Nostalgia: Things You Had Growing Up

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Tony M wrote: »
    I started collecting Mercury head dimes when I was 10 yers old I think. Then I progressed to have a Very Nice Coin collection but cashed it in to help put a down payment on my house. My specialty became Indian Head Cents. I still have quite a few coin collection remnants that are cool. I have always wanted to start back up but, RECCESSIONS have told me it would be better to have Cash at Cash value on hand if the time came. ;)

When my Mother said look what I got from the grocery store, Tony, some old dimes. Check em out. Can I have them? Sure you can, what, you want to start collecting old coins? YEA, these are cool! Thanks, Mom!
    gqhnczr192go.png
    7cs5qds4qj6v.png
    y2mwa0igyglc.png

Smart kid right here. Good for you Tony!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    Nightfall wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    llcs8t8bpk4a.jpg
    ky4wojb7r1wy.jpg

Wrist Rockets and Taconite Pellets. Good times.

You didn't ever kill a mama song bird by accident there by having to raise the baby birds on your own did you?

https://youtu.be/2BDSaWKJQTY
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Before graduating to Hot Wheels
    s5bvb3f82pc8.jpeg

I've still got a boat load of those around here somewhere.

I had every one of the ones in that photo (probably still have most, although our kids played with 'em as well, so they're kind of beat up).

I fell for the Ferrari 250GT Berlinetta Lusso -- hard -- as a kid due to that Matchbox. I still think it's probably the most beautiful automobile ever built.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I think the only toys from our youth that's still on the shelves are our classic board games, Gi Joe and Barbie, frisbee, Battleship, Hot Wheels and matchbox-( I think), and some others. Slot car and train sets are still being produced too.

Do they still make cap guns for kids?

Didn't Gas monkey garage make a car to help celebrate the 100 millionth hot wheels car production milestone?

Propbably true. That's why all of us middle aged men seek out NIB or otherwise good condition toys of our youth, and pay big bucks for em. I'm no exception. Lot's of fun finding those significant toys, snagging em, and proudly displaying on the shelf in our man cave! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    Hermitism wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Now these were pretty cool
    p50inpetsa6x.jpg

Those are a great teachable moment to illustrate the noncompressibility of water, which is a fundamental property of water due to the extensive network of hydrogen
    bonding
    between water molecules. Water molecules are extremely polar, which is also why it's arguably the single most powerful solvent extant (with the exception, of course, of mother's saliva ;) ). The hydrogen bonding is also responsible for the remarkable property that water has of being less dense as a solid than as a liquid. This is why ice floats, and bodies of water don't freeze from the bottom up.

If bodies of water didn't freeze from the top, life as we know it likely never could have developed.

Water is amazing stuff.

Y'all knew all of that already, though, of course.
    You realize you just completely sucked the fun out of that toy! :)

my work is done here.

;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited April 2018
    I fell for the Ferrari 250GT Berlinetta Lusso -- hard -- as a kid due to that Matchbox. I still think it's probably the most beautiful automobile ever built.

7a2q6bk5h3jc.jpg

You mean this one? CMC makes a stunning example of this car. It is worth getting as it is as close to the real one as mere mortals are allowed to get.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Now these were pretty cool
    p50inpetsa6x.jpg

Those are a great teachable moment to illustrate the noncompressibility of water, which is a fundamental property of water due to the extensive network of hydrogen
    bonding
    between water molecules. Water molecules are extremely polar, which is also why it's arguably the single most powerful solvent extant (with the exception, of course, of mother's saliva ;) ). The hydrogen bonding is also responsible for the remarkable property that water has of being less dense as a solid than as a liquid. This is why ice floats, and bodies of water don't freeze from the bottom up.

If bodies of water didn't freeze from the top, life as we know it likely never could have developed.

Water is amazing stuff.

Y'all knew all of that already, though, of course.
    You realize you just completely sucked the fun out of that toy! :)

my work is done here.

;)

I wonder how many kids grew up to be an architect, or engineer, chemist, etc., based on the fascination with the toys of our youth? I sure did! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013

I wonder how many kids grew up to be an architect, or engineer, chemist, etc., based on the fascination with the toys of our youth? I sure did! :smile: [/quote]

I sure wanted to be a "COIN DEALER" for years and years. Still do in a way.. :D

I know I looked at a million pennies and coins looking for double dies.. ;) with my bare eyes too. :#

Never found them on any coins except Indian Head Pennies, and they have a ton of examples to be found. Now I have to get help to read some coins sometimes.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,048
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    llcs8t8bpk4a.jpg
    ky4wojb7r1wy.jpg

Wrist Rockets and Taconite Pellets. Good times.

Good thing I didn't know about those Taconite Pellets.......I'm assuming they explode on impact? I got in enough trouble with a large box full of rejected steel ball bearings from the local bearing factory some 40 years ago.
  • verb
    byso8dd8a3xp.jpg

You're still receiving those aren't ya, Hermit? :smile:
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    verb wrote: »
    Yep! I bet kids today haven't even heard the term/reference "lump of coal". They're too busy getting trophies for losing. They get a trophy for just participating. Pfft.

I remember one year I did something bad right before my birthday, I can't remember what it was. For my birthday, my parents gave me a card that said, "What comes around, goes around." No gift! That was devastating for a kid. I had to wait a whole nother year to get a birthday present. I probably didn't get a gift for using the word "nother".

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,034
    I had this one in yellow. Good times.

ta0ksg9gr83n.jpg
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    edited April 2018
    I wonder how many kids grew up to be an architect, or engineer, chemist, etc., based on the fascination with the toys of our youth? I sure did! :smile:

I sure wanted to be a "COIN DEALER" for years and years. Still do in a way.. :D

I know I looked at a million pennies and coins looking for double dies.. ;) with my bare eyes too. :#

Never found them on any coins except Indian Head Pennies, and they have a ton of examples to be found. Now I have to get help to read some coins sometimes.[/quote]

Tony, I started collecting coins in 1960. Lincoln cents to start, then everything that I could afford to save and put in a Whitman folder. The nice thing about back then, you could still get Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes, Standing Liberty Quarters and Walkers.

Many years later, I started buying complete sets of BU coins on the Bay (Jimbos*coins) and found a lot of doubled-dies and die cracks on Jefferson nickels. Had a lot of fun with them, Roosevelt dimes and Franklin halves, till they got too expensive.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Y’all remember having that thing we had before internet, cell phones, and “liking” everything? What was it called, oh yeah, it was called freedom. And the other thing many young people have never experienced with our digital world that we had, meaningful relationships that we valued and worked to earn and keep.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Tony M
    Pong and a phone "pager". Beginnings of things so superior it boggles the mind where they began. :o
  • verb
    Before wireless and now everybody has a drone!
    388pc8wvh4ep.png
  • Tony M
    edited April 2018
    Before wireless and now everybody has a drone!
    388pc8wvh4ep.png

I see a collision section of track on that elevated long bridge.. :D:s
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,181
    This is how us poor folk flew kites.
    7osdkbd1wywk.jpeg
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • dkfreebird
    Reminds me of the Pitch Back I had growing up for baseball. I have 6 brothers and I still needed one. :)
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018
    Yep! I bet kids today haven't even heard the term/reference "lump of coal". They're too busy getting trophies for losing. They get a trophy for just participating. Pfft.

I remember one year I did something bad right before my birthday, I can't remember what it was. For my birthday, my parents gave me a card that said, "What comes around, goes around." No gift! That was devastating for a kid. I had to wait a whole nother year to get a birthday present. I probably didn't get a gift for using the word "nother".

One year for Christmas I told my son he should ask Santa for a BBQ grill (he was 9 or 10). He asked why and I told him I heard he was getting a lot of coal this year. (But he did end up getting his regular presents)

He is 25 now and every Christmas he still talks about it.........

• txcoastal1
    How about the original redneck f-a-r-t machine, cut piece wire hanger, 2 rubber bands and a washer

If you don't know what that is your granpa didn't raise you right

You could also put it into an envelop as a rattle snake egg prank

I'm not going to google it or post a pic, you either know what it is or you don't
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited April 2018
    This guy got me through so much from when I was 11 or so until about 15 when I got a Discman.

sony-walkman-300x288.jpg

Even then, Discman's sucked bawls until they invented antiskip. 5 second antiskip! 10 second antiskip! Holy crap they have 20 SECOND ANTISKIP?! I can jog with my Discman! 1 MINUTE ANTISKIP?!?!?!?! I CAN GO OFFROADING WITH A DISCMAN NOW, MY LIFE DREAM!

discman-outside.jpg
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    My Sony Discman was terrible. If you sneezed near it, it would skip.
  • txcoastal1
    I sure dig the color of your nail polish Josh, ya' wanna go campin' ;)

• Nightfall
    I can't be the only one that destroyed their bike tires doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se3HNN9dd8Y

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    haha! Never saw that done before, but we did the baseball cards in the spokes with a clothespin for sure!
  • dkfreebird
    How about the chopper bike made by cutting forks off one bike and driving onto your bike.
    kgtre3owlnpx.jpeg
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• Nightfall
    edited April 2018
    This is only going to be for the few people on here in their 30's. When painted cardboard was the hottest thing on the playground.

img_0046.jpg

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    Guilty as charged!

Forgot all about POGS!