Farewell to OPPO Electronics

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    What no one has brought up is money... We do not know how far in debt the company is. Could be the banks are unwilling to keep a line going on the company, not enough to file bankruptcy but too much to continue.

Either way this is a shock and I wish I was in a position to buy the 205. It was the player I was going to buy sometime in the future.....
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    The price for units might go up or they might go down.

Anybody have a thought about this Oppo market now?

I think they will rise like rare Tiffany & Co. jewelry, Frames or what ever, like the Sony FM tuner that sells for 300 now too. I have a Sony Tuner Box and it does sound good.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I don't think pricing will go down necessarily, if anything, the vaccum will probably cause a stability in pricing for a while until new tech emerges and renders current production models to be obsolete.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    Crutchfield sold out of their 205 stock last night. 2 week wait now. They are selling well with the news.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Crutchfield sold out of their 205 stock last night. 2 week wait now. They are selling well with the news.

Same with the 203...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    there will not be many to be had I'm pretty sure......Used prices will go through the roof.....
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Options
    OPPO still has both in stock...at least currently
    https://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=16
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Coincidentally, I received this email from DVDFab this morning.

"Time to Wave Final Goodbye to AACS 2.0

Breaking News! We've just announced our complete solution package to decrypt the AACS 2.0 encryptions on 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays. This means, from decryption to backup/conversion and then to playback, you no longer need to manually update the leaked keys from internet.

• DVDFab 10 — From version 10.0.8.8 on, the UHD Copy and UHD Ripper are armed with the capacity to remove the AACS 2.0 encryptions from genuine 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs.

• Passkey — From version 9.3.0.2 on, the Passkey for Blu-ray is able to decrypt the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, at no extra cost to existing paid users.

• Player 5 — From version 5.0.0.9 on, DVDFab Player 5 can play back the protected 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs on its own.

Time to get rid of the AACS 2.0 forever!"
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    It seems like HOT PROPERTY for sure.

I wonder if the older models like the 95 or 93 will become hotly wanted pieces too?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Decided to order a 203.

It’s the player I want in my HT once I upgrade the TV, I’ll just have the UHD player before the UHD TV.

Haha
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Decided to order a 203.

It’s the player I want in my HT once I upgrade the TV, I’ll just have the UHD player before the UHD TV.

Haha

Smart. It’s a great unit.
    I am close to ordering a 205 for my future basement room. Waiting for my accountant to give me the final damage before do.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Already have a 205. I think the value will go up once there's no more new stock. But mine's not going anywhere. I also have a pair of their PM-3 headphones. I did order a set of replacement ear pads. Nothing wrong with mine, but they will eventually need to be replaced and there's no generic replacement available.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Maybe they stayed in CA too long? I know I did.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Ordered a 2nd 205 today just to be safe. I will probably use it instead of my 103D.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    This sucks, I'm getting very tired of watch company after company store after Store close. Toy R Us is also going out of business. The world as we use to know it is going away
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    This sucks, I'm getting very tired of watch company after company store after Store close. Toy R Us is also going out of business. The world as we use to know it is going away

Yep. I'm sure people alive in the 50s just HATED life since there was no K-Mart, Toys-r-us, or Oppo.

And they probably lamented the fact that horse and buggies had been systematically replaced by those demonic gas powered motor vehicles...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,908
    Options
    I have been going back and forth in my head debating on buying a second 205.. ugh...
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I purchased a 203 a few months ago. I bought it to play what few SACD's I have, and to use is as a Transport into a DAC.

I was a little up-tight when I heard the news of OPPO closing shop, but I've gotten over it. Still glad I have the 203, it's a good Disc Spinner.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I don't see it as a major issue. How many companies have closed their doors in the past ? One door closes, another opens.

How many of us have gear from companies already gone ? Joule ? McCormack ? Carver ? Enjoy your Oppo and don't fret over it. Eventually someone else will come out with a comparable product.

Besides....it's almost grill season here in the Midwest. Priorities man, priorities. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options

Dang -- well there goes my primary source for audio purchases.

:|

ahem.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »

Yep, likely won't be long before Sears and K-Mart are gone as well.

They've been moribund for years -- the astonishing thing is that there are still some with the doors open.
    tonyb wrote: »
    I don't see it as a major issue. How many companies have closed their doors in the past ? One door closes, another opens.

How many of us have gear from companies already gone ? Joule ? McCormack ? Carver ? Enjoy your Oppo and don't fret over it. Eventually someone else will come out with a comparable product.

Besides....it's almost grill season here in the Midwest. Priorities man, priorities. :)

Whaddya mean, almost? I grilled last night, in the teeth of 60 mph gusts as a cold front roared through.

:p
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Whaddya mean, almost? I grilled last night, in the teeth of 60 mph gusts as a cold front roared through.

Hold on to your hat! And... the hot dogs and hamburgers?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    @mhardy6647 is a real man. @tonyb step it up man! Isn't the grill season worth a little pain?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Hold on to your hat! And... the hot dogs and hamburgers?

country style ribs -- nice and dense so they didn't blow away.
    Hamburgers woulda been Frisbees, man! ;)

Heck, we grille year round. I drag the ol' Weber out onto the driveway and do what needs to be done.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options

Come on Dan, dramatic much? You work in this industry, you know probably before the rest of us how fast things are changing. Life is built on change, you either adapt and change with it or become useless. In which case, move over and get out of the way for the rest of us.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Pigs R Us was my avatar name for my fantasy football team for years. Carry on.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Cheap BDP's have dominated the market for some time now. In fact, I've read on here more than once about a complaint with a more expensive spinner not reading discs but a cheaper LG, Sony, whatever reads the disc without fail. Granted, not an Oppo but other's.

I see less and less BDP's from the companies which are frequently mentioned on here. While I agree that more and more people are streaming (which I don't like, physical media fan here all the way, with all formats) the fact of the matter is cheap BDP's dominate, period. They don't cost much and if they last a couple years, no big deal, just go buy another cheap player (throw away society!) My parents Panasonic BDP was only around $100, I think, has WIFI built in, plays everything they throw at it and, so far, has lasted them over 5 years with no hiccups. They aren't audio nuts like most of here are but are very pleased none the less.

I'm sad to see Oppo go the way of the dodo bird but not surprised. As was mentioned, another company will pick up the slack...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    True. Anyone can go to Walmart and buy ten name brand Blu Ray players for the price of one Oppo. They get the job done for most people who want to spin discs.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Look at how Sony has flooded the market with the UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player for $150....
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I have a cheap Sony plastic box about the size of cake mix that plays sacd's I tried it once. It's fine though for movies that I don't watch.

Anyway I predicted physical media would be gone in five years, for all intents and purposes it will be, until someone says it looks better.