I need help deciding what series are my speakers and what tweeters to get

I got a pair of polk monitor 7s need help on deciding what tweeter i need that will fit my speakers and it would be nice to know the series to :smiley:

The tag Reads Polk audio Monitor 7 24198 Thanks

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    Post a picture with the grill off.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xhuvm31v95iw.jpg
    I currently have goldwood tweeters from parts express and they suck
  • dk397a70bsmw.jpg

Here is the crossover
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    edited March 2017
    Whoa.......they are a bit of a mess. Ok, there is no fuse on the back, so they are likely 7C's, but you should pull the crossover to compare with the schematic posted here.

Those driver/PR screws are not the correct ones and the driver screws are in the wrong location. It also appears the binding post plate is cracked. I can't tell for sure, but it appears the two bottom screws on the tweeter are going through the bezel, not the tweeter cut out.

I take it you just bought them?

One other thing, the red (positive) nut should be on the left, black on the right. However, you should verify that the wires haven't been swapped inside.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    It looks like someone replaced the tweeter with a JBL (or knock-off) tweeter.

If you remove the PR and snap a pic of the actual crossover components we maybe able to give a better idea but you likely want the Polk replacement tweeter RDO-194 which is an upgrade.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2017
    Holy.... that midwoofer looks like it's taken some dings and those screws... you might need hurricane nuts or Larry's rings. You'll find out.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Thank you all very much thank you all for the information these where actually my uncles garage speakers so they have taken quite a beating over the years I picked them up not to long ago he wanted smaller speakers I think these polk speakers are a diamond in the rough I can't wait to get the crossover upgraded and I'm sure they will sound awesome I'll take a picture of the crossover in the morning.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Where are you located. I may have parts that will help. No charge.
  • Oldreliable7m
    Oldreliable7m Posts: 19
    edited March 2017
    I'm located in Aurora Colorado.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Posting you phone # isn't the best idea. If you have time to edit I'd take it out.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Oh boy, time to make some prank phone calls.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    There's 10 pizzas on the way to your place.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Nightfall wrote: »
    There's 10 pizzas on the way to your place.

25 now.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2017
    He needs a new Direct TV system, too.
    Plenty o' phone reps need his #.
  • Nightfall
    Male dancers will be there at 3PM for a bachelorette party.

• Well the good news is the passive radiator seems to be in good condition. The tweeter and the mid woofers are easily available.

The passives are harder to come by, so you may have dodged a bullet.

Have fun!
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    No air leakage around those tweeters.... ;)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Those look like a "fun" project.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Yes yes they do But there better than my sda-1c i got form a mechanic that had them in a garage
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Have you gotten anywhere with it?
    It's been a year, hopefully the are positive results?
  • not quite yet ill get to them after my sda-1cs im going to use the old sl2000 tweeters from my sda-1cs and put them into the monitor 7s then im going to upgrade the crossover sense they might be damaged or upgrade the midbass and see how they sound after that
  • its kind of hard juggling car problems and the project that i know ill love doing