702F/X placement ideas

Options
Hi Everyone,

In the literature Polk includes with the 702F/X they suggest to put the speaker slightly behind listening position if you are using them as the surround speakers in a 7.1 channel system. I plan on using a pair of 702F/X for the surround and 703's for the rears. Has anyone setup a system using 702F/X's? Did you follow Polk's advise or put them slightly in front of the listening position aimed towards the listener? Patiently waiting for my 707's to come, they are backordered from Adorama and I've heard horrors of a May shipping date. :(

I sadly have a door in the way where I'd prefer to place my 703's and I'm trying to figure out the best placement by the rear wall. Might try moving them around a bit and see if I can hear a difference.

Would you guys also use the 702F/X as the surround speakers to the side of the listening position and 703's behind?

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    You can place them directly on the sides of listening position bipole

703's rear
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • whostorm05
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

703's rear

The 702F/X isn't actually a bipole speaker though, correct? The midrange and tweeter face only one direction on each speaker. The woofer on each speaker points straight out, but the other midrange/tweeter is angled. I'm assuming that means they should either be slightly in front or behind the listening position with the midrange/tweeter side facing the listening position.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    whostorm05 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

703's rear

The 702F/X isn't actually a bipole speaker though, correct? The midrange and tweeter face only one direction on each speaker. The woofer on each speaker points straight out, but the other midrange/tweeter is angled. I'm assuming that means they should either be slightly in front or behind the listening position with the midrange/tweeter side facing the listening position.

You are correct, installed many LSiFX's which were selectable bi-dipole speakers

I'd still put the 702' as side surrounds vs rear in a 7.1 system, and yes set them up as close as recommended by Polk
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Yes, the older F/X series were Dipole capable. It was fine to put them directly to the side becuase of the null in the center of the speakers output. Even if you put your 703's at the rear for a 7.1 system, you still want to put the 702's about 20 degrees to the back side of the listening position as shown in the manual.

I've always wanted to setup a 7.1/ 7.2 system but never really have the correct space for it. I'm considering ceiling speakers or maybe ATMOS at some point. Or, I might check out a set of the Axiom QS4 surround speakers in the rear to replace my current hybrid (monopole 3KHz below/Dipole 3 KHz above) Artison Portrait LRS speakers. The Axiom's have a Quadpolar config (woofers firing up and down, tweeters left and right) that might make a good choice for those with limit surround placement ability. They are supposed to be much more forgiving in regards to placement and produce a great effect.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2