Subwoofer for Stereo Rig

Options
2»

Comments

• Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Hi

So last night did some more listening. I switch to the Linn's and it sounded much better and had to adjust the gain input on the sub woofer.

I am thinking the output voltage of the preamp section of the Decco may be low. Also the Klipsch are easy to drive and they get loud pretty quick.

More listening on the way.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    Reply back from PeachTree is the output is 1V into 47k ohms.

Is that good or bad? Not an expert.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I ran into a problem when trying to pair a Jolida (tube) preamp with an SVS sub. Output voltage on the pre was not enough for the SVS. Going to a solid state pre solved the issue. SVS CS says that they run into issues when pairing tube preamp outputs to the inputs on their subs.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Alan_r
    Alan_r Posts: 164
    Options
    Wanna challenge your subs with something “natural” and musical? Find a track played on an OctoBass and play it at 95db measured at your listening position.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobass

I bottomed out two PSW505’s doing this. Now I need better subs.

OP: How is your SVS working out? I’m considering a pair.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Reply back from PeachTree is the output is 1V into 47k ohms.

Is that good or bad? Not an expert.

Cheers

1V is low. 2V is "normal" for most gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Alan_r wrote: »

I bottomed out two PSW505’s doing this. Now I need better subs.

Easy to do with a sub like that. Yep.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Irrenhaus
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I thought 1V was low. The plan is to move the living room rig to the bedroom. The AE-3 pre has a much higher output and the Parasound has a loop out so it will work great with the SVS.

Will update soon.

Cheers

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    SVS customer service is top notch. If you run into placement issues and need additional advice, they're glad to help you get the sub dialed in.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Irrenhaus
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Okay so I move the living room setup to the bedroom. So far is wow the sub has come alive. The gain is set to about 1/4 on the dial. Is there when is need it but not overtaking on the low end.

The output from the AE-3 is much higher. But no idea how much. Still working on the right placement.

Patrcia Barber, Billy Holiday and Cannonball Adderley are sounding great.

jijph57wqzrk.jpg

Cheers