Once in awhile....

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
edited March 2018 in The Clubhouse
You come across an estate sale and the owners had pretty good taste i music....not bad for a buck a piece. I did have to hear how the lady who ran the sale thought her Bose Waveradio CD player was the best.
6yimgrbmwfd8.jpeg

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Buck a piece isn't bad!

Have you ever heard a Bose Wave Radio?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I have that Mussorgsky CD with the funky, red rooster on the cover. :p
  • kevhed72
    edited March 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Buck a piece isn't bad!

Have you ever heard a Bose Wave Radio?
    She had one playing CDs the whole time I was looking around...so yes :)
  • Clipdat
    How did it sound?
    kevhed72 wrote: »

• kevhed72
    How did it sound?

Considering it was sitting on a carpeted floor not bad....I just find it amusing when people throw down with Bose when talking about music, but not everyone is a hardcore audio nerd like some of us. My wife, just bought a new car with a Bose sound system. I bit the tip of my toungue off when she was telling me about it.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    In a small enclosed space like a car, Bose isn't half bad.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Nice buy at a buck each! Not sure how well Louie Prima and the Talking Heads went with chamber music, symphonies and opera. Enjoy. :)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Nice buy at a buck each! Not sure how well Louie Prima and the Talking Heads went with chamber music, symphonies and opera. Enjoy. :)

Hey, if it ain't baroque, don't fix it. :p
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    He won't go baroque at $1.00 each. :p
  • kevhed72
    Rim shot....seriously folks, Ill be here all weekend!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited March 2018
    I think I've got Hilary Hahn's 1st cd, she's extremely talented.

inquiring minds would like to know, is she much MO Betta now? . . . Not that she was anything less than stellar
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I have that Mussorgsky CD with the funky, red rooster on the cover. :p

I have the Hilary Hahn. Good find.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    How did it sound?

Considering it was sitting on a carpeted floor not bad....I just find it amusing when people throw down with Bose when talking about music, but not everyone is a hardcore audio nerd like some of us. My wife, just bought a new car with a Bose sound system. I bit the tip of my toungue off when she was telling me about it.

Unless it has changed recently, anything "Bose" in a car is not made by or designed by Bose.

They relabel other brands and pay Bose to use their name.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I use a Bose sound link mini when I’m camping, out in the yard etc. and for the size it sounds really good, in fact I love the thing, that’s why we have 2!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• kevhed72
    edited April 2018
    My GLI has an authentic "Fender" sound system....I had no idea they made more than guitars! The trunk has a small sub built in....not bad but I think the Bose sounds better. I dunno....do car sound system matter....that much beyond a certain point?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    My GLI has an authentic "Fender" sound system....I had no idea they made more than guitars! The trunk has a small sub built in....not bad but I think the Bose sounds better. I dunno....do car sound system matter....that much beyond a certain point?

So - I'm guessing 70 -5000 Hz overall response, just like any gee-tar speaker needs.

:)

Come to think of it -- cars have had Fenders for a long, long time.

I guess these guys didn't want to pay the licensing fees...

1pa650wk2nqg.png
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    My aunt and uncle recently bought a brand new wave radio and they heard I was into audio so I got to hear all about it. They make it sound like it’s the best speaker ever. Luckily I don’t have to listen to it because they live in Minnesota :tongue: .
    They will be coming down here in a week or so and they will get to hear a real sound system.
  • Clipdat
    My buddy has the Fender audio system in his Golf R and it sounds great!

• Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    It must be something about these things that makes their owners completely enamored with them and consider it the best thing since sliced bread. My inlaws had one and they were similarly enthusiastic about it.

It did fill up a large room with relatively clean and clear sound, from something with a small unobtrusive design. It sounded like the amplifier power was well mated to the drivers. But it's just hitting the very tip of what is possible with having good sound. Maybe if you've primarily listened to cheap boom boxes or clock radios all your life it's a huge upgrade.

I think one thing worth keeping in mind is that it's at least getting people into higher quality of music reproduction who otherwise wouldn't be. Who knows maybe if they start out with a Wave Radio then in 5 years they'll be upgrading to bookshelf or tower speakers? Gotta start somewhere.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    My aunt and uncle recently bought a brand new wave radio and they heard I was into audio so I got to hear all about it. They make it sound like it’s the best speaker ever. Luckily I don’t have to listen to it because they live in Minnesota :tongue: .
    They will be coming down here in a week or so and they will get to hear a real sound system.