DAC Shoot off!

voltz
voltz Posts: 5,384
edited March 2018 in Going Digital
I will be at LSAF and i hope other will bring there stuff up to it to have a DAC shoot off.

I offer my Room which will have Usher Mini X's speakers with Acoustic Zen Satori cables and I hope Joey will put his gear where his mouth is and show up to give us other DAC's to compare??? Come on Joey! how about it???

I have a Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC to show off :p prove to me yours is better? I double Dare Ya!!

And this goes out to all you DAC Heads on the Forum ;) Kerri? I know without a doubt that Skip is up for it ;)

Let us make this happen or your just talking.......
2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited March 2018
    i'm game, i'll have to make up for your superior dac chip with a secret tube compliment in my mp-d2 mkI.

give us an overview of your new dac.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I'll be interested in the results, especially if you all have separate categories for price ranges. ($500 for me) :)
  • voltz
    Me, I want to my DAC compare to the NorthStar DACS I have like so much during my Visits as @GlennDog has as grown to love!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• voltz
    marvda1 wrote: »
    i'm game, i'll have to make up for your superior dac chip with a secret tube compliment in my mp-d2 mkI.

give us an overview of your new dac.

you never fail to impress me Marvin ;)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    No DSD but I have a quteEX
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    edited March 2018
    I heard some seriously good stuff from those Chord's ;)

especially when connected to some good speakers!

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I would send my North Star Supremo but I don't have it yet :#
  • voltz
    Skip can cover most options and situations! He at his best when the going gets tough!

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    DSkip wrote: »
    I think most dacs will be around $1000 and up if it happens.

That's what I figured... Just trying to influence if I could!
  • voltz
    Hey MD

I will have my Auralic mini there as a transport but and I can hook up RCA cables to it and attach them to persay source number ? and then it is a simple matter to switched between the Auralic DAC and the external USB DAC's attached to my mini :)

and it cost $500 new and can use a internal SSD drive like i use it for with a 1TB SSD drive with all my music on it and it plays nicely with my MP-MPD2 DAC with only a slight degrade in SQ! it is worth owning in my book...it been the weakest link in my system by the smallest amount in my opinion. but my DAC is new and need's some serious burn-in in my opinion.

• halen
    halen Posts: 675
    I probably will not make LSAF this year but more than happy to contribute to the DAC shootout.

halen
  • halen
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Don’t you have a couple Chord’s laying around somewhere. Haha
  • voltz
    edited March 2018
    NO! Sorry to hear this , you will be missed.

I'll buy you a Nice center cut prime fillet if you do ;)

I know you have a life outside of LSAF but it be cool to see you again mt Friend!

• txcoastal1
    edited March 2018
    halen wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Don’t you have a couple Chord’s laying around somewhere. Haha

Have a Hugo too :) ...yes I found them ;)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    I probably will not make LSAF this year but more than happy to contribute to the DAC shootout.

halen

MF having another baby during LSAF....please tell the wife to keep her pant's on ;):p

• voltz
    no ship! I will have some Stagg Jr. in my Room only a 134 proof barrel strength.
    aadn2ujepb4y.jpg

• halen
    voltz wrote: »

I know you have a life outside of LSAF but it be cool to see you again mt Friend!

Haha. Speaking of... you must make time to stop by this place. Look for Wagyu Ribeye Special Reserve. You only live once so you gotta try it at least once. I don’t remember the numeric scale of the quality but it is top notch. The aged steaks there are only around five days so I pass on those. If they happen to have the Tomahawk that day, gotta try it too!

http://www.localyocalfarmtomarket.com/

Now back to this DAC mumble jumble. Haha

Cheers!
  • halen
    Yep2 wrote: »

halen

Scared of the hangover Halen?

I avoid hangovers by staying drunk. Ha

Cheers!
  • voltz

Haha. Speaking of... you must make time to stop by this place. Look for Wagyu Ribeye Special Reserve. You only live once so you gotta try it at least once. I don’t remember the numeric scale of the quality but it is top notch. The aged steaks there are only around five days so I pass on those. If they happen to have the Tomahawk that day, gotta try it too!

http://www.localyocalfarmtomarket.com/

Now back to this DAC mumble jumble. Haha

Cheers!

CHEERS!! Thanks and I will stop there I hope :) I took the whole week off so i got the time ;)

• txcoastal1
    no ship! I will have some Stagg Jr. in my Room only a 134 proof barrel strength.
    aadn2ujepb4y.jpg
    I'll bring the Stagg Chili... we can play a game of "pull my finger"
    697xpo5p5ss7.jpg

• voltz
    You my Friend really know how to ROCK the House!!! B)

Told Skip I am bringing some pulled-pork and BierRocks and buns! Heck we have Micro-waves & refrigerators :) Not going hungry with the kitchen food on site :p

it ain't a camp-out but at a camp-out you don't have Audiophile quality music either ;)

Good Food - Good Friends - Excellent Music - and good Spirits!

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I can bring my dragonfly black and some natty light. :#
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • voltz
    LOL hope you and your brother can make it too Dennis! going to be a good time for sure! The Whiskey is for sipping the Beer is for Drinking ;)

• txcoastal1
    edited March 2018
    I've got a couple mini grills and a tailgate
    Plus we can bust those kids who thought pelting my gear trailer with rocks was fun ;)

I'll bring a paint gun pistol

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I will try for the brother, but if he can’t make it I will just hang with the rest of my brothers. :)
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • txcoastal1
    shenanigans last year
    Do tell

Can't be any worse than the flatutoryrape charges the pizza guy filed

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Let's not risk getting tossed out this year. I'm surprised they are even letting us back after the shenanigans last year.

I wanna go
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Let's see if I can come this year
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited March 2018
    Let's not risk getting tossed out this year. I'm surprised they are even letting us back after the shenanigans last year.

What you invite the Cerwin Vega, JBL, crowd to party at a high end room such as Audio Thesis? :p Were they wearing shorts concert shirts and raising their right hand showing devil horns? Tell us more who was responsible for the shenanigans, and what did they do. I bet you guys tried stuffing as many Polkies in a rental car drove around inebriated and painted the town. Pictures please.

Side note I would like to attend I love my Musical Fidelity M1DAC and would would love to hear how some of the higher end ones perform.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)