Receiver/Integrated to preamp

Options
I just picked up a Primare SPA21 used and my mainly need it as an amp but I think I'll utilize the preamp and built in dac for now.

I wanted to see if there is a good way to hook up my T+A preamp and use the Primare just for the amp. I'm thinking I'll use the tape out but would that bypass the Primare for the sound processing?
Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    So you want to use your new receiver as only an amp?
    I would suggest that you set the receiver to pure direct and use any input. If your receiver doesn’t have pure direct then set all controls to flat. This is my best guess on what you should do anyway.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Run the preouts on the preamp to a regular input on the Primare. You'll be running through two preamps in this scenario though, it's not necessary and might impact sound quality. You'll also have two volume knobs each affecting everything. Set everything sound processing wise on the Primare to zero/off.

Your question is worded in a confusing way though, I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to achieve.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Basically just the Primare as just an amp. I got it for pretty cheap and will eventually get a 2 channel amp when the budget allows.

The Primare will do for now it's good having a remote again and sounding great so far. I'm not seeing a good way to do it. There's a bypass mode but the volume control still works so going to use as an integrated for now.

Thanks for your guy's suggestions.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• KrazyMofo24
    Options
    I emailed support and they had me use the analog input and set the volume control at 50. Per support "turn up the SPA21
    about halfway and should have roughly unity gain (relatively pass
    through, but through the volume potentiometer none-the-less)"

I did that and it's sounding great. I'm sure it's not perfect but definite improvement over my old setup and prefer it over using just the Primare. I'm a happy camper for now.
    Setup:

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    I emailed support and they had me use the analog input and set the volume control at 50. Per support "turn up the SPA21
    about halfway and should have roughly unity gain (relatively pass
    through, but through the volume potentiometer none-the-less)"

I did that and it's sounding great. I'm sure it's not perfect but definite improvement over my old setup and prefer it over using just the Primare. I'm a happy camper for now.

lol. That's what I told you to do! :p
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • KrazyMofo24
    Options
    It was I should have just tried it. I’m glad I didn’t downgrade my preamp to my second setup.
    Setup: