What’s the best way to clean pearless tweeters on monitor 10a

Options
Thataxeguy
Thataxeguy Posts: 14
edited March 2018 in Vintage Speakers
So I bought some really good condition moniter 10a’s for $70 and the guy threw in a polk center channel and a psw202 sub. Wich in my opinion was a amazing deal. On the 10a’s the tweeters are dusty and the one tweeter has a indent on it but still works. How should I clean them without damaging them and how should I try to fix the other one.
Post edited by Thataxeguy on

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Ok, I don't think there is anything you can do about the crease. As for the dust, if you have a vacuum with a round brush nozzle that should work. Don't actually brush the tweeter, just put the mouth of the brush over the tweeter. To clean the drivers and PR you can spray original Windex on a soft cotton cloth, then wipe in a circular motion until clean.

You need to get the speakers off the floor. The tweeters should be at ear height.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The original Polk stands have a 5 degree back tilt and were short. However, that was only because Polk didn't want to offer stands that made the speakers look like big floor standers. Therefore, you don't need nor should they have a back tilt if you get stands that raise the tweeter to ear height.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I've used Fantastic and a Q-Tip to clean the dome on the Peerless many times. You can try a hair dryer on low heat to soften the dome, and possible smooth out the crease, You can also use a cap from a prescription bottle to protect the dome, if you want to cleanup and paint the face. Certain size caps will fit perfectly in the recess where the dome attaches to the faceplate. Be sure to hold the cap in place while you spray the faceplate.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/

Answers

• F1nut
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A few pics would help.

BTW, it's Peerless.

President of Club Polk

• Thataxeguy
    Options
    Picture of the tweeter or speakers
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thataxeguy wrote: »
    Picture of the tweeter or speakers

Both, especially the tweeter

By the way welcome to Club Polk :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Thataxeguy
    Options
    I’m really glad I joined
  • Thataxeguy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a shot. As for getting them off the floor I’ve been trying to find some stands or I was gonna build some.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    As for getting them off the floor I’ve been trying to find some stands or I was gonna build some.

Build them, factory units tend to be a bit flimsy. Oh, don't forget to give the top plate a 15°(?) tilt upward.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    Here's a drawing for the stands

t2uf4nbiewxk.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    That should be 5 degrees.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    As for getting them off the floor I’ve been trying to find some stands or I was gonna build some.

Build them, factory units tend to be a bit flimsy. Oh, don't forget to give the top plate a 15°(?) tilt upward.
    F1nut wrote: »
    That should be 5 degrees.

I knew there was a 5 in there somewhere :#