Cheap preamp with dac

Looking for cheap preamp with digital inputs to front end B&K 200.2 for office 2 channel. My P5 is back in the ht pulling hybrid duty. Source will be laptop and or Chromecast. Would like to keep it less that 250, used is okay.
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Best Answers

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Answer ✓
    The best Pre...with a dac or with digital inputs, under 250..is an older high end processor. Look for a B&K ref. 30 or 50.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Answer ✓
    tonyb wrote: »
    Or...just look for one of these....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162954396167?rmvSB=true

One component to run everything, you won't need the amp. A 307 is more than capable with those speakers and you'll fill all your other requirements.

Another good idea
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

Answers

• rburgess714
    The best Pre...with a dac or with digital inputs, under 250..is an older high end processor. Look for a B&K ref. 30 or 50.

Good to know. There was a ref 20 that sold on the fm for a hundred bucks. I’m not in a hurry so I will shop around if I can control myself.

Thanks
    Living Room

Office

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Food for thought....The most expensive tool you will ever buy is a cheap one....
  • tonyb
    edited March 2018
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Food for thought....The most expensive tool you will ever buy is a cheap one....

Good one....and true to some extent. Though....nothing "cheap about a 2-3k processor that sells for 2-300 bucks because they are outdated.

Finding a dedicated 2 channel pre, with a built in dac and digital inputs for 250 bucks simply isn't going to happen. Old receivers, processors, fit that budget and especially for an office rig....if you have the room for them. Many of the older HT processors serve 2 channel very well, have good quality dacs in them and connections up the ying yang. B&k, Classe, Cary, Proceed , Outlaw...just to name a few.

If you really wanted to go cheap, look on your local craigslist for a receiver.

If it was me though, I might be more inclined to look for a tube integrated for that office system. The 703's are easy to drive so should be an easy load for most.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Or...just look for one of these....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162954396167?rmvSB=true

One component to run everything, you won't need the amp. A 307 is more than capable with those speakers and you'll fill all your other requirements.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rburgess714
    Msabot1 wrote: »

Good one....and true to some extent. Though....nothing "cheap about a 2-3k processor that sells for 2-300 bucks because they are outdated.

Finding a dedicated 2 channel pre, with a built in dac and digital inputs for 250 bucks simply isn't going to happen. Old receivers, processors, fit that budget and especially for an office rig....if you have the room for them. Many of the older HT processors serve 2 channel very well, have good quality dacs in them and connections up the ying yang. B&k, Classe, Cary, Proceed , Outlaw...just to name a few.

If you really wanted to go cheap, look on your local craigslist for a receiver.

If it was me though, I might be more inclined to look for a tube integrated for that office system. The 703's are easy to drive so should be an easy load for most.

Good suggestions here on older processors for 2 channel. Any love for lexicon? Tube integrated sounds fun but that rabbit hole intimidates me.
    Living Room

Office

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rburgess714
    I like the the idea of a the 307 but not ready to throw my 200.2 out of the mix for this rig. Also looking for usb input. Narrowing in on a used Cambridge Audio Dac magic plus or new Emotiva pt 100. Thoughts?
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Between those two, the Cambridge.
    I like the the idea of a the 307 but not ready to throw my 200.2 out of the mix for this rig. Also looking for usb input. Narrowing in on a used Cambridge Audio Dac magic plus or new Emotiva pt 100. Thoughts?

• tonyb
    The Dac magic is on sale right now at Audio advisor....if that's what your looking for.

From my own experiences though, using a dac as a pre isn't ideal. I realize some do though. Plus the Dac magic seemed a bit sterile sounding to my ears.

You could also float by on a USB dac like the Dragonfly from audioquest and plug that into any pre amp/processor.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Tony could you expand on why this is? I've heard similar but I've wondered about the rationale.
    From my own experiences though, using a dac as a pre isn't ideal. I realize some do though.

• tonyb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tony could you expand on why this is? I've heard similar but I've wondered about the rationale.
    From my own experiences though, using a dac as a pre isn't ideal. I realize some do though.

Hard to do without a direct comparison for yourself. Some swear by using a dac as a pre, some can't stand it. I fall into that 2nd camp. Best to use your own ears and compare.

If pre-amps didn't matter, nobody would spend the coin on them, right ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Good point. Perhaps to meet price points, they're skimping on the "preamp" stage of the DAC.

That being said, I would still like to try a DacMagic+ with a nice set of powered monitors at some point in the future.

• rburgess714
    Clipdat wrote: »

Hard to do without a direct comparison for yourself. Some swear by using a dac as a pre, some can't stand it. I fall into that 2nd camp. Best to use your own ears and compare.

It be great to have a place to get ears gear. In my noobish mindset the warmth of the 200.2 would complement an all digital set up.
    Living Room

Office

• rburgess714
    edited March 2018
    I went off the reservation and did not heed anyone’s advice or suggestions. I know I am going to get grief for this but I made a late night impulse buy on Amazon. I ordered the Emotiva PT-100 for 3 bones, it has a DAC, digital and analog inputs and should arrive tomorrow. Three year warranty and if it completely sucks I have 30 days to return.
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat
    Do let us know your thoughts after you get some hours logged on it!
    I went off the reservation and did not heed anyone’s advice or suggestions. I know I am going to get grief for this but I made a late night impulse buy on Amazon. I ordered the Emotiva PT-100 for 3 bones, it has a DAC, digital and analog inputs and should arrive tomorrow. Three year warranty and if it completely sucks I have 30 days to return.

• I have been following this string and looking around on Ebay for the B&K 30/50. I definitely like the quality/price with three kids in the house and a budget. I've been reading about some issue with firmware and a "please wait" message. Has anyone heard about this or experienced this issue and is it common?
  • rburgess714
    edited March 2018
    Emo pre received last night and burning in. Few initial comments and more to follow after unit gets some time on it.

I) I really like the compact size, the input options and built in dac.

2) Remote is super cheap. Though from my desk I only have turn in my chair to adjust but still it’s garbage.

3) Most importantly is sound. The unit only has about 8 hours on it and the word that comes to mind is tinny.

Living Room

Office

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Emo pre received last night and burning in. Few initial comments and more to follow after unit gets some time on it.

I) I really like the compact size, the input options and built in dac.

2) Remote is super cheap. Though from my desk I only have turn in my chair to adjust but still it’s garbage.

3) Most importantly is sound. The unit only has about 8 hours on it and the word that comes to mind is tinny.

Bummer. Don't give up. I'd keep looking for an Anthem or B&K pre/pro
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rburgess714
    Going to give this another couple of days but really think it’s going back. Will likely be going a different direction.
    Living Room

Office

• tonyb
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649307839-bampk-reference-preamp/

See if this is still available, for under 200 it's a steal. Spotted a ref 50 too but without the remote for 225. You could probably grab a remote off ebay.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rburgess714
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat
    Giving up on the Emo?
  • rburgess714
    not yet... listening to it now, it's not horrible at all and for home office at low listening levels its okay. Over the weekend at higher volumes while burning in it was kind of striking me the wrong way... maybe more burn in time? But I may ditch it and the B&K and simplify with an integrated that has digital inputs with dac and usb.
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat
    Ah, yeah, you might have to give it 50-100 hours just to get to sound "decent".

You got some time left on your 30 day Amazon return window. :)
    not yet... listening to it now, it's not horrible at all and for home office at low listening levels its okay. Over the weekend at higher volumes while burning in it was kind of striking me the wrong way... maybe more burn in time? But I may ditch it and the B&K and simplify with an integrated that has digital inputs with dac and usb.

• rburgess714
    A peachtree nova might be up your alley if your going to ditch the amp.

That is an option and I really hate I missed the peachtree pre that was on here for $150. But If look to take the amp out and focus on an integrated the peachtee could work but they are pricey and if I was to pay that much I would probably look at finding a used Parasound integrated. On a separate thread I was inquiring about the Yamaha A-S801?
    Living Room

Office

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Yamaha wxc-50 May fit the bill .....
    I have 2 and love them .....
    One hooked up to a B&K ex-442 , the other with a parasound A-21
    -bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM