TV Show writers must think we are a bunch of idiots...

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
edited April 2018 in The Clubhouse
Gone are the days of Dick Van Dy ke and Perry Mason...

So I had a few hours to kill yesterday and thought I would watch a few episodes of 9-1-1, a new drama on Fox....

Fast forward to episode 5... The captain of this LAFD fire house is a transplant from St. Paul Minnesota and moved to L.A. 5 years prior to the start of the show. I am thinking already, there is no way this guy would be 5 years in with LAFD and be in charge of a department already...

Then later, he confesses to a priest that he murdered his wife and kids back in Minnesota. The story was that his drug and alcohol addiction led to him accidentally setting fire to the apartment building he lived in that was not up to fire code to begin with, resulting in the deaths of 148 people...

Sorry man but that dog don't hunt. The guy would have been in prison for the remainder of his natural life and thensome. There is literally no way in hell around that one, much less being in charge of a firehouse with the Los Angeles Fire Department. He would not be allowed within 500 yards of a garden hose with that department. I gave up after that

The writers of TV shows these days are dumber than a box of rocks.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Is that why it's a TV show and not reality? It's satire.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Wow Vanilla, way to edit a surname: Dick Van D.Y.K.E... blows my mind at how ridiculous this program's nanny is.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    911 is one of those shows I didn’t even have to watch to know it’s bad...you’re gonna be hard pressed to find good writing on network TV
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    911 is one of those shows I didn’t even have to watch to know it’s bad...you’re gonna be hard pressed to find good writing on network TV

I watched it because of Angela Bassett... I have been on love with her for 25 years. If I had a fantasy wife, she is it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Just watch it on mute! lol
    I watched it because of Angela Bassett... I have been on love with her for 25 years. If I had a fantasy wife, she is it.

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    You thought Dick Van **** and Perry Mason was real ?
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Is that why it's a TV show and not reality? It's satire.

Sadly, it's not satire, and the terrible writing and leaps in reality they expect you to make simply makes it unwatchable.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I stopped watching the network dramas years ago when every show became centered around forensic criminology...
  • Clipdat
    I don't know about you guys but if I owned a Krell CD player I don't think I'd ever watch TV.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Sadly, it's not satire, and the terrible writing and leaps in reality they expect you to make simply makes it unwatchable.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    My man it's a show A mindless TV show. Just sit back and enjoy or switch the channel. I actually hard drive many so i can skip the commercials those are just as effing bad. I can sit and do the same thing with most movies but i just watch and enjoy what i can.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    There's a local broadcast channel here the plays a lot of the oldies. MeTV. Love it except for all the commercials for geriatric products! :smile:
    https://www.metv.com/
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    John, have you seen Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, or Vikings? Those are all well done shows.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    There are some good shows on Netflix and PBS and a few on network as well. They are few and far between, probably because there are so many networks and not enough talent to go around, both in front of and behind the cameras.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    LOL! How many cases of Geritol does one need? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited April 2018
    MEtv, Comet, GRIT, antenna, Laff, Decades, Cozy-TV, This TV, and Charge! are all channels that I pick up OTA for older or obscure shows.

Edit for duplicate
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    We're watching Luther at the moment, great show
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    With the advent of CGI, most tv shows and movies have sacrificed great acting and character development for increasingly unrealistic visuals to bombard the senses.

For great characters, the aforementioned Game Of Thrones and Vikings (Both of which have some nifty CGI, but the story doesn't rest on it). Also try House Of Cards, Ozark, True Deceive, Night Of, Justified, Sons Of Anarchy, or The Shield.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    verb wrote: »
    LOL! How many cases of Geritol does one need? :smile:

Not to mention after 50 those iron products can do more harm than help in men.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Network shows have a target demographic, and unfortunately "dumb as a box of rocks" is a huge one.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Just watch it on mute! lol

That didn't go well with Billy Squire and the Jagger/Bowie video did it. :s:/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, I suppose the older demographic yearns for the brilliant yet subtle programs of yore; classic fare such as My Mother the Car.

ahem.

40na312fx082.png
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Nightfall wrote: »
    John, have you seen Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, or Vikings? Those are all well done shows.

Yes, there are so, so many great shows on right now I have to pick and choose as I don't have than much time to watch tv. And I agree that most of the great shows are on cable, netflix, amazon prime, etc., not network. The Americans, Sneaky Pete (amazon) The Punisher (netflix), the list just goes on and on...

The main network exceptions for me are comedies. We really like Modern Family, Blackish, Big Bang Theory, Life in Pieces, among others.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Silicon Valley (funny stuff), Suits (courtroom drama but good buddy show), This is Us (tear jerk but very well written), Westworld (fun mayhem with guns), The Crown (QE II), Mr. Robot (odd but well written and acted), Legion (schizo superhero).

And if you want to go back a bit, The Wire and The West Wing are two of the best written shows ever, imo, ranking alongside Breaking Bad.
  • mhardy6647
    perhaps the best 4-1/2 minutes in the history of scripted television.

https://youtu.be/TJny78bpsgo

YMMV, of course :|
  • mhardy6647
    and then, of course, there was this:

https://youtu.be/0K-f3IqR-i8