I've had all of these on the 3.1's at one time or another, all sounded fantastic, some better than other but only your ear can make a decision.

I have two sets of 3.1's. Rebuilt both. Cabinets sealed, new crossovers, RDO-198 replacement tweeters, Blackhole 5, Larry's Rings, Dynamat Extreme on the drivers and passive radiator, Cardas binding post and of course the Speakon IC setup. One set is in my card room so not so much of the SDA experience but the set in my son's Xbox/game room (he's 13) makes all his little friends think something magic's going on even if I don't approve of his musical taste................

Robby
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Thanks Robby! I just want to learn as much as I can about these beauties before I get down to the refurb. Get paid in a few days and I’ll have my drivers on the way, I take it the RDO tweeters are the way to go?
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    I think so.

For the ~$100 investment I made in new RDO-198 tweeters when I first rebuilt my 2B's into 2BTL's, the difference slapped me in the face. Of course that was a major change over the original SL2000 tweeters moving to a "TL" circuit and came along with a total crossover rebuild so they were only a small contributing factor. I had been listening to those since purchased new in 1987 as a graduation present to myself and was just amazed at how much better they sounded.

When I started rebuilding my first 3.1set, I swapped out only the SL3000 tweeters first for the new RDO-198's and was impressed with myself that I actually COULD tell the difference being my birthday odometer had rotated past 50 at the time. Another $100 very well spent! Over the past few years, I've now changed out all my original tweeters for the new RDO-198 versions, 22 of them in total.

If you decide to do a crossover refresh in your 3.1, and believe me, that's another must do upgrade, be careful as 3.1's actually had two different versions based on which SDA inductor was used. Post your progress and I'm sure we can keep you on the right path.

Robby
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Ok, I have an opportunity to pick up a clean carver integrated amp CM-1090 for cheap, is this amp compatible with the 3.1’s? Still waiting for payday to make the call to Polk for some drivers.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Ok, I have an opportunity to pick up a clean carver integrated amp CM-1090 for cheap, is this amp compatible with the 3.1’s? Still waiting for payday to make the call to Polk for some drivers.

I ran Carver M1.0t's and TFM35x's on my 2B's for some time, and eventually on my 1C's. They're pretty good, some folks love em, some not. When I upgraded to the CJ MF2300A, my speakers really came alive! Lot's of power, and current when you feel like crankin em.

But that's what this hobby is all about, upgrades! If the price is that good, snag it, but don't rest there. Plenty of better amps out there! Lot's of good recommendations from very experienced and knowledgeable Polkies here!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.