50 watt amp with 5% distortion.........only $149,000. Interested?

13»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2018
    FestYboy wrote: »
    The crystal ball is looking less hazy...

Wiki is helping. Seems like you're referencing a SET with a parafeed output transformer stage?

actually I skipped the parafeed. Parafeed (parallel feed) is a clever way to reduce the demands on the output transformer by shunting the DC plate voltage through a capacitor. Capacitors block DC. This allows a much more modest output transformer to be used.

Doc Bottlehead (Dan Schmalle) offered an inexpensive but remarkably good sounding SE 2A3 amp with a parafeed output configuration. Sold as monoblocks, the kits were called the Paramours :) The original price for the kits (with tubes) was $500 for the pair. One of the great hifi kit deals evah, IMO. The parafeed design allowed the good "Doctor" (probably, more to the point, designer Paul Joppa) to use a two-dollar (!) 70 volt line-matching transformer, turned around backwards, as the output transformer! :)

The current incarnation of that design, on one chassis, improved in several ways, is called Stereomour and is rather more expensive... but close to two decades have passed by in the meantime.

My beloved wife bought one of the very first kits sold after the initial, small beta test run of kits. She presented the kit to me as either a Christmas or birthday present (I've forgotten which) and I had the ineffable pleasure of building the amps as a project with both of my kids. They did almost all of the work.

Still have those Paramours -- actually, I am listening to them as I type this, interestingly enough.

35012452392_ae479f19ec_h.jpgDSC_8376 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

actually I skipped the parafeed. Parafeed (parallel feed) is a clever way to reduce the demands on the output transformer by shunting the DC plate voltage through a capacitor. Capacitors block DC. This allows a much more modest output transformer to be used.

Doc Bottlehead (Dan Schmalle) offered an inexpensive but remarkably good sounding SE 2A3 amp with a parafeed output configuration. Sold as monoblocks, the kits were called the Paramours :) The original price for the kits (with tubes) was $500 for the pair. One of the great hifi kit deals evah, IMO. The parafeed design allowed the good "Doctor" (probably, more to the point, designer Paul Joppa) to use a two-dollar (!) 70 volt line-matching transformer, turned around backwards, as the output transformer! :)

The current incarnation of that design, on one chassis, improved in several ways, is called Stereomour and is rather more expensive... but close to two decades have passed by in the meantime.

My beloved wife bought one of the very first kits sold after the initial, small beta test run of kits. She presented the kit to me as either a Christmas or birthday present (I've forgotten which) and I had the ineffable pleasure of building the amps as a project with both of my kids. They did almost all of the work.

Still have those Paramours -- actually, I am listening to them as I type this, interestingly enough.

Hi Doc @mhardy6647 Interesting class so far. Really appreciate it! BTW what speakers are you running with those Paramours? Do you generally run higher efficiency speakers with them?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    ... at 3.5 watts per channel -- yes, high sensitivity loudspeakers represent a "best practice" ;)

Currently listening to the FrankenAltecs with the Paramours. I have the "Simple 2A3" amp off-line because I've been meaning for the last week and a half to install some chi-chi cathode resistor bypass capacitors to take the place of the cheap, generic electrolytics that are in it now! :p

24051079897_d03eddae1b_h.jpgDSC_9984 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Oh yeah Doc, I had that duh moment early on in my info hunt: "the tube has to run at half on all the time" was the quote that flipped the switch for me. It all started clicking after that.
  • mhardy6647
    gonna start a separate SET/tube info thread... hold my beer

:)
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited March 2018
    OP, You got to visit Wavac site sometimes!

Joey, coming from you, I can't believe what you said. It's Anti-HiFi, man! It's a SIN against Boulder, EMM, and God knows what else.

I accept donations now! Contact me to get rid of your sins!

Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Youse guys and your flea powered amps. I will stick with my 1200 W/ch amps. Enjoy. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Youse guys and your flea powered amps. I will stick with my 1200 W/ch amps. Enjoy. :)

z'ok. You don't know what you're missing -- and it's probably for the best.
    Danged Altec hardware's 'spensive enough as it is.

;)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Wasn't there a discussion about a Carver (?) Tube amp that was rated for something like 500w/ch? I seem to recall that it was rather expensive as well...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Wasn't there a discussion about a Carver (?) Tube amp that was rated for something like 500w/ch? I seem to recall that it was rather expensive as well...

Carver silver 9's and Carver Silver 7's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • megasat16
    Nope! Not heard of the Wavac monsters yet! But I have 833 bug biting my back. So, hell of quad chassis monos in the work. Weight over 200lb each mono (2 chassis).

Power output roughly 100 Watts from 833 SET.

Oh yeah Bud, 1W to 1000W and everything in between! All depends on the speakers you are cranking with.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    And megastat leads with skid marks

Glad you're still alive ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • megasat16
    Thanks Tx! I am still pretty much alive and the wife is pretty much kicking my back! :wink:
  • megasat16
    edited March 2018
    DSkip wrote: »

Give me a call sometime. I'd love to chat and get your input on some things. My phone number is on the website in my sig.

Will do!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Reported for douchebaggery.
    msg wrote: »
    ...but does it hum. That is the question.

And I’ve just reported you for being captain baby sensitive pants!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    :eyeroll:

Scott is my buddy and I was messing with him. Relax, you'll live longer.
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Clipdat wrote: »
    :eyeroll:

Scott is my buddy and I was messing with him. Relax, you'll live longer.
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Lol I was also joking around. You sir are the one that needs to relax.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Watts mean absolutely NOTHING when it comes to audio. I have heard 8 watt systems that satisfy the most discerning audiophile and 3.2K watt systems you could not pay me to listen too....and just about everything in-between. I know you were just ribbing but a properly designed and matched system means much more to a system than watts. Watts are but just one aspect of a complex equation.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Watts mean absolutely NOTHING when it comes to audio. I have heard 8 watt systems that satisfy the most discerning audiophile and 3.2K watt systems you could not pay me to listen too....and just about everything in-between. I know you were just ribbing but a properly designed and matched system means much more to a system than watts. Watts are but just one aspect of a complex equation.

Tom

Shut up ya frikken know-it-all!
  • treitz3
    I don't believe when you raised your hand to speak that you were given permission too, Russ. Put the dunce hat on and go sit in the corner for 5 minutes ya' putz.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What's your address, Tom?.......
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I think Bud was being facetious, Tom
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • treitz3
    lightman1 wrote: »
    What's your address, Tom?.......
    No way man...I value my bushes. In no way or manner am I going to give you ammunition to pee on them. I can, however, give you Joey_V's address.

You game? (Sorry Joey)

Tom

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    The heck...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • treitz3
    Hehe...

Tom