SDA2b's

Comments

• cascius
    cascius Posts: 175
    The carver has been running the SDAs for a few years now with no issues. Well, actually the only "issue" is I suspect I should upgrade the caps on the amp to make it sound better... Unfortunately, I haven't found much information about doing a cap upgrade for that amp.

Regarding the upgrades on the speakers. Looking through my emails I found this info:
    From Sonic Craft Website:
    • 2x Gen I Sonicap 5.8
    • uF 200VDC, $26
    • 2x Gen I Sonicap 12 uF 200VDC, $40
    • 4x Gen I Sonicap 20 uF 200VDC, $113
    • 2x 0.5 Ohm Mills MRA-12, $9
    • 4x 2.7 Ohm Mills MRA-12, $17

From Parts-Express Website:
    • 2x ERSE Super Q 5.6mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor Crossover Coil, $50
    • 4x Dayton Audio DMPC-90 90uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor, $98
    • 2x Dayton Audio DMPC-75 75uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor, $45
    Total: $400 + T&S

I also spiked the speakers, added T-Nuts, fixed the cabinets, added blackhole5 (or whatever it's called...), refinished the cabinets, changed the 5-way binding posts, made a speak-on SDA interconnect, custom cables. I'm probably forgetting a few things...

So yeah, I got the speakers for $250 I think, and spent roughly $600 on them. :)

Main System:
    Front: SDA 2ATLs
    Center: CS2
    Surround: M40s
    Sub: PSW505
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
    Amp: Carver AV 705x
    TV: Samsung LN52A650
    Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
    Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    But no regrets? Still trying to negotiate long distance on these SDA’s. Don’t know for sure if it will happen yet.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    No matter what version you land with, upgrade! It'll be worth the time and expense! You won't believe your ears! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • cascius
    cascius Posts: 175
    ThomasD wrote: »
    But no regrets? Still trying to negotiate long distance on these SDA’s. Don’t know for sure if it will happen yet.

Yes, definitely worth it. Especially if you like tinkering with things. I spend my life in front of a computer, so working on a project that is more manual makes me very happy. Finally, there's something rewarding about making/fixing something yourself. :)

By the way, I lied, I just looked and I actually got the 2As for $100. That was definitely a steal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Olivier
    Main System:
    Front: SDA 2ATLs
    Center: CS2
    Surround: M40s
    Sub: PSW505
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
    Amp: Carver AV 705x
    TV: Samsung LN52A650
    Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
    Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    2Bs can be had a good prices depending on location. I got mine in Phoenix for $100, currently waiting on my crossovers from @westmassguy to be completed. Seems like ages since I have listened to them, so much so I don't think I will remember what they sounded like HA!

Best of luck, you might just stumble upon a deal so good the wife doesn't even need to know until it is too late. >:)
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • ThomasD
    2Bs can be had a good prices depending on location. I got mine in Phoenix for $100, currently waiting on my crossovers from @westmassguy to be completed. Seems like ages since I have listened to them, so much so I don't think I will remember what they sounded like HA!

Best of luck, you might just stumble upon a deal so good the wife doesn't even need to know until it is too late. >:)

I was looking at Phoenix CL and did find a couple of SDA's. I lived in Sedona for a few years and have some good friends in the state that would be happy to pick them up for me. I just don't have plans in the near future to drive down there. I made a half dozen driving trips when I was moving to/from there, it's just so much quicker to fly. Yes, David should be getting my 7 crossovers shortly in the mail also. I'm looking at a small tube amp/w phono (Cayin A50-T MK11) right now to replace my Rega Brio. I know it won't carry any SDA's but I'd sure like to know how 7's sound with tubes.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • ThomasD
    65rjrkg8n5je.jpg
    Going to look at this pair of advertised SDA's this week even though they're 400 miles away. The guy first said they were 2A's now he's saying he thinks they're 2B's. Before I see them I need to know how to tell the difference without opening up the XO's if possible. Please Enlighten me O' Wise Ones
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    SDA2b one 6503 stereo woofer one 6511 dimensional woofer 6 ohm

SDA2a both woofers 6510 4 ohm and drop to much lower.....
  • ThomasD
    Are the mw's identifiable from the front?
  • ThomasD
    Were the IC cable connections the same in both versions, blade/blade or blade/pin???
  • ThomasD
    The Schematics show what looks like a blade/blade for the A's & a blade/pin for the B's. Am I seeing this right
  • codycatalist
    65rjrkg8n5je.jpg
    Going to look at this pair of advertised SDA's this week even though they're 400 miles away. The guy first said they were 2A's now he's saying he thinks they're 2B's. Before I see them I need to know how to tell the difference without opening up the XO's if possible. Please Enlighten me O' Wise Ones

Im a Phoenix native, the SDAs here come and go. Everyonce in a while you will find a deal but you have to be quick. I got my SDA2Bs MINT for $100 from a guy in Fountain Hills. If you ever need someone to go check a deal out for you just PM me!

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • ThomasD

Im a Phoenix native, the SDAs here come and go. Everyonce in a while you will find a deal but you have to be quick. I got my SDA2Bs MINT for $100 from a guy in Fountain Hills. If you ever need someone to go check a deal out for you just PM me![/quote]

@codycatalist That's a generous offer to make. If your really serious, I might take you up on it. I check the Phoenix CL every now & then because I use to live in Sedona & Prescott for a few years. It's possible to do and find just about anything in the Phoenix area, that's a fact.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    The Schematics show what looks like a blade/blade for the A's & a blade/pin for the B's. Am I seeing this right
    Not necessarily,I had some 2b’s that were blade/blade. I’ve seen the 2b’s with both connections.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • codycatalist

Im a Phoenix native, the SDAs here come and go. Everyonce in a while you will find a deal but you have to be quick. I got my SDA2Bs MINT for $100 from a guy in Fountain Hills. If you ever need someone to go check a deal out for you just PM me!

@codycatalist That's a generous offer to make. If your really serious, I might take you up on it. I check the Phoenix CL every now & then because I use to live in Sedona & Prescott for a few years. It's possible to do and find just about anything in the Phoenix area, that's a fact. [/quote]

Dead serious my dude. I have no problem checking out something for you if my schedule permits. Just keep me in mind. = ]

• ThomasD
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Not necessarily,I had some 2b’s that were blade/blade. I’ve seen the 2b’s with both connections.

Wonderful. Guess it doesn't really matter, just wanted to go in with some 'authority' to see about lowering the price. Thanks to all
  • ThomasD
    @codycatalist Can I PM you?
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    I'm nearly positive that there were no pin/blade SDA-2As.

Summary: Pin/blade = 2Bs; blade/blade = likely 2As, but possibly 2Bs.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited April 2018
    Were the IC cable connections the same in both versions, blade/blade or blade/pin???

No but Polk is well known to use left over parts before moving on to the new version. Best to pull a woofer 100% known at that point.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Chances that those are 2A's is high because most 2B Studio versions are black.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    :s<3
    F1nut wrote: »

Didn’t want to put my foot in my mouth again but I thought I’d read that on one of the SDA threads and I think you said the same thing there.
  • codycatalist
    @codycatalist Can I PM you?

Anytime!

• ThomasD
    F1nut wrote: »

I'm curious now. Looking on @gimpod website and it seems to say that only the 2A's were offered with cloth side panels but both A's & B's were offered w/o side cloth panel options & the black studio version was only offered in the B series. Is this correct?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited April 2018
    Not correct. The 2A never came with end caps and cloth sides. The 2B came in two versions, with end caps and cloth sides or the Studio version without end caps and cloth sides. Most 2B Studio versions were black vinyl, but it seems there was a wood tone vinyl version too.

It is true that the 2A never came in black.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    The 2b's were the cloth side panels and real wood tops or the studio version with black vinyl.It is possible the ones you are looking at are 2b studios.Ask the seller to pull a mid woofer for confirmation.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    65rjrkg8n5je.jpg

Those are the 2A's. If the drivers are good, new tweets and crossover will make them sound great!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ThomasD
    My mistake @F1nut , I misread @gimpod description. Yes, @dkfreebird I understand now that those are either wood grained 2B studios or a 2A. I'm wondering if the owner is on this site. When I originally asked if they were B's he immediately said they were A's. But now he has them listed on CL as B's. I'm still trying to break away and check them out my self.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited April 2018
    audioluvr wrote: »
    65rjrkg8n5je.jpg

Those are the 2A's. If the drivers are good, new tweets and crossover will make them sound great!

How can you tell if they are 2A's or 2B's by the front? I honestly don't know....reason I ask is my 2B's look exactly like those. On the back, there is a "B" sticker in the top right of the large label.
  • ThomasD
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    SDA2b one 6503 stereo woofer one 6511 dimensional woofer 6 ohm

SDA2a both woofers 6510 4 ohm and drop to much lower.....

This seems to be the difference and you have pull the driver or XO to definitively determine what you have.