BMW question

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2018
    We are trying to Karma you some common sense...

But do you realize who/what you are dealing with @nooshinjohn ?

A dumd, old, and stubborn hillbilly.

I told you, dumb
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    vmaxer wrote: »

Maybe you should buy some teefs instead?
  • vmaxer
    afterburnt wrote: »

Maybe you should buy some teefs instead?

I done already got one a couple years back.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2018
    This is now a cat thread
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2018
    Worthless without pics
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    I doubt that I will ever drive anything but an Acura. Got my daughter hooked now, too. :)
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I passed this bmw a few weeks ago. No crash just burning away and pourin oil on US 70.

p03k83sjo4x3.jpeg
    ne8od5b2bnva.jpeg
    wllsv21wd3q8.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2018
    I passed this bmw a few weeks ago. No crash just burning away and pourin oil on US 70.

p03k83sjo4x3.jpeg
    ne8od5b2bnva.jpeg
    wllsv21wd3q8.jpeg

Probly torched it when he found out how much it cost to repair or maybe he was just tinting the windows? :#
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »
    You want a used luxury car? Get a Cadillac or a Lincoln or a Lexus or an Acura. Buicks are pretty snazzy anymore too and NOBODY will pay any attention to you because they think you are an old man. A Cadillac is just a bedazzled Chevy so it's going to be cheap and easy to fix. A Lincoln is a Ford that took off the blue jeans and put on a rented tux. A Lexus is an over-priced Toyota with the "gold package". An Acura is a Honda with different badges.

Back in the day, when I was a technical editor writing repair manuals for the Hearst Corp., that's exactly what we thought, too

Well, it's not exactly like that.

Mechanically, they are all the same parts.

Park a Cadillac Escalade next to a Chevy Tahoe and you can swap parts all you want, mechanically, they are similar. But grab hold of a Tahoe hood vs an Escalade hood and there's a difference. Same with the rest of the body panels.

A friend has a 2009 Edge and he parked it next to my 2007 MKX. Fundamentally, they are the same car. But the MKX has much more sound deadening in it, higher grade finish materials and little gizmos and doodads that are unavailable on the Edge.

So you do get a premium over the down-market siblings. Even some of the parts are upgraded like suspension parts like shocks/struts and stuff. So they aren't just over-priced shlock. They get tuning bumps and such as well.

That said, having a similar parts bin to the higher volume siblings means repairs and maintenance are cheaper than European or Japanese competition with similar pedigrees.

Like:
    Infiniti is quite literally just a rebadged Nissan. At least until recently. They thought no one would pay premium dollars for the same company that brought them the Stanza. The Infiniti name did not exist outside of North America.

Audi is an upmarket VW. Every car in the Audi lineup shares a platform and underpinnings with a VW. They change engine and suspension tuning.

Even FIAT does it with not just FIAT cars across their catalog of brands but they do it with Dodge and Chrysler too. Which is obvious, of course but there are FIATs that are mechanically identical to certain Jeeps where they share, literally everything except exterior sheet metal.

But that really just makes the cost of ownership lower than brands like BMW, Jag, Mercedes or Range Rover that only do the luxury line.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Ok I'm just gonna get a bit...serious here...obviously @vmaxer, you said this is going to be for a 17 year old daughter to drive? Honestly a BMW is a bad bad bad choice. Get her something that can be bounced off a curb or two without needing a full front end rebuild, something that won't cost a fortune to fix if a small crack happens on the bumper cover...something that doesn't cost a mint to maintain and operate.

Of all the stuff mentioned in this thread...consider a "boring" car/SUV. Yes seriously, get her something that she can beat on for a few years and will come back for more abuse no matter what, Toyota and Honda both make cars and SUVs that are tougher than that X5 and if they DO need a fix...it's not the end of the world cost wise. I know for a kid driving a Beemer is awesome but the bills and headaches that are certain to come with it and the "I told you so's" from us aren't worth it.

Yeah I know I'm "Mr.Rain On The Parade" but I am talking from experience fixing these things...if I had a kid I'd put them into a late '90s F150 long before I'd let em drive a X5....durability and cost to repair comes first. Just take a long hard think on this post above all others in this thread before going to see it tomorrow If it was me I'd cancel even with the records and carfax...it's in that area of age where an X5 will drain the coffers for repairs.

Just a completely sober view from someone who fixes vehicles for a living.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Ok I'm just gonna get a bit...serious here...obviously @vmaxer, you said this is going to be for a 17 year old daughter to drive? Honestly a BMW is a bad bad bad choice. Get her something that can be bounced off a curb or two without needing a full front end rebuild, something that won't cost a fortune to fix if a small crack happens on the bumper cover...something that doesn't cost a mint to maintain and operate.

Of all the stuff mentioned in this thread...consider a "boring" car/SUV. Yes seriously, get her something that she can beat on for a few years and will come back for more abuse no matter what, Toyota and Honda both make cars and SUVs that are tougher than that X5 and if they DO need a fix...it's not the end of the world cost wise. I know for a kid driving a Beemer is awesome but the bills and headaches that are certain to come with it and the "I told you so's" from us aren't worth it.

Yeah I know I'm "Mr.Rain On The Parade" but I am talking from experience fixing these things...if I had a kid I'd put them into a late '90s F150 long before I'd let em drive a X5....durability and cost to repair comes first. Just take a long hard think on this post above all others in this thread before going to see it tomorrow If it was me I'd cancel even with the records and carfax...it's in that area of age where an X5 will drain the coffers for repairs.

Just a completely sober view from someone who fixes vehicles for a living.

The prophet has spoken, nailed it!!!!!!!!!!
  • charley95
    Owner of a 14 RX 350. Purchased December of 14 with 6K on the clock. March 2018 with 30k on the clock. In the shop once for a small section of paint peeling off the grill, replaced under warranty. I think I’ll just trade it with all the problems I’m having! Lol
  • vmaxer
    I test drove an X5 in December of 2015 and fell in love. That one didn't work out and I ended up getting a high mileage MKX. 3 days later I was travelling to visit my mother and had my daughter with me. It was in the middle of the night on a dark interstate, the internal water pump went out and took the engine out. The dealer I got it from helped me and I replaced the engine.

I had set up a search on CarGuru's and get updates every day, this one came up and I jumped - haven't purchased it yet but do go to look at it tomorrow.

This isn't about any status symbol - I am pretty plain and simple, don't live above my means. It is just a vehicle I loved and wanted to find a good deal on that I thought would work out.

I'm not sure what I will do tomorrow. I may still get it and if it starts costing a lot trade it on something else, or I could pass?? I am attaching the CarFax for consideration.

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • charley95
    CarFax doesn't disclose everything in some cases. I always run the vin. through the brands dealer for a print out too. Looked at several cars through the years and always found additional info from dealer on history.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I ended up getting a high mileage MKX. 3 days later I was travelling to visit my mother and had my daughter with me. It was in the middle of the night on a dark interstate, the internal water pump went out and took the engine out.

Newer engines don't seem to take abuse like the older iron can. Easily warped heads, weak head gaskets... I strongly suspect it has much to do with the quickened warm up strategies employed for driver comfort.
  • Jstas
    DSkip wrote: »
    Infiniti is not just rebadged. The finishes are higher grade as well, just like other luxury brands. The pathfinder and jx35 are the same car with even identical interiors but the materials used to make the interior are higher grade.

I believe I already stated that but thanks for your input and seeming justification of your own automotive purchase. Enjoy your Nissan.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

p03k83sjo4x3.jpeg
    ne8od5b2bnva.jpeg
    wllsv21wd3q8.jpeg

Probly torched it when he found out how much it cost to repair or maybe he was just tinting the windows? :#

There’s a technical service bulletin on an issue where moisture gets into the blower motor, causes corrosion (obviously) which in turn causes the blower motor wiring to heat up from excessive resistance from the corrosion. Then next step is fire.

Why the fuse doesn’t blow is beyond me. First clue is smoke in the cabin. Seriously folks this is true. BMW says, we don’t have a fix for it yet, but there will be a recall in the future. Replacing the blower motor won’t fix the issue either. Somehow water gets in there from the cowling area. And well...
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I believe I already stated that but thanks for your input and seeming justification of your own automotive purchase. Enjoy your Nissan.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/anger-management/art-20045434
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jstas
    Infiniti is not just rebadged. The finishes are higher grade as well, just like other luxury brands. The pathfinder and jx35 are the same car with even identical interiors but the materials used to make the interior are higher grade.

Your quote said 'not until recently'. I was clarifying and building on it. Enjoy your exceptional interpersonal skills.

No, my quote said that not until recently did the brand name Infiniti exist outside the North American market. Everywhere else in the world, they were just Nissans.

Infiniti has been around since 1989 in NA only. When Ghosen became Pres., CEO and Chairman of Nissan in 2008 and the same for Renault in 2009, he decided to break Infiniti away into a more distinct brand. So sometime between 2010 and 2012 it happened. 6 to 8 years ago.

• nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    That year would be an N54 motor - problems with HPFP, turbos, etc. When they run they are fantastic vehicles. People will say "keep up with the maintenance" and "Treat them right" blah blah. I've had: 2011 335i Coupe (N55), 2008 528i LCi, 2008 550i MSport, and my latest a 2011 F10 550i (N63). All but the 335i had some sort of stupid expensive issue. 528i - steering wheel optical disc position sensor went bad (fogged up) $1200. 2008 550i had AC go out $?? I forget but it was a lot. 2011 550i.... the service list is like 50 pages long. Probably >$20k in dealer invoice costs in the last 24 months of ownership. I always did all scheduled maintenance, all oil changes at dealer, all repairs at dealer, and always garaged. Sold at 92k for $11k. Traded it in while it was in the shop getting 2 new turbos put in for white smoke AFTER they did the stem seal repair 4 months prior. $5995 for the repair on an $11k trade in. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty. They are fun, but they are VERY expensive to repair. A $70k+ car bought for $10k is still a $70k car to fix, and with an unreliable track record the risk goes up significantly. If you still really want an X5 - get the diesel. It's more reliable, but it's still a BMW. Break My Wallet.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    daboyz wrote: »
    I doubt that I will ever drive anything but an Acura. Got my daughter hooked now, too. :)

I get a kick out of driving down to Orange County and nailing my 2011 TL off the line, leaving all the Beemer drivers wondering what just happened.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    My ‘04 naturally aspirated Jaguar V8 is pretty good at thet too.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Jaybeez wrote: »

I get a kick out of driving down to Orange County and nailing my 2011 TL off the line, leaving all the Beemer drivers wondering what just happened.

Lol Did they know they were racing? Oh I know what it was... they were on fire!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Not a fan of the recent infinitis. Maybe I’ll try out the newest releases. But the G was so similar to my friend’s same year Nissan Altima, it was disappointing thereafter.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Your quote said 'not until recently'. I was clarifying and building on it. Enjoy your exceptional interpersonal skills.

No, my quote said that not until recently did the brand name Infiniti exist outside the North American market. Everywhere else in the world, they were just Nissans.

Infiniti has been around since 1989 in NA only. When Ghosen became Pres., CEO and Chairman of Nissan in 2008 and the same for Renault in 2009, he decided to break Infiniti away into a more distinct brand. So sometime between 2010 and 2012 it happened. 6 to 8 years ago.

Remember the brouhaha over Infiniti when the brand name was launched? They ran these ethereal commercials that didn't really make it obvious what the product was (i.e., a car). It was a big topic at the time.

I also remember a generally bemused response in the automotive press at the time (late 1980s?) when Infiniti and Acura were launched (my recollection was that Lexus was later to the party, but maybe it came first -- too lazy to fact check, am I?). There
    was skepticism that folks would pay premium prices for tarted up Datsuns/Nissans or Hondas... but the QC and general fit 'n' finish of the "premium label" Japanese brands carried the day when all was said & done.

... at least that's the way I remember it. :)
  • Jstas
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Remember the brouhaha over Infiniti when the brand name was launched? They ran these ethereal commercials that didn't really make it obvious what the product was (i.e., a car). It was a big topic at the time.

I also remember a generally bemused response in the automotive press at the time (late 1980s?) when Infiniti and Acura were launched (my recollection was that Lexus was later to the party, but maybe it came first -- too lazy to fact check, am I?). There
    was skepticism that folks would pay premium prices for tarted up Datsuns/Nissans or Hondas... but the QC and general fit 'n' finish of the "premium label" Japanese brands carried the day when all was said & done.

... at least that's the way I remember it. :)

Acura came first in 1986. I think Acura is still just a North American market brand. They are all Hondas in Japan, still, I believe. I know they were going to go and make Acura a brand in Japan in 2008 but them the economic troubles hit and they shelved that idea.

Lexus was in '89 but wasn't a global brand name until 2005. They were all Toyotas previously.

The luxury branding came because the Japanese companies were selling their mid-market cars here at fairly cut rates because of tariffs and such. They wanted to bring their whole line over but nobody was going to drop $60K on a TOTL Honda or Toyota. That's partly their fault for fostering the "cheap" image.

But to get around the cost problems that the trade tariffs brought, the Japanese companies came up with the luxury brands and brought their TOTL models over under those luxury brand names with the tariff induced premium prices.

Lexus almost failed because Acura had the Legend which was really just a rebadged Honda Legend from Japan. Lexus came to market with the original ES300 which was and looked just like a Camry at twice the price. Fit and finish was not top notch like it is now and the price was not justified. Also, Acura had the Legend and the Vigor out for a while (Vigor was a tarted up Accord, literally, they looked the same, different badge on the nose). The Legend, however, looked like no other Honda.

Lexus got wise and in 1991 released the 2nd gen ES300. It was related to the '91 Camry and built on the same platform that also underpinned a number of other cars for Toyota and GM but it looked nothing like anything else. It sold like hotcakes. If it wasn't for Toyota wising up about Lexus and not following suit with the Americans and their badge engineering, there'd be no Lexus today. The ES300 save Lexus and honestly, the Japanese luxury market here.

And yes I remember the silly Infiniti commercials well. They were going for the same "quality and refinement" gimmicks as Lexus with the wine glasses on the hood of the LS400 so they had some celebrity blathering on about the clock in the dashboard. But they focused only on the clock in the dash so it looked like furniture, not a car. Then they panned out to the car, the Q45, for the briefest moment then the typical fast talking with tiny words on the screen. The J30 commercials were even weirder.

But Infiniti struggled because the first Q45 was bland and boring eventhough it was a "sporty luxury sedan". The J30 didn't help any because it looked like a suppository and suspiciously like the new Altima too. Nobody knew the G20 even existed because it pretty much looked like a big Sentra and was totally meh. The only one that did anything consistently with decent sales was the M30 until everyone found out that it was the Mustang V6 of the Skyline cars. Then it fell off a cliff in sales until the the G35 (Nissan V35 everywhere else) came out and replaced both the Sentra based G20 and the Nissan Leopard...I mean M30 and sold like hot cakes 'cause it sounded awesome, looked amazing and actually performed well. Even if it was the entry level Skyline still.

The G35 is car that saved Infiniti. It also allowed Nissan the market share to be able to build a car like the 350Z and have enough market padding to take a loss on the 350Z when they first started selling them.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I quite like my rdx we've had it for a year . It's 2012 last year of the shawd until 2019. We were very impressed with the fit and finish most importantly the way it drives. I always thought premium would be BMW, Mercedes, Audi. Luxury would be the 1% ers cars. When we went looking we thought about BMW or Audi but something kept saying it'll cost you. So to those that say Acura is not higher end. It is to us compared to the Rav4 we also drive. We like our rdx so much that in a couple years we'll look at replacing our rav with another rdx or mdx. All this to say, it's your money if you really want the x5 then buy it. Just make sure you can sleep at night with your decision not saying it's a bad choice at all. I'm no mechanic, but after reading what the mechanics on here say, I wouldn't buy one. Some things are just not worth it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Man gents, we all know that Acura's are Honda's, Lexus-Toyota, Audi-VW, Nissan-Infinity and so forth. No need to get panties all bunched up over facts.

Truth be told, I don't think any of us give a rats behind, even if they were made by Keebler elves. What matters to most is....dependability/cost to maintain, looks, comfort, maybe some fun factor too in driving as nobody wants the performance of a Yugo.

I might echo Kens concern though, why buy a 17 year old an expensive car when you know they won't be the most careful driver. I bought my kids used cars knowing there was going to be a guardrail that jumped out in front of them, a curb they couldn't resist, or a shopping cart that the wind blew too hard in the parking lot.

Enter Nissan Altima. Great kid car, dependable, low maintenance, good on gas, and fairly cheap on the used markets. By the time my second kid was driving, the first one beat it up pretty good. That was only 2 years later too.

Bottom line, it's your money, waste it as you see fit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Jaybeez wrote: »

:)