BMW question

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    If I recall correctly Vmax , this car will be for your daughter.

Toyota Camry. Reliable and a good learner car.
    Tony mentioned the Nissan Altima (kind of a Camry): my son and DIL drive an Altima and are pleased. Good gas mileage, no problems mechanically, looks at least 'good 'nuff".

At a younger age, whether it's a daughter or son, stuff will happen.
    A ding in a Camry/Altima/etc results in a "You're okay ? Yes ? Then it's all good".

Besides those inconveniences (which are relatively cheaper learning lessons), the sound of "Hey Dad, my {fill-in-the-blank} isn't working right" if you buy a used BMW/Benz/etc will become, IMO, a bone-chilling experience.

Sal Palooza
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Vmaxxer...your gonna love that X5 if you drive it. You said you already drove one before so you know what to expect. Looks like it's well kept, and it's a low mileage, normally aspirated I6...alot of good going for you.

That being said, it will be hard to pry it away from you. For your daughter, I would recommend looking at a Volvo XC90 with the 3.2L inline-6.

I was never a big MDX fan, just a plain suv with a quirky odyssey motor. However, from 2016 on, they are sweet. Very sporty and quick.

I like BMW's, but if you go with the X5, even that particular copy, set aside some spare loot, and because it's for your daughter... get AAA, and see if you can get an extended warranty. If you have USAA, it shouldn't be a prob.

Again I love to drive BMW's, just not own them anymore.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tonyb wrote: »
    Man gents, we all know that Acura's are Honda's, Lexus-Toyota, Audi-VW, Nissan-Infinity and so forth. No need to get panties all bunched up over facts.

Truth be told, I don't think any of us give a rats behind, even if they were made by Keebler elves. What matters to most is....dependability/cost to maintain, looks, comfort, maybe some fun factor too in driving as nobody wants the performance of a Yugo...

Heck, my four cylinder, five speed 2001 Toyota Tacoma is a blast to drive -- although a Yugo would probably shut it down in a traffic light drag race :)

You really have to flog the Taco to gain ground, especially if you happen to be going against the Earth's rotation. :|
  • mhardy6647
    Hehhehehheheh... he said flog the Taco. :p

It's like pat the bunny or shock the monkey, right?

https://youtu.be/CnVf1ZoCJSo
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    gmcman wrote: »
    Vmaxxer...your gonna love that X5 if you drive it. You said you already drove one before so you know what to expect. Looks like it's well kept, and it's a low mileage, normally aspirated I6...alot of good going for you.

That being said, it will be hard to pry it away from you. For your daughter, I would recommend looking at a Volvo XC90 with the 3.2L inline-6.

I was never a big MDX fan, just a plain suv with a quirky odyssey motor. However, from 2016 on, they are sweet. Very sporty and quick.

I like BMW's, but if you go with the X5, even that particular copy, set aside some spare loot, and because it's for your daughter... get AAA, and see if you can get an extended warranty. If you have USAA, it shouldn't be a prob.

Again I love to drive BMW's, just not own them anymore.

Well, let the thrashing begin, I bought it. The thing is like new. He just put new run flat tires on it, new breaks all the way around, it has a ton of options as well.

I kind of think I will regret it as soon as something breaks, but life is short.

The seller just retired from the military after 25 years. The car had been in storage a few times while he was deployed.

So, unleash on me.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Let us know how it goes

Congrats!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    It's a gorgeous automobile; I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You're buying it for one of your kids, is that right?

Keep us posted on it, if you would.
  • vmaxer
    I will keep everyone posted. Not sure who it’s for now.....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Congrats on your new vehicle.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Make sure to add it to your signature, since you got everything else under the sun listed there. :lol:
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Check all the hoses, belts, if original...consider replacing.

I don't think flushing the brakes and power steering is very DIY friendly, if they share the same hydro pump...not sure on this model.

I agree with all the input here that this is a gamble at best, but....you may have come across a barn find.

These vehicles are ridiculously over-engineered, same as Audi/ VW, MB, which introduce a plethora of things to go wrong.

Looks like an extremely well kept vehicle, I wish you the best. Perhaps jump over to Bimmerforums and get some inside scoop on that model if you haven't done so.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited March 2018
    Just wondering.....if we should start the collection for bail money now ? I mean...after his daughter lets her drunk boyfriend drive the car and wrap it around a tree.....I'm pretty sure, don't quote me on it, but pretty sure....bail money for Dad is going to be top priority. :)

Which speaking of....how come we have no lawyers here on the forum ? Seems to me, there's a wealth of prospects lurking around.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Pretty inappropriate to suggest that his daughter and boyfriend are going to get into a serious drunk driving accident.

Even as a joke, that tasteless as **** man.
    Just wondering.....if we should start the collection for bail money now ? I mean...after his daughter lets her drunk boyfriend drive the car and wrap it around a tree.....I'm pretty sure, don't quote me on it, but pretty sure....bail money for Dad is going to be top priority. :)

Which speaking of....how come we have no lawyers here on the forum ? Seems to me, there's a wealth of prospects lurking around.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Vmaxer, beautiful auto, have fun but be vigilant, we love ya man ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Ha! My fork post is gone
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Ha! My fork post is gone

Born in East L.A. "Fork me? No... Fork you!".... :D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Congrats and good luck vmaxer! It is a nice looking bimmer.

Reading this thread immediately made me think of this:

https://youtu.be/mkcKQmr7kRc
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I would have waited for the all new 2019 BMW Apollo One
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Keep the beemer and get your daughter a camry or accord or other boring but reliable POS as recommended in this thread (and appropriately so).
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited March 2018
    Copied from Vmaxer's post.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Pretty inappropriate to suggest that his daughter and boyfriend are going to get into a serious drunk driving accident.

Go to your safe place, it'll be ok.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    edited March 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Copied from Vmaxer's post.

Go to your safe place, it'll be ok.

I didn’t post that??

op3jfcilfpjx.png
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I know, Clipdat did, which you quoted and is why I could see it as I have him on ignore.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    Ok, wasn’t sure.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2018
    Good for you man. I’m a German car guy through and through! I have four of them for a reason. Nothing drives like them. Would take one any day over a domestic.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Dude, untwist your boxers bro....it was meant as a joke, well half joke, as evident by the smiley face at the end.

Besides....you think the scenario I painted is a stretch ? Happens all the time. Point was....a teenager is more likely to wrap a car around a tree because of their inexperience and poor judgement as a driver. You can choose to total out an expensive car or a cheap car. Granted not all teens are like that Obviously but the odds are not in your favor.

Nothing inappropriate about that, just friendly advice, and an opinion is all.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    ... Point was....a teenager is more likely to wrap a car around a tree because of their inexperience and poor judgement as a driver. You can choose to total out an expensive car or a cheap car. Granted not all teens are like that Obviously but the odds are not in your favor.

Nothing inappropriate about that, just friendly advice, and an opinion is all.

I guess the take home is a first car with as many airbags as possible.

Let's see -- our kids both learned to drive in a 1993 Ford Explorer. If nothing else, it was beefy... and pretty good in bad weather. The learned to drive a manual in a 2000 Ford Focus ZX-3 -- which had airbags on top of airbags, and was pretty robust for a small car. Got, like 35 mpg, too.

Our poor son spent much of his young driving life puttering around in mom's hand-me-down minivan :p Beefy, airbags, lots of room for his paintball stuff (and buddies). He did tear the passenger-side mirror off once -- paying for the repair pretty much cured him of his poor awaress of the right side of his vehicle, though.

sorry, just prattling.