Essence HDACC

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
Esteemed Polkies -

Have not yet dipped my toe in to the DAC thing, but I am intrigued. I spend a lot of time in my office after work, sometimes work from home, play music through iTunes, computer audio card, and a set of Logitech 3.1 speakers. Yes I know, I'm way behind the times!

Time for a make over. I was thinking about the Essence DAC (1st gen) to power a set of TSi200s. I karma'd the amp :smile: recently so I'll have to pull a Denon Integrated out of the basement and put it to use. I'll check later but I can't recall what model it is.

The Essence seems pretty versatile, as you can adjust the upscaling frequency as desired. Handles all formats, except DSD, which I believe the newer version does.

fej8fzyd84u3.png

http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/hdacc/

Several of you Polkies have raved on the Essence, including @halo, @DSkip, and @tonyb. Any others? Please opine!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Great DAC for the price. Skip & I have talked at length about DACs in this price range & this is the top dawg.

Still, I wonder how a Schiit Modi2 Multibit DAC @ $249 might fare against it or even a Schiit Bifrost @ $399.

Keep in mind that once you purchase the HDACC from essence it is yours to keep unless it malfunctions in the first 3 days (then you are eligible for a new HDACC under warranty). Read the return/sales policy on the essence page carefully and be absolutely sure you want to commit to this DAC. With Schiit, you get 15 days to try it out & if it doesn't float your boat, send it back.

I'm not endorsing one > the other, just want you to be aware of the sales policy @ essence. I haven't hear a Schiit DAC so I cannot comment on their sound quality but they get good reviews and a lot of people like their products. The essence received a great review from TAS & I thought it sounded great. Probably one of the best DACs I've ever owned.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • verb
    Thanks @halo I did read in a thread your comments about the return (or lack of) policy! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    NP. It helps to be an informed consumer! :smile:
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Currently a tie for my second favorite DAC, pending an additional test. Could move up in rank.

Skip the upsampling.

Consider other USB DACs, as well, as noted above. Recent experience has me thinking that part of the benefit to USB DACs is just that - the USB connectivity. I've had pleasing results with the HRT MSHD. Performance that I never experienced with digital coax DACs,amd even a better experience with a DAC I previously didn't care for when used with digital coax.

Consider your desired music resolution as some of these units may have limitations.

If possible, add a second quality USB controller card to your PC to completely isolate the DAC from other USB components. USB's pretty promiscuous.

Get a nice shielded USB cable. I like the AQ Forest.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
  • verb
    edited April 2018
    msg wrote: »
    Skip the upsampling.

I've read mixed reviews on the upsampling. What's been you're experience?
    Post edited by verb on
  • verb
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Hans seems to think this is the bees knees

Hans seems a bit uptight! Had not heard of that one! Thanks @afterburnt!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Planning to use the USB input? What OS are you running? 1st gen HDACC will not work with Win10.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    For the 4 bones, and the SQ, you'd be hard pressed to do better. Like the previous poster suggested though, make sure it's not a 1st generation machine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Planning to use the USB input? What OS are you running? 1st gen HDACC will not work with Win10.

Yep. USB input, still running win7. I did read your comments about not being compatible with win10. Thanks!
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    It is a great unit and hard to beat at current list price. If it was at its original price of $699, I could offer a few better options.

This is the DAC that got me off my Pioneer BDP-51fd and into computer audio. I would avoid any cheap Schiit and even the Yggdrasil had that similar sterile sound to it that I don't favor. I had my system so dialed in with this in it that even better DAC's like the AMR CD-777 and Chord Hugo didn't sound better in my rig. I could tell they were far superior DAC's, but they just didn't gel well. I think if you loved the sound and wanted to move up while retaining the tone, you'd be looking at the AURALiC Vega or Altair as a good move.

If you were able to find a Marantz HD-DAC1 used for near that price, there would be no comparison between the two - the Marantz is MUCH superior.

Thanks @DSkip always appreciate your advice. How does the Marantz AMP-1 compare DAC wise to the DAC-1? Are they the same? I do like the idea of an all in one rig for my office.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    The Essence has a similar ESS chipset to the AMP-1. 9012 in the Essence, 9010 in the Marantz.

The DAC-1 uses the Cirrus Logic chip which I'd imagine has a different (and IMO better) sonic characteristic.
    verb wrote: »
    Thanks @DSkip always appreciate your advice. How does the Marantz AMP-1 compare DAC wise to the DAC-1? Are they the same? I do like the idea of an all in one rig for my office.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited April 2018
    Good call. iFi stereo 50 worth a look @verb

iFi%20Retro%20Stereo%2050%20front.jpg

iFi%20Retro%20Stereo%2050%20rear.jpg
  • verb
    Yep I did run across that one. Tubes to boot! Love the retro look!
  • msg
    IIRC, it just had a bit of weird, slightly unnatural sense about it at times. Certainly didn't notice any marked improvement with it enabled. If you end up with one, see which you like best.

This DAC sweetened a tube integrated I was playing with along with a SBT and some LSi7s at the time.
    Skip the upsampling.
    I've read mixed reviews on the upsampling. What's been you're experience?
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    Thanks @msg ! Have you had any corndogs lately? :smiley:
  • verb
    Thanks everyone for your comments! So I pulled the trigger on the Essence! 1st generation. Can't wait to donate my Logitech speakers to Goodwill! :smiley:
  • verb

Get a nice shielded USB cable. I like the AQ Forest.

Thanks. I went with the Cinammon.

• msg
    Spy-sayyy!
    What are your listening criteria, do you have a general evaluative process yet? I ask because I'm only just realizing I never really did before, and still don't quite really have broad experience with what to listen for. My last insight came quite by accident. I was looking more for generally smooth, full, not fatiguing response, with improvements in articulation, control, clarity, etc., all the characteristic improvements I'd been exposed to to date. What I was not ready for, however, was the change in imaging performance. I'd never really experienced any real imaging outside if a strong center and some obvious stereo channel placement. One you have an experience where you get a sense of placement, and depth, for example, it sort of spoils you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    edited April 2018
    Just ordered it. I’ll let you know! :smile:
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Just ordered it. I’ll let you know! :smile:

Have you received the DAC? I purchased my Essence from @halo. I do not have a lot to add from what the others have said about this DAC. It was an upgrade from my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. It is a great DAC for the price. I also have the Marantz HD-DAC1 in my main system and the Marantz wins hands down but in all fairness, it is in another price range.
  • verb
    I did @indyhawg ! Haven't hooked it up yet however. I plan to pair it with a Dayens Ampino integrated just bought from @AsSiMiLaTeD ! :smile:
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I did @indyhawg ! Haven't hooked it up yet however. I plan to pair it with a Dayens Ampino integrated just bought from @AsSiMiLaTeD ! :smile:

The Dayens it's a great amp as well. I sold mine to Russ about a year ago.
  • halo
    I’m glad it stayed in the family fellas.

@verb please let me know if you ever decide to part with it.
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    To put this into perspective, sound wise it competes directly with the Oppo 105. I don't recommend the Oppo players for music purposes but at the price of the Essence it's about as good as it gets. The Marantz house sound is more musical where the Oppo/essence sound is a little cleaner with more details.

Hi Skip was going through some of my old threads as I prepare for the EAD transport and new DAC. Help me with some of the nomenclature:

Marantz - More musical?

Oppo - Cleaner, more details?

I'm new to this audiophile lingo thing, if you'll bear with me. :smile: