SDA 2 Newbie - Have Questions - Need Advice

Options
jjklongisland
jjklongisland Posts: 11
edited April 2018 in Vintage Speakers
v36o7rgysube.jpg
OK, so I did something I normally dont do. I went on Craigslist and bought a pair of used Polk SDA 2's off an older gentlemen who is obviously really into vintage audio equipment. Since he had so many pairs of different speakers I figured either I could find a nice set for my 2 car garage mancave or even possibly score a set of decent speakers for my new home theater under construction. He told me these SDA 2's were "audiofile" grade speakers and when he played them in his very small den they really sounded great. I listened to big 15" cerwin Vegas, and a few other models. I was very surprised at how great the older Polks sounded so I bought them for $200. The cabinets themselves are a little rough and they are missing the grilles but I figured what the heck, and he could use the money. When I brought them home to try them out in my garage I connected them to my basic 2 channel budget yamaha receiver I bought specifically for bluetooth to power a set of old pioneer tower speakers for garage listening while wrenching on cars. While at low volumes they sounded great but when I started to crank them the two mid range speakers (on the right channel) started to **** and distort. I immediately got disappointed and thought I wasted my money and should have just bought a new set of Elacs for my home theater at Best Buy. Then I started doing more research. The reviews on these old polks are amazing and alot of people swear by them. I then called the guy I bought them from and wanted to see if he would take them back or trade them for a pair of B&W bookshelfs he had. He told me that it would be a mistake and that the Polks were alot better speaker its just I had a crappy amp connected. He told me about the 4 ohm etc and then I had to educate myself on ohms and power etc. Hopefully the basic receiver I was using to power these is the reason at high volume they start to distort (dont know why I only experienced on the left side) and they had no bottom end. That leads me to my current predicament requiring advice.

Either

A: Shell out $1300 for a new Marrantz 9.2 receiver that has enough power to push these and use them for my home theater and buy a center channel and rears (I have my heart set on a SVS 1000PB sub) that would compliment these vintage bad boys or

B: Stick with a moderate new reciever Onkyo or Yamaha Avantege for around $600 and add a separate amplifier just to power the Polks or

C. Scrap the old polks and invest in a new hometheater sound system with a total budget of $2200 all the while wondering if I blew an opportunity to have a better system with the vintage polks, or

D : Dont use them for my home theater, keep them for the garage and wait for a decent used amp to connect to my basic yamaha stereo receiver.

If I was going to keep these Polks as home theater front channels, what would be a good center channel that would go well with these? I was always told that the front 3 speakers should match brand and series etc but these are old.

Lastly, I realized that these Polks should have came with an interconnected cable that wakes them up even more. Would I need that in a 5.1 set up or will that mess up the tech of a new receiver etc.

Overall finished basement size is 25'x16' but the area that my theater is going is about 18'x 13' but is open to the rest of the overall finished side.

Comments

• jjklongisland
    Options
    I just with Onkyo regarding their receivers and they told me that its not good idea to mix 4 ohm speakers with 6 or 8 ohms because things tend to fry? If thats true it adds a new dynamic to the equation.... :(
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    I just with Onkyo regarding their receivers and they told me that its not good idea to mix 4 ohm speakers with 6 or 8 ohms because things tend to fry? If thats true it adds a new dynamic to the equation.... :(

yes that can be hard on a receiver. The question is what SDA2 do you have? There are 3. SDA2 SDA2a and SDA2b. SDA2 and SDA2a are both 4ohm and can dip low to almost 2ohm at certain frequencies. Those two are both better suited to Amplifiers.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I can't imagine any version of the 2s having a lack of bass... Did they come with the interconnect cable? Do they pass the air bleed test?
  • jjklongisland
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys. Bear with my lack of knowledge in this subject. Trying to get a crash course. The back of the speaker just says SDA 2 serial number L SDA II 10675. They have 1 tweeter, two mids, and woofer. I do not have the interconnect cable. Haven't done any testing since I would have to hit up youtube to figure out how to do it. I think I have come to the realization to find a decent amplifier and keep them as garage speakers. My garage is 24'x34' so large speakers will do well in there.

Can anyone recommend a decent amplifier that will push these.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Picture of front. Is the interconnect socket blade/blade or pin/blade
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Pull the top drivers sda2a will be 2x 6510
    Sda2b will be 1 6503 and 1 6511. Do not put them back in the opposite hole if the latter
  • jjklongisland
    Options
    ok... thanks for the help. I will do in the morning. 4 hours of speaker research after work is causing my brain to scramble...
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    My money is on sda2a 4ohm and dip much lower. Receiver killer they are.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    @jjklongisland have you checked out this sticky? I always start here when doing my research. Good stuff from @VR3 !
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/133384/all-the-polk-sda-upgrades-located-in-one-place/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    They look like 2As with real walnut veneer. Never seen them with fiber gaskets on the woofers though.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jjklongisland
    Options
    I will have time to find out after work tonight. Had to work late last night...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Looks like your midwoofers have been replaced by a previous owner with some old ones.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    Options
    Interesting on the driver numbers. Found this in another thread with the same driver question.
    w888lpgvdz8k.png
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/113321/polk-7as-are-they-worth-fixing
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jjklongisland
    Options
    So is it a coincidence that numbers are kind of inverted. 6510 vs 1056?

Also my uncle is giving me his Soundcraftsmen 410 watt rms PM840. Hopefully these can push these...
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Interesting for sure, even the cabinets look odd to me. Could be a very early 2A
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• verb
    Options
    So is it a coincidence that numbers are kind of inverted. 6510 vs 1056?

Also my uncle is giving me his Soundcraftsmen 410 watt rms PM840. Hopefully these can push these...

Not sure, but good catch! Early Monitors as far as i could glean. Maybe other more esteemed and knowledgeable Polkies can opine!
  • jjklongisland
    Options
    Found this right up in a spanish version of eBay after doing a google search n the following: 1056 speaker x 1261

you are buying one Polk Monitor 10 Midrange Driver, a 6 1/2 inch speaker. It came out of a Polk Monitor 10 speaker cabinet that I bought in 1978. This is an earlier version, before the 10A and 10B cabs. The markings on the back are stamped, not on a paper label. The markings, stamped in red ink, are "X, 1261" "1056" and "7815", along with a large number handwritten with a black felt maker, probably a Sharpie. The "1056" and "7815" are smeared but I'm pretty sure that's what they say. As far as what these numbers mean, my guess is "7815" is a date code: the 15th week of 1978. The handwritten numbers may function as serial numbers for Polk's test or inventory records. I don't know what the other stamped numbers mean. The "10" of "1056" may mean the driver was destined for the Monitor 10. This driver comes out of a cabinet that was in frequent use, by me in my home, up to about two months ago when I had to decommission the cabinet due to size and weight. The driver is in good working order. Placing my ohmmeter across the terminals gives me a reading of 6.5 ohms. The impedance is 8 ohms.
  • verb
    Options
    Yep I seen that one too. Didn't have to run it through Google translator though! :smile:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Someone did a really bad job reveneering those cabinets.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Someone did a really bad job reveneering those cabinets.

Plus the wrong woofers, should be MW6510s. Lord knows what shape the crossovers are in.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jjklongisland
    Options
    Judging by the recent comments this is all making me more nervous realizing I may not have bought what a true unadulterated SDA-2. Looks like I will be having a chat with the guy that sold them to me...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Your best bet at this point is either return them if you can or sell off the parts. I would not put another red cent into those.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    Options
    Crossover looks unmolested
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/