Advice on home theater speaker setup

Options
mdmsaab
mdmsaab Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in Speakers
Hi there -- We're creating a small home theater in a room that's about 14x11. I'm considering a 7.1 setup and was hoping to get some advice about my speaker choices before I make my purchases. Here's what I'm considering:

* Receiver: Denon 2300W -- sorry, I already have this but everything else will be Polk :)

* Center channel speaker: Polk Audio Signature S35 American HiFi Home Theater Slim Center Speaker

* Front speakers: Polk Audio OWM5 Multi-Purpose Home Theater Speaker (mounted at ceiling height in the front corners of the room)

* Center surround speakers: Polk Audio RC60i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (in-ceiling, about halfway back in the room)

* Rear surround speakers: Polk Audio RC65i 2-Way In-Wall Speakers (in-wall on the right and left walls, even with the seating area at the back of the room, probably about 4 1/2 feet off the ground though they could be higher or lower)

* Sub-woofer: Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (on floor in front of room)

Advice or feedback on any aspect of this setup would be greatly appreciated. My only previous experience with surround sound is with an entry level 4.1 home-theater-in-a-box system from Sony. Although I have certainly done some research to get to this point, I am still new to this so there is no advice that is too basic or obvious for me. That said, I am particularly clueless about things like timbre matching and the like.

Overall, I don't need this to be the fanciest home theater in the world, but I do want this to feel like a proper home theater experience. I'm hoping that the speaker system will be the stalwart of the system, so that it will serve me well even if I should feel compelled to upgrade screens and/or projectors in the future. I picked out these components with that objective in mind, hoping that they would get me the most bang for the buck.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• mdmsaab
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks DSkip. Unfortunately the whole front left side of the room is a double-wide doorway, so there isn't a way to put a floor speaker on that side. Thus, the only way to have the two front speakers balanced is to have them high. I can mount them such that they are angled downward toward the viewing area. Would that solve the "wackiness"?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    If your willing to buy used, I would suggest getting The older Polk LSi series, but your gonna need a separate amplifier as they are very hard to drive, so these are not a very budget option.
    I agree with Dskip that you should get floorstanding speakers, and see about getting speakers from the same line (for example, signature s60, s15, etc.)
    You could also find the newer LSiM series, which is much easier to drive, but your not gonna find them for cheap either.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Agree with Skip. One other thought might be going with S15s or S20s in the front to go with your center. Then the front soundstage is well matched.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    y'all can't read :p:o
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I had in-ceiling fronts for over a year (now used as atmos heights) with a beefy center channel and 2 good subs. Honestly, for home theater is was pretty awesome. Once in a while things panning across the front stage sounded a bit wacky as @DSkip says, but most of the time I didn't notice.

That setup taught me that it really is true that in a surround setup the two most important speakers are your center and your sub. Having said that, I would personally look for a used CS400i or a CSi5 or CSi A6. A big, beefy center will make all the difference. And if you can, I would look outside polk for a sub. SVS and HSU make pretty much the best bang for your buck subwoofers, although you would have to up to budget a bit. I have owned a LOT of subs, and I would personally go subless for a while if that's what it takes to save and up increase the budget a bit. But if you really are tight, the PSW505 is a solid choice for the $$$.

Finally, I would just go with in-ceiling speakers for fronts. You can angle the tweeters. I have not been impressed with the ones you are looking at.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Any chance of spinning the room 180°?
  • mdmsaab
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Some responses below:
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Any chance of spinning the room 180°?

@FestYboy No, I'm afraid the room orientation won't work that way.

rooftop59 wrote: »
    But if you really are tight, the PSW505 is a solid choice for the $$$.

@rooftop59 Ok thanks for the suggestion. I do think that a sub is about the easiest thing to upgrade in the future, so I will probably hold off on that upgrade and stick with the PSW505 for now.

Finally, I would just go with in-ceiling speakers for fronts. You can angle the tweeters. I have not been impressed with the ones you are looking at.

@rooftop59 This is interesting and not something I had considered. We had the room wired for wall-mounted in the front because I thought it would be most important for the front speakers to point out toward the viewer and due to the aforementioned doorway in the front of the room there was no way to do in-wall for the front speakers. I also thought that wall-mounted would give me options with more power in those front speakers. Bottom line is at this point, I'm afraid it would require some messy drywall and painting work to change that, so I think the in-ceiling option is out.

In terms of the OWM5's, have you tried them before or are you just looking at the specs? Can you be more specific about what hasn't impressed you about them?

Jaybeez wrote: »
    Agree with Skip. One other thought might be going with S15s or S20s in the front to go with your center. Then the front soundstage is well matched.

@Jaybeez This is an interesting idea as a replacement for the OWM5's. The cost of a pair of S20's is basically the same as the OWM5's. The downside is that they are way bigger and also only come in black or walnut. For the upper-corner-mounting I have in mind, this means they will stand out / stick out a lot more than the OWM5's (they are about 15" deep vs 4" deep for the OWM5's).

Given this trade-off, is there any way to describe to a newbie like me what would be gained from a sound perspective with the S20 vs the OWM5?

mlistens03 wrote: »
    You could also find the newer LSiM series, which is much easier to drive, but your not gonna find them for cheap either.

@mlistens03 Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that series is outside my budget.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Don't forget the center channel! Check out this thread: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/181107/csi-a6-with-s60#latest

I have actually only heard to OWM3s. They were very thin sounding, no bass, and hollow mids. Would probably work for surrounds or atmos/heights, but I couldn't use them as my mains.

I second the suggestion to go with bookies up front, even if they are high. I love polk speakers, but none of us here have an exclusive relationship with polk. For some, its an open relationship, for others, its like your first love that you look back on fondly lol. The point is, there are other options. Polk's sister company - definitive technology - makes the promonitor and procenter speakers. A pair of either 800 s or 1000s in white would absolutely crush those OWM5s, and can definitely hold their own with the signature series. There are some NOS, but most are used at this point:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFINITIVE-TECHNOLOGY-ProMonitor-800-WHITE-PAIR-Surround-Speakers/400841586138?epid=69640557&hash=item5d540535da:g:EDAAAOSwaeRZHx4m

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFINITIVE-TECHNOLOGY-ProMonitor-800-WHITE-PAIR-Surround-Speakers/400841586138?epid=69640557&hash=item5d540535da:g:EDAAAOSwaeRZHx4m
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mdmsaab
    Options
    @rooftop59 Wow, this is super helpful -- thank you! I had no idea that Definitive and Polk were the same company. Ditto for Denon.
    A pair of either 800 s or 1000s in white would absolutely crush those OWM5s, and can definitely hold their own with the signature series.

I'm surprised to hear you say that the 800's would be so much better than the OWM5's -- yet you sound so confident it's hard not to be persuaded by your POV on that. :) The Definitive options are indeed way more compact and also much easier to mount than the S20's. They're even better than the OWM5's in that respect. And they're in roughly the same cost ballpark, so I'd be totally inclined to go with them.
    Don't forget the center channel!

In terms of center channel, I had been thinking about the Polk Signature S35. But now I'm wondering if I need to be thinking about a Definitive 1000/2000 to match the front speakers.

Bottom line, here's where this leaves me in terms of questions:

1) Front: 800's vs 1000's -- It's only ~$100 difference in total price so I could do either. However, since you recommended both, I'd be inclined to go with the 800's, both since they're cheaper and smaller. But please tell me if you think there's enough difference in the sound that I'd regret that in my size space.

2) Center: Here are my assumptions:

a) if I go with Definitive fronts, better to pair them with a Definitive center than a Polk center
    b) I wouldn't be losing anything to go with the 1000/2000 over the S35
    c) the choice of 800 vs 1000 for fronts should not affect the choice of 1000 vs 2000 for center

Would you agree with those assumptions (they could all be wrong for all I know)? If so, all things being equal, I've been told that the center channel is most important, so I would be inclined to spend more for the 2000 in the center even if I went with the 800's in the front.

3) Is there anything that would conflict sound-wise between a Definitive front soundstage as described above and the other components I listed in my original post (RC60i center surround, RC65i rear surround, PSW505 sub)?

Thank you again!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Hello and welcome to club Polk,

What would be really helpful is a picture of the room where you are putting in the HT.

I had in-ceiling for my front stage for a bit... nope didn't like them. Now they are used for front height.

For your front soundstage best to have them matching as best you can. The Deftech's are a good speaker and will serve you well if you go with them.

As for the RC speakers, they are for affects and will be good. I'd look at Polk SC/MC line. I did replace RC80i I had for rears with MC80 and yes it is a nice improvement.

Sub, The PSW505 is a great bang for the buck sub. Any HSU or SVS is night and day better.

Polk Signature S15 and S10 have keyhole wall mounts built in. If you can wall mount they would be a great option. Without a room layout it hard to tell.

I do have one warning. We love spending others money on the forum :)

Cheers
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    mdmsaab wrote: »
    @rooftop59 Wow, this is super helpful -- thank you! I had no idea that Definitive and Polk were the same company. Ditto for Denon.

I'm surprised to hear you say that the 800's would be so much better than the OWM5's -- yet you sound so confident it's hard not to be persuaded by your POV on that. :) The Definitive options are indeed way more compact and also much easier to mount than the S20's.
    Make no mistake, the DTs and Polk Signatures are very different animals. How big is your room? I've been a big proponent of satellite HT systems like the DT 800/1000 in small to mid-sized rooms. In a bigger room, larger speakers catch up quickly. Honestly, the OWM speakers are fine for ambient sound, but no one will ever recommend them for main (front) speakers.
    Welcome to CP!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    . How big is your room?
    Hi there -- We're creating a small home theater in a room that's about 14x11

• mdaudioguy
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    . How big is your room?
    Hi there -- We're creating a small home theater in a room that's about 14x11
    Reading.... Yeah, satellites can thrive in a room that size. About the same as mine with the DT ProMonitors.
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    y'all can't read :p:o
    :blush:
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I think 800s with a 2000 center would be for fine, 1000s and 2000 if you can swing it!

And yes, just to be clear, def tech and polk are separate companies with separate r&d and engineers and House sounds. Same owners, some overlap in marketing and customer service.

I see no problem in the mixing of mains and surrounds, but after all look at my sig!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’ll add another option (and I’ll have to confirm the model). I picked up a little Martin Logan 5.1 sub/satellite system on the local CL about 5-6 years ago for (IIRC) under $100. I installed them in our 16’x16’ master bedroom with cathedral ceiling. I initially had a cheap (Best Buy model) Pioneer receiver, but upgraded to a Pioneer Elite. I have to say that the little ML sub/sat system sounds absolutely fantastic - even in that large space. We have a much more substantial home theater (with a LOT more invested in it) that is very nice. I never expected that bedroom surround setup to come as close to the main HT as it does. So, don’t rule out a good sub/sat setup!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    The HTiB sets are not bad for just movies and TV. It's when music is played that's where they lack. Best Buy has a Definitive 5.1 set that they put on sale every month for $599. It is actually very good on movies. Now does it compare to a real HT setup, NO.

I know the M/L setup, not a bad system, NewEgg had them a few years ago for $199. A couple of coworkers got them, couldn't be beat for the money.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Yep - agree with the music shortfalls of the sub/sat systems!

The model I have is the Martin Logan MLT-2. I found an old MSRP of $1,199.95 on it, but think it more realistically sold normally in the $500 - $600 range. It makes sense that they might have come down to $200 - $300 eventually, and now show up used for under $200.

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/mlt2

I paid $75 for it around 5 years ago, and am still blown away at how impressive it is for its size and what I paid! I'd have to spend 5-10 times that much to better this little setup.

Again, in the HT, I'm running LSi7's, LSi-M704c, LSi/FX, 700-LS, dual 18" DIY subs with a Marantz 7702, B&K Reference 200.7, and Crown XLS-2500. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot more enveloping than the bedroom surround. But, it was also an investment of approximately 50 times what I have spent on the bedroom surround!