Polk S60 Sigs and a 300 wrms amp a bad idea?

Hi guys Quick bit about me. I'm a wizard with car audio. ( I have an FI SP4 18" V2 3500 wrms sub being pushed with a 5800 wrms amplifer at 1ohm in a vented box tuned to 27hz and it takes it all day. Every day..no clipping. No distortion. But those subs are meant for that type abuse.
I know I can over power car audio speakers. And how to keep my music clip free.. I know next to nothing about home theater.

I have a 4k QLED TV.
My goal.one day. Dolby atmos system.
I recently purchased a pair of Polk S60 towers for 8 bills Canadian. They arrive in a week.

(I have an old kenwood amp, like early 90s Model.number v309 maybe? its a 5.1 that states 100 watts@8ohms per channel (not sure if that's peak or continuous/rms.) I would like to hook my S60's up to this amp so I don't have to spend over a grand immediately on an Emotiva but I'm scared to use this amp in the meantime on my S60's. Not sure if it would damage them..not sure what kind of clean power and true rms old kenwood produce.

I watch alot alot of 4k movies. My HT system is going to be a stereo setup for now. And Dolby atmos later.
I listen to alot of electronic jungle/drum and bass/trap/uk grime etc... 99% of my music files are 320kbps or .flac quality files..my setup is downstairs in my basement and shares the space with my.gym. I listen to music loud

I'm about to order an Emotiva XPA2 - Gen3 to power the S60s. Emotiva states a XPA 2 pushes 300watts rms @8ohms per channel on their 2 channel amp.

Polk S60 says 20-300 watts @8ohms per speaker per channel
(Does that mean 300 peak or 300 rms)

I read this in the Polk instruction manual for the S60 and it just confused the living hell out of me.......,....,............

Polk Audio specifies the recommended amplification range for
each of its passive (non-amplified) loudspeakers. Typically that
specification will be expressed as a range of power such as
20-200 Watts (per channel). It is important to understand what
those numbers mean when choosing a receiver or amplifier for
your Polk loudspeakers. The lower number indicates the lowest
continuous rated power that will yield acceptable performance in
a typical listening environment. The higher number indicates the
highest per channel power that should be used with your Polk
speakers. That number should not be confused with a “Power
Handling” specification, and it does not imply that the speaker will
safely handle that full amount of power on a long-term basis. We
specify a wide range of power ratings because not all electronics
manufacturers use the same method for rating power. In fact, high
quality lower-rated amplifiers sound better and play louder than low
quality units with higher power rating.
Similarly, we recommend using amplifiers and receivers with rated
power above the Power Handling limits of our speakers because
having extra power available for short term peaks is conducive to
better sound quality, maximum dynamic range and effortless high
volume output. But we strongly urge you not to use the full power
of your amplifier or receiver for daily listening.
Loudspeakers can be damaged when an amplifier, regardless of
its wattage, is made to play at higher listening levels than its power
can clearly produce. Operation at this level can result in very high
levels of audible distortion originating in the amplifier, which can
add a harsh, gritty sound to your listening material. Simply put,
avoid excessive amplifier volume. If you hear distortion—turn the
volume down or risk damaging your speakers. You can damage
just about any speaker, regardless of power rating, if you drive an
amplifier to or beyond the point of distortion. And always make}
sure the amplifier is turned off when you’re connecting or
disconnecting cables.,.........................

So do these speakers Excel when hooked up to 300 watts rms with cleaner power like an Emotiva amp or am I going to damage them. Polk has left this way to vage and open for beginners. They say don't under power them but don't under power them or they'll.sound like ****.

Any and all help id appreciated.
Cheers
Mack
Home theater:
-Samsung 65" Q7F Qled - XboxOneX
-Marantz 9.2 Channel SR6011
-Tech 1200's
-Polk S60 Towers

Car Audio:
-4500 wrms cresendo mono block amp
-Fi SP4 v2 18" sub (3000 wrms)
-hertz 1000watt 4 channel
-hertz mille component speakers
-hertz spl 10" 600 wrms sub
-370amp mechman alternator
-2xs power 3300 amp batteries
-2/0 gauge ofc everything

Comments

• Local is grande prairie Alberta for me skip.
    An Emotiva xpa 2 gen 3 shipped to my door all said and done from summit hi-fi is 1300.00 Canadian. And I heard Emotiva while not as good as parasound.and blah blah blah do have awsome bang for the buck. Why I was leaning towards that.
    However I'm always open to suggestions. After spending cash on the qled and the 60s Id PREFER not to go above 1300 at this point and time SINCE it would be going on my credit card.
    Home theater:
    -Tech 1200's
    -Polk S60 Towers

Car Audio:
  • Hey I'm in the same bought you are bought 3 S60's for my L C R and soon I'll be ready to upgrade to a true power amp. So whatever you find out in your journey on this I'd appreciate your experience. Really would like an answer to this as well. Good luck to you on your journey I'll keep you posted If I find out anything as well
  • Dan these s60s hooked up.to.my.marantz. playing a 320kpbs track off a USB stick are amazing. They deliver. I have no sub and the lower end shakes the house on those s60s. And the maratnz is only 140 wpc. Really happy with my.current setup.

However for a power amp.im leaning towards a Parasound halo a21
    Or a bryston 4b st

Both have amazing reviews. And can be found used for wicked prices. And bryston has a 20 year warranty policie.

Was looking into krell and things along those lines but apparently the bryston is better in alot.of ways. And the Parasound is comparable to the bryston. Will keep you posted on my findings.
    Home theater:
    -Tech 1200's
    -Polk S60 Towers

Car Audio:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Hi Mack, your S60s will do just fine with an Emotiva XPA amp. The speakers will only take what they need, and they will have all they need with that amp since it has the capability to deliver the power when it is needed. That's the most important factor.

All of my speakers including my S60s are powered by a Sunfire 5 channel 405wpc amp and sound terrific. I can rock my system all day long at any volume I want low or high and everything is clear as a bell.

Having an amp isn't about volume, it's about having your speakers operate to their full potential.

Emotiva has thrived because they are able to let people get into a higher quality of gear without breaking the bank. Go for it and report back. :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2018
    The speakers will only take what they need

Ummmm......speakers don't take. The amp is what drives them.

Emo thrived in the beginning because they were cheap, had a large number of fanboi's who wouldn't know good sound if it hit them in the ears and had a big marketing push early on. They are not thriving now that people realized the cake wasn't as good as the frosting.
    Post edited by F1nut on
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    F1nut wrote: »
    The speakers will only take what they need

Ummmm......speakers don't take. The amp is what drives them.

Emo thrived on the beginning because they were cheap, had a large number of fanboi's who wouldn't know good sound if it hit them in the ears and had a big marketing push early on. They are not thriving now that people realized the cake wasn't as good as the frosting.

wkldjae924o1.jpg

Mmm, cake....
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Emotiva is still in business, if they weren't doing well they would have been long gone.

If you have proof they aren't doing well, please feel free to post proof.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Emotiva is still in business, if they weren't doing well they would have been long gone.

I have had good luck with my Emotiva products. I don’t think they are the best. I do however feel they are a good product.
    I do plan to get Parasound Halos when I upgrade and they will be better but at the cost I paid I have been happy.

Funny that Paul McGowan at PS Audio is using Emotiva in his personal home system.

https://youtu.be/6arn9XOjQ7Y
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Paul is using Emo amps for his HT, which is what everyone pretty much agrees is their strong suit. Music...not so much.

That works great if all you use one system for is HT, but if you want to listen to music with the same system, better choices are to be had. That's not bashing Emo amps btw, simply stating their main purpose in life. Doesn't mean you can't use them for music, but if a clear and airy top end, with no fatigue interests you, then Emo amps shouldn't....especially when paired with bright speakers like RTI's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    tonyb wrote: »
    Paul is using Emo amps for his HT, which is what everyone pretty much agrees is their strong suit. Music...not so much.

That works great if all you use one system for is HT, but if you want to listen to music with the same system, better choices are to be had. That's not bashing Emo amps btw, simply stating their main purpose in life. Doesn't mean you can't use them for music, but if a clear and airy top end, with no fatigue interests you, then Emo amps shouldn't....especially when paired with bright speakers like RTI's.

Makes sense.
    I use my Emotivas for HT 90% of the time.
    For music I normally run the LSI/Adcom setup in the MB.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • MackMurder wrote: »
    Dan these s60s hooked up.to.my.marantz. playing a 320kpbs track off a USB stick are amazing. They deliver. I have no sub and the lower end shakes the house on those s60s. And the maratnz is only 140 wpc. Really happy with my.current setup.

However for a power amp.im leaning towards a Parasound halo a21
    Or a bryston 4b st

Both have amazing reviews. And can be found used for wicked prices. And bryston has a 20 year warranty policie.

Was looking into krell and things along those lines but apparently the bryston is better in alot.of ways. And the Parasound is comparable to the bryston. Will keep you posted on my findings.

Yeah those speakers are amazing aren't they? I can with the subs turned off hit the low end with mine hard enough to set off the glass sensor alarms in my house alarm! Lol. Yeah for sure keep me posted love to hear what you find out and I'll do the same for you on my end as well.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    cfrizz wrote: »

Strange logic. You do realize a company can stay in business although they aren't raking it in like they once were, don't you?

Lack of advertising, sure sign the money is tight.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk