Estate Sale

2»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Very nice score, looks like real wood too
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    You did well for $20!
    oldrocker wrote: »
    She was smiling when I left <3 which is all that matters.

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Donald Fagan was a Floyd Cramer fan and influenced by his playing style - you can tell that by listening to "Sign in Stranger".
    [
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2018
    miner wrote: »
    Donald Fagan was a Floyd Cramer fan and influenced by his playing style - you can tell that by listening to "Sign in Stranger".

Interesting -- hadn't thought about that.

Cramer's style was certainly unique -- didn't folks call it "crying piano" or "weeping piano" or something like that?

I am a fan; I have my parents' copy of his album Last Date still :)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Here is one of my favorite Floyd Cramer contributions to an Elvis Presley song. "I'm Coming Home" (1961)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izbpgw2ofgE
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Philco 46-1213.

Approx. 71 yrs old, power cord shot, finish is rough.

4hnvcshzs732.jpg
    71g3t8aaa024.jpg
    zlcl5mgvo9sx.jpg
    a9lcgvy8o5jd.jpg
    gfuk1rkmvkdw.jpg
    l67dxq40m970.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Field coil speaker driver, too.
    Probably a darned nice radio with some TLC.
    Note that it has the "modern" FM band (88 to 108 MHz, umm I mean MC).

Loktal tubes (except for the outputs, which are 6V6, and the HV rectifier, which is a 5U4 -- oh, and a 6SQ7).
  • oldrocker
    As usual, I have no clue what I bought but for the few bucks I paid, I was thinking maybe I could at least pull the amp for another something.

Cabinet might go to friends who does great finish work.

Any idea what the green clamp like thing to the left of the TT is for?
  • mhardy6647
    The record player is a 78 rpm changer. That's a record support, not unlike the one used on the classic (for lack of a better word) Garrard Type A.

k12q8arnv5fx.png
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice find @oldrocker ! I have a Philco 41-290 recently restored. I found the following site very helpful during my restoration:
    http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/
    Have fun!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    The amp may be useful for other things, but that usefulness may be limited -- or may require a little resourcefulness on your part.

The speaker driver is electrodynamic -- instead of a permanent magnet speaker (as we've grown used to in most loudspeakers) this radio used an electromagnet motor for the speaker driver. This isn't a problem per se, but it may be a complication. It was pretty common for radio manufacturers to kill two birds with one stone and use the DC "electromagnet" (coil) as a choke (smoothing filter, analogous to a capacitor) in the high voltage power supply. You'll notice a four prong plug on the umbilicus from the amp to the speaker. Two pins are the signal, the other two are high voltage DC from the power supply to energize the electromagnetic coil in the speaker driver.

You may need to add a choke of appropriate value into the amp's power supply -- to replace the speaker's electromagnet if you want to use a PM speaker.
  • mhardy6647
    Interestingly, the radio apparently doesn't use the "modern" standard 10,7 MHz IF frequency for FM -- if I interpret the datasheet correctly, it's 9.1 MHz. That shouldn't be a problem... but it's certainly a little different. :)

dv1zxl2ic5md.png

• mhardy6647
    FWIW, this is how the Garrard stacks -- this Philco will be similar (10 inch 78s only, I reckon, though).

odtaj2uye59m.png
    source: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/rc884.shtml
  • oldrocker
    As always, excellent info guys...Thanks.

There was also a KLH model TT at the sale, it said Garrard on it. I didn't buy it.

Truth be told I only bought it because of the tubes and I liked the way the turntable cabinet door opened.

I have been giving it some thought to just pull the TT and put a different one in if that's even possible.

V- just looked at some pics of the 41-290, those look awfully cool.
  • verb
    Thanks Rocker! I had the chassis completely refurbished at a local repair shop. My field coil speaker was in good shape, so no issue there. I did, ahem, have the shop add a bluetooth receiver to it! :smiley: Lot's of old time radio programs can be streamed nowadays. Love it!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • oldrocker
    The speaker cone on this one looks good, still dusty & dirty but no dry rot I can see.

I was surprised that the felt on the platter was also still intact.

V-with your permission of course, I'd like to send you a few pm questions if I may?
  • verb
    Of course! Anytime!
  • mhardy6647
    Just to be very, very clear: there is nothing wrong a priori with field coil drivers. In fact, the best of them may be the best possible dynamic drivers, period.

This system, e.g., is all field coil.

a4g76c5wo27p.png

... and of course, the DC power supplies for the field coils are all vacuum tube. You can see two of them in the background in this photo. :p

eqhc3g18qppt.png

• mhardy6647
    As always, excellent info guys...Thanks.

There was also a KLH model TT at the sale, it said Garrard on it. I didn't buy it.

Truth be told I only bought it because of the tubes and I liked the way the turntable cabinet door opened.

I have been giving it some thought to just pull the TT and put a different one in if that's even possible.

V- just looked at some pics of the 41-290, those look awfully cool.

[emphasis added]

Well -- it could be done, although it wouldn't be quite trivial.
    The cartridge in that phonograph is probably crystal, with output akin to (maybe even greater than) line level. The input (mono!) on the amplifier would probably have no EQ (the cartridge is 'self-equalizing', so to speak) -- and, of course, the 78 rpm disks weren't EQ'd to the RIAA standard we use now (and which came along in the 1950s, some time after the introduction of 12" vinyl 33-1/3 rpm LP records).

You'd need a phono preamp and a mono cartridge in the tt, and/or a way to get mono output from the preamp.

But the output of the preamp may be OK as is to feed the phono input of the amplifier.

May be.

:)

• oldrocker
    Cool.

Not sure what I will do with it, sadly you are right, only plays 10' at 78.
    Thinking about pulling out the TT and putting another one in it's place.
    Did watch a video showing how an album drops, that was neat.
    Arm on this thing weighs a ton.

Probably better served to give this tube console thing a rest.
  • mhardy6647
    Cool.

well -- it depends on your end goals (if any).

What you have there is a very, very nice old console radio. Well worthy of rescue/restoration, I'd say. It can be a nice piece; even maybe a centerpiece in a family room (maybe even the right kind of living room). But not really for hifi. That doesn't mean it won't sound good (it probably will)... but not for serious, sit down and listen to it hifi.

This being said, there are absolutely consoles that are capable of good hifi (stereo) reproduction -- and they're not even necessarily expensive (although the best, of course, are -- like anything else).

"Chance favors the prepared mind", as L. Pasteur said... if that's what you want, keep your eyes peeled at yard sales, barn sales, etc., etc.

The "bones" in many of the 1950s and 1960s consoles from brands like Zenith, Motorola, and Magnavox were, and are, good, and quite capable of "hifi" as we would recognize it. They need some TLC, and generally also benefit from better loudspeakers than their makers endowed them with -- but, again, the bones are there.
  • oldrocker
    Probably better just stick to getting the exterior done for now.

Once again, THANKS for the info everyone :)
  • verb
    Cool.

Do it! Professor @mhardy6647 will assist every step of the way! :smiley:
  • oldrocker
    Philco 46-1213.

Approx. 71 yrs old, power cord shot, finish is rough.

4hnvcshzs732.jpg
    71g3t8aaa024.jpg
    zlcl5mgvo9sx.jpg
    a9lcgvy8o5jd.jpg
    gfuk1rkmvkdw.jpg
    l67dxq40m970.jpg

Here's the label
  • verb
    edited January 2020
    Thanks Dave for posting that! And Ivan too!

So I would say the rectifier tube 5U4G is worth some coin. Some NOS tubes like Ken Rad's can get a hundie. 2nd on the list would be the 6V6GT (you have 2 of em). Just do a quick search to see what they get.

Unfortunately I can only use the 7B7 for my Philco, of which I already have 2 NOS spares!

If they test good, I would try to let someone else use em. Good luck! :smile: