Wooden end caps on SDA-1Cs

Hey Guys I need some help on my SDA's The wooden end caps are basically trash and i need help or if i can pay somebody to do it for me..... like my Monitor 7s these need some help but there alot better than the speakers they have replaced. I would like to go with a complete wood look instead of the speaker grill fabric on the sides then wooden end caps if there's anybody out there that can help please let me know

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Welcome to CP! I'm in the middle of doing the same. :smile:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks verb those a some really nice sda1s you have i wish mine where the same my wooden end caps are completely rotted i got three blow drivers two midbass driver in the right channel and one blown tweeter in the left but im willing to do what ever it takes to make them look amazing again
  • verb
    Thanks verb those a some really nice sda1s you have i wish mine where the same my wooden end caps are completely rotted i got three blow drivers two midbass driver in the right channel and one blown tweeter in the left but im willing to do what ever it takes to make them look amazing again

You came to the right place! Lot's of Polkies here will help you on your journey! :smile:

Now if I can just get off my arse and finish em! Oh yeah I have another pair minty 1C's that keeps distracting me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • :smiley: Thanks i Truly love the sound of these sda's im hoping once i upgrade to the rd0-194 tweeter my monitor 7s will be the perfect partner to these sda's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Hey Guys I need some help on my SDA's The wooden end caps are basically trash and i need help or if i can pay somebody to do it for me..... like my Monitor 7s these need some help but there alot better than the speakers they have replaced. I would like to go with a complete wood look instead of the speaker grill fabric on the sides then wooden end caps if there's anybody out there that can help please let me know

Every SDA that someone has replaced the cloth sides with wood looks like crap. It simply doesn't work. What does work is to get rid of the end caps and veneer the entire cabinet, which more or less turns them into a Studio version. One guy did his 3.1TL's in cherry, looked fantastic. If that's your plan, go for it. However, you can't use the original grill, so if you want grills new ones will have to be made.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Aesthetics by definition are subjective. It all depends on the quality of execution. There are many examples here on CP and elsewhere of wood sided replacements that look great!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2018
    verb wrote: »
    Aesthetics by definition are subjective. It all depends on the quality of execution. There are many examples here on CP and elsewhere of wood sided replacements that look great!

They look like CRAP, every single one of them. The reason being are the disjointed wood surfaces. There's nothing harmonious about it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    F1nut wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

They look like CRAP, every single one of them.

You're repeating yourself! :smiley:
  • F1nut
    Yep and on this matter I'll continue to do so.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    I'm looking forward to your appraisal on my Zebrawood Side panels! :smile:
  • Thanks for your comment F1nut i guess i wont go all wood then.... if im making the grills might as well make new cloth sides i'm thinking dark cherry tops like almost a dark blood red or even a dark walnut. also how do i accomplish getting rid of that dry glue on the black vinyl without damaging the vinyl
  • F1nut
    As far as I know there is no way to completely remove the original adhesive without some damage to the vinyl. Thing is though, you don't have to remove all of it. Just scrape and/or chisel off the excess.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Look up a product called Rapid Remover, we use it for wrapping and it works really well. Not cheap, but a little goes a long way.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Look up a product called Rapid RemovHer, we use it for wrapping and it works really well. Not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

Good to know next time my wife complains about my music...TFS

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Thank you All for your help I’m really looking forward with these two projects I got going if I need any help I will let the awesome Polk forum members know I’ll also will keep you guys posted
  • 250GTLusso
    250GTLusso Posts: 163
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Look up a product called Rapid Remover, we use it for wrapping and it works really well. Not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

I have read that Rapid Remover is an adhesive remover, specifically for removing vinyl wrapping adhesives on cars and trucks, and it works without causing damage to most painted or bare metal surfaces.

But will it damage the vinyl on the speaker?
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    It will not. But then again that's graphic vinyl, as opposed to the architectural vinyl that's on the cabinet. At most, I suspect it may soften it a bit, but that's easily cleaned up. Discretionary application is advised after the bulk is flaked off.
    We are dealing with 30 year old material.
  • 250GTLusso
    250GTLusso Posts: 163
    @FestYboy , thanks for that feedback!
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).