For anyone who might be interested: Nelson Pass-designed ACA amplifier kit "back in stock" :)

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
Some of you ("us") have an interest in low power, high performance amplification. Designer-guru extraordinaire Nelson Pass has been an enabler for those willing to turn to the soiled solid state in pursuit of fleapower Nirvana.

Some years back, Pass helped design and develop a simple Class A stereo solid state amplifier on a PC board. The design was turned into a kit designed to teach folks to build and appreciate such an amplifier at "Amp camps" -- thus, the Amp Camp Amplifier (ACA) came to be!

The ACA kit is commercially available but has been out of stock for a while. Overnight I received an e-mail announcing that an updated version of the kit was now back in stock!

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?utm_source=ACA+Back+in+Stock+Notification+List&utm_campaign=0411d3ac9e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_26&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_72286d7b2a-0411d3ac9e-261238033&mc_cid=0411d3ac9e&mc_eid=93022bf314

569sjl9zt7l7.png

Just thought it worthy of mention.

Rock on with your respective bad things :)

* Disclosure: thanks to the mad skilz of this forum's ALL212 and the generous beneficence of another Forum member (who will remain anonymous unless he cares to reveal himself), a fancier morph of the original incarnation of this amp is 'in residence' at the Hardy household in the wilds of northern NH. This is a very cool little amplifier for those who can work with ca. 5 watts per channel.

Comments

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Thanks @mhardy6647! Placed an order.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks! Ever since I retired I’ve been itching to build or modify something. I have some Dynaco kits under my belt, but that was a very long time ago. Nelson Pass spoke to an audio club I belonged to in Portland and I always wanted one of his designs.
  • mhardy6647
    Nelson is a clever fellow who knows good sound and is skillful enough to get to it. Best of all, he shares his talent, skill and enthusiasm with the DIY community -- and doesn't look down his nose at those who cannot afford the top-dollar hardware.

Can't say enough good things about the guy based on what I know of him.

I mean, anyone responsible for the El Pipe-O subwoofers is my kinda guy.

qq5zlc8y1ud6.png

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_elpipeo.pdf
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Interesting:

"Power per channel 5 Watts per channel (That's 92 decibels coming out of your speakers, assuming you're listening from 10 feet away with 91db efficiency speakers. More than 2 hours at this volume level exceeds occupational safety limits, is more than adequate to annoy your neighbors, and certainly enough to enjoy your music at normal listening levels)"
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    The daily driver at my house is 3.5 wpc, you know?
    The loudspeakers are on the order of 102 dB SPL sensitivity at 1 meter for 1 watt input power.

There are different pathways to Nirvana.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There are different pathways to Nirvana.
    You should have ended this comment with: "Boot to the head." :p
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Currently sold out! Snooze you lose.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    And I was going to order one too. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    already?!

maybe the website itself hasn't been updated(?!?)

maybe...
  • Clipdat
    Earlier it was accepting orders, now it's listed as sold out.
    already?!

maybe the website itself hasn't been updated(?!?)

maybe...

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    All sold out again!

Dammit, I wanted to build this.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    dang! sorry, folks :(
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Not your fault.....they sold out fast! I put my email out there for the next batch. Very cool kit and chassis.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Interesting:

"Power per channel 5 Watts per channel (That's 92 decibels coming out of your speakers, assuming you're listening from 10 feet away with 91db efficiency speakers. More than 2 hours at this volume level exceeds occupational safety limits, is more than adequate to annoy your neighbors, and certainly enough to enjoy your music at normal listening levels)"

Screw 'em, they shouldn't have moved in next to me! :)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    These would have been great with my Full range Speakers that are 94 dbl.

My Omega Super 7 Monitor MK2's
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Scat....I would have ordered immediately because I can't find time to drive North... :|
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Scat....I would have ordered immediately because I can't find time to drive North... :|

I've noticed that -- I may have to avail myself of the United States Postal Service. I gots mad packing skilz...
  • mrbiron
    I know I know...
    I'm a tease with the likes of "yeah, let's set something up for this fall" or "put a date on a calendar and I'll make it work"...

Is retirement at 33 an option?
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    Depends on whether spending one's golden years livin' in a cardboard box under the freeway is an appealing lifestyle choice. I'm speculating here. I mean, I reckon it's a realistic choice for, say, that Zuckerberg guy. In fact, perhaps he's considering retirement these days...

pw2pf93a90bg.png

• mrbiron
    Sounds fun. Now I just have to find a bridge worth dwelling under.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    @mhardy6647 are these a SE design?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
  • verb
    Aw man! I snoozed and I loozed! :smiley: gonna get on the notification list now!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Sorry bro, I would've ordered one for you had I known you wanted one. I was going to order one but I don't own a soldering iron, and also my testicular fortitude is low.

I didn't have the balls to attempt it. :(
    verb wrote: »
    Aw man! I snoozed and I loozed! :smiley: gonna get on the notification list now!

• verb
    Thanks man. I hear ya. :smile: I’m intrigued by the SE or SET amp discussion. Nice way to dip the toes in. Soldering is not that bad BTW. Pretty easy in fact once you get some practice.
  • mhardy6647
    no triodes in an Amp Camp Amp :)
    Three "elements" in a transistor, but it just ain't quite the same thing ;)

If you want to dip your metaphorical toes into the SET water, here're a couple of nice options. L'il pricier, though.

https://bottlehead.com/product/single-ended-experimenters-kit-3-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers/

wawdp4tllo2k.png
    (Compactrons, baby!)

https://bottlehead.com/product/stereomour-ii-stereo-single-ended-integrated-2a3-amp/

1elbqyyufvl9.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    PS Yeah, soldering is not difficult at all. Just wear pants when you're soldering -- that stuff gets hot. ;)

A PC board based kit like the ACA is particularly easy; point to point requires a little more manual and mechanical dexterity. :#

There are some PC board based SET amp kits, but they're more like semi-kits* (i.e., not all components supplied), so they require a little bit more of the buyer/builder.

Here's an example, FWIW (and since we're -- sort of -- on this subject!).

http://store.triodestore.com/diytubegetsetgo.html
    http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2012/03/diytube-getsetgo-single-ended-amplifier.html

This is sort of a hybrid between PC board and point to point construction. The 6B4 output tubes used by this amp are a "modern" variant of the classic, venerable 2A3 direct heated triode. The 6B4 differes from the 2A3 "only" in its base configuration (octal vs. 4 pin) and requiring a "modern" 6.3 volt filament voltage (vs. the 2.5 volt filament of the 2A3). It's still a gen-u-ine direct-heated filament triode, though.

:)

Current (or at least recent) production Russian 6B4s are still available, too -- though not necessarily very inexpensive. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/6b4g-sovtek

7n1u9ek4s0db.png
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Wish I had the editing software to make an instructional video for the forum. The key is tinning the pieces to be soldered and heat control, especially when working with PCBs.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Wish I had the editing software to make an instructional video for the forum. The key is tinning the pieces to be soldered and heat control, especially when working with PCBs.
    I wish you did too :)

... and to use very good quality solder and a good soldering iron.

The soldering instructions that will be found in the instruction manuals for old Heathkit or EICO kits are good. Yeah, a video would be better, but they are good.

The trick, I'd opine, is to work (fairly) hot and fast (as fast as possible, that is) for best results, and to hold the joint nice and steady when/while the solder cools. OK I guess that's two tricks. One of the pitfalls IME is to accidentally jiggle the joint when it's still hot; this causes nasty 'cold solder' crystals (or whatever) to form.

I do agree that temp controlled is the way to go for any serious work.

Some components (particularly transistors, diodes and ICs) will benefit from heat sinking while soldering, too.

10037867374_7b31b94e7f_o.jpgheathkit howtosolder by Mark Hardy, on Flickr10037867354_b039a5e6dc_z.jpgeico solder joints by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Like anything else, the best way to learn to do it is to find a mentor and learn at his or her feet (so to speak). Failing that, trial and error (sometimes referred to as trial and success) is also a valid approach. Remember, anything that does not kill one makes one stronger. :)

EDIT:
    PS Soldering irons aren't the best for certain applications (e.g., soldering down multisection "can" caps, soldering ground busses, and - to some extent - for cable construction, too). At times like that, it is still (IMO) hard to beat the good old time soldering gun.

• verb
    no triodes in an Amp Camp Amp :)
    Three "elements" in a transistor, but it just ain't quite the same thing ;)

If you want to dip your metaphorical toes into the SET water, here're a couple of nice options. L'il pricier, though.

https://bottlehead.com/product/single-ended-experimenters-kit-3-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers/

wawdp4tllo2k.png
    (Compactrons, baby!)

https://bottlehead.com/product/stereomour-ii-stereo-single-ended-integrated-2a3-amp/

1elbqyyufvl9.png

Yep. I was intrigued by that amp mentioned by you on another thread. And equally touched by your story as to how the kids put it together. Good memories! I'm sure every time you play it you reminisce. Very heartwarming! :smile: