A project for 2018: Compendium of Polk Audio ads, etc.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Nice! Thanks for postin'!

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Mmmmm, aren't those gorgeous? I just LOVE my 2.3TL's. I just finished a full modification on those babies and they are absolutely jaw-dropping. B)
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Mmmmm, aren't those gorgeous? I just LOVE my 2.3TL's. I just finished a full modification on those babies and they are absolutely jaw-dropping. B)

Yeah yeah I'm jealous!!! Do you have any pics???
    Baby steps for me. 2B, 1C, ... who knows??? SRT's???
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    verb wrote: »

Alright, you MADE ME say this. Although I appreciate you dropping the space before your question marks and exclamation points, you should limit yourself to ONE of either. Plus, in most cases, a period would be best at the end of sentences that aren't questions.

And before anybody thinks I am being a total doosh, I like verb and I know he has a great sense of humor. :p

As far as the question, I only have pics of the boards that Trey (Version3) made for me. (see below)

13s0aoqnywc7.jpg
  • verb

Alright, you MADE ME say this. Although I appreciate you dropping the space before your question marks and exclamation points, you should limit yourself to ONE of either. Plus, in most cases, a period would be best at the end of sentences that aren't questions.

And before anybody thinks I am being a total doosh, I like verb and I know he has a great sense of humor. :p

As far as the question, I only have pics of the boards that Trey (Version3) made for me. (see below)

13s0aoqnywc7.jpg

LOL! Yes you are a doosh! Remember I'm your elder!
    Nice XO's btw.
    Notice I've curtailed my use of exclamation points! Doosh! LOL!
  • Viking64
    Nice XO's btw.

HAHAHAHA If you were in college when the space shuttle blew up, I may have a year or two on you. :D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ^^^ Nice addition! I've never seen that ad, nor (?!?) those loudspeakers before.
    I may be wrong about the latter observation -- but not the former! This is a new one on me.

Thanks very much for posting it to this thread.

You've never seen LS or S series?

apparently? ;)

I kind of dropped out of hifi from the mid-1980s until the late 1990s (kids and career).

Funny from what I've seen you never dropped back in.. :p
    Ziiinngg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nice XO's btw.

HAHAHAHA If you were in college when the space shuttle blew up, I may have a year or two on you. :D

Ha ha i watched it LIVE on TV at work.
    You little whippersnapper
    My high school science teacher was one of the top three.... luckily she had gotten sick and they dropped her. The rest is history.
  • verb
    Nice XO's btw.

Well, I did a detour mid way through college (4 years in the Air Force) and then finished. Whippersnapper!
  • Viking64
    Well, my username is a dead giveaway as to my age. :p
  • Viking64
    I can remember watching the first space shuttle land on TV and then going to work after school. :D April 14th, 1981.
  • verb
    Found these today:
    6bx7vu4bmpw5.png
    aietg5kwuzgf.png
  • verb
    1985 Sales Brochure (courtesy of PolkSDA.com)
    qk23ysxnsj63.png

• mhardy6647
    Thanks for keepin' the flame burning. I got kind of -- busy (believe it or not -- lately.

I think I have that same Audiogram newsletter. I was gonna post it but... well, you know...

I will see what I've got, and if it is different, I shall post it -- anon.

• verb
    Thanks for keepin' the flame burning. I got kind of -- busy (believe it or not -- lately.

I think I have that same Audiogram newsletter. I was gonna post it but... well, you know...

Aren't you retired? :smile:
  • verb
    Unknown magazine Centerfold?
    mw7s01vkd21w.png
    5wau0tsaaco0.png
  • mhardy6647

Aren't you retired? :smile:

Yeah -- but I am not very good at it.
  • mhardy6647
    Unknown magazine Centerfold?
    mw7s01vkd21w.png
    5wau0tsaaco0.png

Number 18 on the Reader's Service Card - how hard can it be to figure out? ;)
  • Viking64
    I have that same SDA ad but in a pamphlet form. It has 6 pages PLUS the front and back covers. I posted it from elsewhere on Club Polk a few months ago. I'll check to see if I can find it. It was very interdasting. :p
  • Viking64
    "Everything you hear is true" always made me think of the Firesign Theater album "Everything You Know Is Wrong". :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_You_Know_Is_Wrong
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Interesting that the XO plate in the picture appear to be badly sun-faded and they chose them for the picture.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    I just discovered (I think??) this ad -- July 1974 Audio.

ez2e0uw6za3q.png
  • verb
    Cool. I’m sure you have a set in your emporium! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    sooooo...
    since last January, I learned that www.americanradiohistory.com has a searchable database of their scanned library of Audio, Stereo Review, and High Fidelity!

whoo-hoo! :)

Ergo, more vintage Polk Audio ads comin' your way!

Here's a classic :) This was espied in the November 1979 issue of Stereo Review.

9x2de968f39p.png

EDIT: oops, @verb posted this ad back on Page 3 of this thread! Derp.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    From the 1976 Stereo Review Directory.
    Humble beginnings :)

kh6ddc03lhfu.png

From the 1977 Directory, the golden age :)

8x4oskjuw3hm.png

... and the infamous ;) SoundCables (later "Cobra Cables"), from the 1978 Directory

pnbth6gm2xne.png

(notice that nothing is said about the capacitance of these cables :p )

1980 Directory:

lvcd1d4ssipv.png
  • mhardy6647
    In January 1980, Stereo Review tested the Monitor 10! :)

y1cn6p9jy4y4.png

source: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/80s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1980-01.pdf pp 44 and 49
  • mhardy6647
    1982 Directory ad:

3jeg5gz0v7yl.png

1983 Directory ad:

ddjcrh3f4d0s.png