Aragon 8008BB vs B&K M200 monoblock amps

Looking to to upgrade and I have these two locally I'm considering. Both are in the $1,000 budget I'm trying to keep. Thoughts?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Find a way to buy both of them. Compare them against each other. Then sell the one you like less.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Find a way to buy both of them. Compare them against each other. Then sell the one you like less.

I wish I could! Maybe offer a shoot out competition
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2018
    Well, the B&K monoblocks are already out unless you have AI-1 or Dreadnought.

Do you know if the Aragon is common ground?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Nightfall wrote: »

This is a good point. I know my 8008x3 is not, but it's a 3 channel amp, so...
  • audioluvr

Yes I have the Dreadnaught.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    audioluvr wrote: »

B&K sounds great and if you have the proper space for them and your power circuit isn't already too loaded monoblocks are just cool is my vote.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited March 2018

B&K sounds great and if you have the proper space for them and your power circuit isn't already too loaded monoblocks are just cool is my vote.

If he can get B&K monoblocks they are the way to go. They are very high current amps, they can deliver twice the current a 200.2 can, the power supplies are the same. They have 150 amps of current available to drive the most power hungry speakers there are without breaking a sweat.

I would be all over those.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited March 2018
    I'm a big B&K fan, but I just started reading about this Aragon. I'm intrigued. Dual 1.1KVA toroids? Pfwhewee. I love the B&K sound, but I'd want to check out this Aragon, too.

I have no sense of whether these transformers are anything like the Avel Lindberg KVA used in the Dreadnought, but if they are... well I don't know what that means, but I'm curious now, because even just one of those AvLin ones is friggin mmmassive.

I couldn't find a current spec for the 8008BB, but Aragon's product page says it can take advantage of one's entire 15A/120V circuit? What/how that works I don't know.

Wouldn't want this dilemma :) like Viking says, I'd be trying to justify buying both to compare.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    msg wrote: »
    I'm a big B&K fan, but I just started reading about this Aragon. I'm intrigued. Dual 1.1KVA toroids? Pfwhewee. I love the B&K sound, but I'd want to check out this Aragon, too.

I have no sense of whether these transformers are anything like the Avel Lindberg KVA used in the Dreadnought, but if they are... well I don't know what that means, but I'm curious now, because even just one of those AvLin ones is friggin mmmassive.

I couldn't find a current spec for the 8008BB, but Aragon's product page says it can take advantage of one's entire 15A/120V circuit? What/how that works I don't know.

Wouldn't want this dilemma :) like Viking says, I'd be trying to justify buying both to compare.

From the early amps I heard from Mondial Designs were arc welders. They grabbed a hold of speakers and made them their biotch. I have not heard any of the amps once the went to Klipch or Indy audio. I can't imagine they changed but one never knows.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    I prefer the house sound of B&K (warm and smooth) all day and twice on Sunday over the Aragon house sound (bright and fatiguing).
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    I prefer the house sound of B&K (warm and smooth) all day and twice on Sunday over the Aragon house sound (bright and fatiguing).

I ran an Aragon 8008 MkII for eight years and never would describe it that way. It is/was excellent. Ran it with LSI-15s and then SF Cremonas with a ModWright tube pre. The MkII is identical internally to the 8008BB but with Klipsh cosmetics which look a lot better. Only went away from it due to downsizing to an integrated. In fact if someone is interested I will be letting it go.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • audioluvr
    edited March 2018
    Ya, I'm really leaning towards the B&K's especially since I have an outlet behind each speaker and they are on separate circuits...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Well I picked up the B&K M200 Sonata mono's today. Opened them up to clean them but they were in pretty good shape. These are really simple inside. One 1kva transformer, 4 beer can sized Panasonic capacitors and one pcb with
    a zillion sandcast resistors. Transformer says "made exclusively for B&K 1992".

My first impression compared to the Carver M1.0 mk2 was slightly more/tighter bass, imaging was much more defined. These attributes I am very pleased with but there was a crispness to certain sounds like horns, and when fingers are slid across guitar strings, that took on an almost harshness that soon turned fatiguing. I would play a song or two on one amp then switch to the other. Listening to classical, country, rock, pop and techno.

At higher volumes on certain music I would almost have to say I like the warm, non-fatiguing sound of the Carver better.

BUT in the meantime I think I will leave the B&K's hooked up for a while. I may get used to them.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I don't have direct experience with the B&K monoblocks, but I've owned a few other B&K amps and I'm really surprised by the fatiguing sound comment. Maybe these need a little refreshing? Normally B&K sound is described as musical and maybe even a little laid back.

I've also never heard that Carver amp so maybe it is even more laid back sounding than the standard B&K offering.
  • audioluvr
    Essentially I am comparing a 26 year old amp to one that's better than new. Many other factors here as well. Could be my ears are sensitive to certain higher frequencies. Who knows. I am bringing friends over tomorrow to get 3rd party evaluation... Right now I'm listening to Depeche Mode on them. Love the image clarity these produce. I'm curious what can be done to them upgrade wise
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Update: I recently set up my presets on my B&K Pre/Pro and moved my DVD player to the CD input since I never used it as a DVD. Well in doing so I forgot to check how the previous owner had programmed the settings (I had the DVD set up flat). Long story short they were set up with the treble turned WAY up. Now I'm pretty sure I will be keeping them. I still like the warm sound the Carver produces but I think they will be going into my barn with the SDA 2.3's.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Glad it was a simple fix/tweak. Those are great looking amps and from what you are describing, they image like a ****! Nice choice.

Got any pics of them or your setup?
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Firstly, congratulations on the purchase of the B&K monoblocks.

I have not heard the B&K's, but I used to own the Mondial made Aragon 8008bb amplifier. For my tastes, B&K makes a warmer (but also less detailed) sounding amplifier. The bass is looser, and more muddy sounding (I won't say muddy, however).

The Aragon 8008bb is a great amp and as stated, will control your speakers with ease. The reason I sold it was because (to my ears) it was "robo-bass" sounding. The bass sounded artificial because it was too well controlled. The high end was on the harsh side and the midrange needed more warmth and presence, IMO.

I think you made the right choice going with the B&K.

I wanted to suggest an upgrade at some point. Mine was from was from the Aragon to a Pass Aleph 30, to a Balanced Audio Technology VK-200 (which I recently sold) and now own a BAT VK-255SE.

I would suggest upgrading to a Balanced Audio Technology amplifier at some point as it is a great balance of solid, tight bass (without being "robo-bass"), warm midrange and highs, all with having excellent detail and resolution.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • audioluvr
    edited April 2018
    headrott wrote: »

I have not heard the B&K's...

I would suggest upgrading to a Balanced Audio Technology amplifier at some point...

Thanks, the more I listen to them the more I like them. Imaging went from "somewhere over there to "Bam! pinpoint accuracy!"

Ya, I wanted to get your BAT amp but the timing just wasn't right. It's all a work in progress here but other than a couple line conditioners and figuring a rack system I'm pretty happy with what I have.

Anybody know if these amps can be safely operated in the vertical position?

zrg9xaioymco.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I wouldn't operate them vertically
  • audioluvr
    Gotcha
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    headrott wrote: »

I have not heard the B&K's...

I would suggest upgrading to a Balanced Audio Technology amplifier at some point...

Thanks, the more I listen to them the more I like them. Imaging went from "somewhere over there to "Bam! pinpoint accuracy!"

Ya, I wanted to get your BAT amp but the timing just wasn't right. It's all a work in progress here but other than a couple line conditioners and figuring a rack system I'm pretty happy with what I have.

Anybody know if these amps can be safely operated in the vertical position?

zrg9xaioymco.jpg

The SKS is a nice touch, really makes a statement.
  • audioluvr

Not as much as the sign at the bottom of the driveway...

arcojqjl2hfe.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

Not as much as the sign at the bottom of the driveway...

arcojqjl2hfe.jpg

I want some of those signs to place randomly around my patrol
  • audioluvr
    Pretty much stopped people from coming up my driveway randomly. I fish occasionally with some county deputies and that was their first reaction too. " Oh I have GOT to get some of these!"
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC