Gat damned room needs work!

Got the old Ushers in the vacation house and they sound like sheet!

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You should have broken the room in with the hello kitty boom box.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    rpf65 wrote: »
    You should have broken the room in with the hello kitty boom box.

That's just for looking at
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited March 2018
    Place this in the listening position and crawl around the floor to optimize the sound. Clap into the mic and listen for echos so you know where to hang some towels.
    2ro4rooij5ao.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Got the old Ushers in the vacation house and they sound like sheet!

I call BS. I've never heard a pair of Ushers that didn't sound good :p:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited March 2018
    You don't have sumtin' right

Let me elaborate
    Is there vaulted ceilings?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    What are the room dimensions? Any treatment at all (rugs, drapes)? There is only so much speakers can do if the environment sucks.
  • afterburnt
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You don't have sumtin' right

Let me elaborate
    Is there vaulted ceilings?

The ceiling is 8' at the speaker end, drapes over the wall/windows behind them and close to 20' at the other. Area rug on wood floors and a couple of couches and a coffee table in the room nothing else.
  • Jaybeez
    So 20 feet height at the non-speaker end? What are the length and width?
  • rpf65
    8 foot to 20 foot ceilings. Iron Maiden never sounds good in a church.
  • afterburnt
    19.5 L X 13.5 W
  • Jaybeez
    What are you hearing that you don't like? The dimensions aren't really that bad in terms of length and width, but the vaulted ceiling may likely be your challenge. Depending on how far back your listening position is, you may be losing some of the highs to the higher ceiling behind you (assuming here) and/or getting a bit of echo in those frequencies.
    To the point above, the overall sound may be "cavernous" like an old Church with high ceilings.
    You may want to grab an old blanket and attach it to the ceiling just behind the listening position. If it solves some of your issues, you could upgrade to "clouds" which are just acoustic panels secured to the ceiling.
    Might not hurt to put a few panels on the wall at the back of the room and first point of reflection either. Cubic footage is pretty substantial with that room, so taming it all with a few panels may well do the trick.
  • afterburnt
    Hell I don't want to do any expensive treatments until I move and get the real system in place. That old blanket suggestion may have to do!
  • Jaybeez
    If you don't mind the look, it can be effective.
    My 2 channel room is well treated with panels, but I add moving blankets when recording voice over / vocals for further control.
    Moving blankets are ugly, but perhaps a cheap duvet cover with a moving blanket inside might be the ticket. Just an idea ....
  • afterburnt
    Will my Ushers got sick if I hook em up to an Emo?
  • rpf65
    Beat the emo with a bat.

Just simply wrong to work so hard at making good speakers sound bad.
  • txcoastal1
    Emo wrong for Ushers
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    All you need is 100watt A/B for the Ushers. I used my XA30.5 with them.

• afterburnt
    I got to buy another amp! I hate you guys so very very much. :#
  • txcoastal1
    If you have an EMO and like it then use it, but don't buy it to use it...capisce

• afterburnt
    I don't know if I like it. I don't remember the last time it was hooked up to what.
  • afterburnt
    Not sure if I like this Emo. I did like running these speakers on a Marantz NR but I thought I would fry it.
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2018
    My cute little Ushers hate this amp, I think I insulted them. Maybe I shouldn't be listening to Chaka Khan she's kindda bright???
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    So Far my Ushers seem to really like my Vincent Gear or at least that is what my Aircraft hearing thinks ;) Marvin wants me to sell them and get some Ayre amps :) but I think I'm happy for now. ( Marvin is the worlds biggest Enabler)

Someday who knows what i will use but until then ....
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    voltz wrote: »
    So Far my Ushers seem to really like my Vincent Gear or at least that is what my Aircraft hearing thinks ;) Marvin wants me to sell them and get some Ayre amps :) but I think I'm happy for now. ( Marvin is the worlds biggest Enabler)

Someday who knows what i will use but until then ....

amp not amps :D
    and don't you mean dskip the enabler >:)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited March 2018
    listen to you LOL you are more a enabler then him, just because he showed you something special doesn't make him a enabler. but you wouldn't hesitate to push me off a cliff ( or down a Rabbit's hole) :p

If you didnt have such good ears I wouldn't listen to you so much B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    @marvda1 you make me feel like a schnook
  • afterburnt
    Bad clams! This will not do, I shant abide by this travesty! This Emo is from here on relegated to surround duty. The Parasound 2250? Is called to the front!
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2018
    Moving up Emo wernt bad moving down yikes!
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2018
    Crimney this is horrible! Will I blow up my Marantz NR? I can't take it!!!