RTI 150's

oldrocker
oldrocker Posts: 2,590
edited July 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Does anyone have a set of these or have used them in the past. I have an chance to get a set from "a lady that works with my wife" for around $100.00 +/-. Not finding many reviews and would rather get you folk's thoughts on these.
Thanks all.
Post edited by oldrocker on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2014
    They are known to be AVR killers, need an amp to wake those speakers up. If powered nice they rock :biggrin:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• oldrocker
    edited July 2014
    Thanks guys, that why I always ask here before I buy
    Appreciated...:)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited July 2014
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd give it a shot at $100. I suspect there is a reason you don't hear much about them on the forum though. Keep in mind if the tweeters are blown, they can be a major PITA to find replacements for.

Preface with "I have never heard them", but I think the main reason that there is not much on the forum is because that generation only lasted about 1.5 years. If you check around other forums those do get generally favorable reviews, and I have thought about picking some up in the past but it never worked out. But yet it definitely sounds like you need a bog boy amp for those...

Let us know if you get em..
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    edited July 2014
    Decided to pass, talk about a "hard" life, these things have been there and back. 1 tweeter out, a couple other drivers working. However all is not lost, seems its an "estate" situation with some other items gonna look at over the weekend. She didn't know what all is there, these speakers were being stored in her basement. Time will tell.
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Preface with "I have never heard them", but I think the main reason that there is not much on the forum is because that generation only lasted about 1.5 years. If you check around other forums those do get generally favorable reviews, and I have thought about picking some up in the past but it never worked out. But yet it definitely sounds like you need a bog boy amp for those...

Let us know if you get em..
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2014
    I know the Tweet's can be blown, under powered the other woofers I don't think you could kill them. The crossover could be an issue, but they could be repaired I'm sure. The tweeter could be an issue, but.... All in all a really Rock speakers would give you a very big smile.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• I know my timing isn't exactly on point, but in trying to find out which speakers I've had for the last 7 years (they're the RTi 150 as it turns out), I stumbled across this thread. If you've got the power, these things are really quite incredible. Mine are powered by a Marantz SR7011 currently, which is a step up from the Denon 3805 it replaced. I imagine with a 2-channel power amp they would open up even further. I will find out shortly. If you happen to run across a pair in good shape, snag them.