Ultrasonic Record Cleaners

stainless0steel2
stainless0steel2 Posts: 193
edited March 2018 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Awhile back I had posted a thread http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/172654/diy-ultrasonic-record-cleaning-machine/p1 on my custom record cleaning machine that I had made at work. This sparked interest in people having me make production runs of them. Which I’ve done 2 runs (17 total units) so far and they’ve been well perceived. Well I’ve finally reached a point where I can run some more of them.
For those of you who don’t know about or how ultrasonic cleaning works, it’s actually quite simple. It’s the use of high frequency vibrations within a liquid that create microscopic cavitation bubbles that implode on contact with the submerged item(s). With these imploding bubbles they pull contaminates out and away from the smallest spots and crevices. That’s why this process is used to clean dental/medical equipment, tattoo equipment and jewelry.
So as you could imagine this has to be the ideal way to clean your vinyl. In the opinion of myself and other audiophiles…it is. I actually will not drop my stylus on a record that hasn’t been ultrasonically cleaned.
It’s all because this process removes all the dirt/debris that has built up in the grooves over the years or even decades. With an added cleaner (in this case isopropyl alcohol, de-natured alcohol or Tritan X) it’s also able to remove the thin film of oil that’s used in the process of pressing vinyl records. Not to mention this is the best way to remove static.
If you’ve ever looked into purchasing an ultrasonic record cleaner you’ve noticed the hefty price. Which seems to range from about $1,000 to upwards of $3,000.
One the flip side they’re also people who have built their own. The material they’ve used vary from wood, pvc pipe and some are even made out of some nice clear acrylic. But as far as my research has pulled up I’m the only one that has built one out of steel and stainless. Which as you would imagine is far more durable.
With building your own it’s obviously going to be the cheapest route. Fortunately I work as a welder/machinist I’m offering my services to build you one like I did the other 17 people. Since I’m the one solely involved in the making of these, the price is able to stay considerably lower. And that $300 gets you the chassis, motor, transformer, toggle switch, hardware, two 6oz eye drop bottles, spacers and the end clamps. But this will arrive to you all assembled.
All you need to purchase is the ultrasonic tank (you can find one on ebay for $120 to $250), a cleaner like de-natured alcohol, couple gallons or distilled water and some Kodak photo-flo.
Unfortunately there is one downside to this bargain. It will probably take me over a month to build these. Because I already work around 56 hours a week and I’m doing this all on my free time. So I stay late after work a few times each week to get a some hours in on them. If you have interest in purchasing one of these units please PM me. I’m going to leave this open for two weeks.

-Brian
yhds4nj61pcm.jpg
zwej4glyvf23.jpg
byusm8jw6dz7.jpg
am54hud8pxt0.jpg
The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    edited March 2018
    These are really nice turn-key kits.

I bought one of the first run units back when it was just the chassis and we were Collect 'n Build for the rest of the parts. Excellent quality. A lot of work went in to reaching this design. I'm fairly handy, but I'd never have gotten around to pulling together an ultrasonic were it not for this kit.

About the only thing I noticed is the seal material was a little hard and my labels would get a smidge wet around the edge sometimes. I'm not too bothered by it, and the cleaning solution keeps mostly to the groove since it's really "wet" and flowy, and especially since it spins so slowly.

For what it's worth, I've experimented with a few different cleaning methods/systems. Another one offers o-ring clamping around the label, and even then, the label still gets a little wet.

Great opportunity to get into USRCM.
    I disabled signatures.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited March 2018
    This looks great. Very tempting. But I just don't spin vinyl like I used to so I got to think about it. Other thing that I am hesitating about is that I know this takes a while to produce and your time shouldn't be free. I appreciate you willing to take time to make it for free, but there's a reason they are $1K and up. For the quality of this thing you are spending quite a bit of time on it and you should get something for your time.

Could the seal be replaced with cork to make it more effective?

BTW, dental tools should be cleaned with an autoclave (high pressure steam) because they need to be sterilized. But I heard from some colleagues that dentists are typically very frugal and the joke is that they simply wipe tools with their gowns. :disappointed:
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very cool. I’m in!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • stainless0steel2
    stainless0steel2 Posts: 193
    edited March 2018
    This looks great. Very tempting. But I just don't spin vinyl like I used to so I got to think about it. Other thing that I am hesitating about is that I know this takes a while to produce and your time shouldn't be free. I appreciate you willing to take time to make it for free, but there's a reason they are $1K and up. For the quality of this thing you are spending quite a bit of time on it and you should get something for your time.

Could the seal be replaced with cork to make it more effective?

BTW, dental tools should be cleaned with an autoclave (high pressure steam) because they need to be sterilized. But I heard from some colleagues that dentists are typically very frugal and the joke is that they simply wipe tools with their gowns. :disappointed:

I should of mentioned the price in the title. It's $300 shipped.
    I make a 40% profit off these deals. And that's because it's all done in house and the material I buy at cost.
    I'm looking into using an o-rings this time. However i'll have to make some new jaws for the lathe to accommodate for the larger diameter.
    I've heard that they'll clean it with using the ultrasonic first and then the autoclave.
    Post edited by stainless0steel2 on
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    How long does one need to let it spin for the cleaning to be effective? Have a link to a recommended ultrasonic tank?

I'm currently using a spin clean, which is obviously not as effect as ultrasonic or a RCM. I rarely buy large collections anymore, so I'm cleaning a couple at a time max. Not very cost or time effective with fluid cost, clean-up etc. The ultrasonic sort of puts me in the same boat. Not that anything involving vinyl is cheap, but any idea what a single fill of the tank costs?
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    My tank has a heater and a max time of 20 minutes. I run at 35C and usually go the full 20 minutes. The spin clean would prolly make a good rinse tank after the US cleaning?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • If your going to ultrasonically clean just get rid of the spin clean all together. There's no need for it. Alot of guys will use a vacuum set up after words to help in the drying process.
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    would anyone who purchased from the previous 2 rounds be able to purchase the improved label protectors from you?
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    I’d be interested to see the recommended tank as well. I am very interested, just need to see what the total cost would be
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • maingey wrote: »
    would anyone who purchased from the previous 2 rounds be able to purchase the improved label protectors from you?
    Yes I can do that. I'll have to come up with a price first.
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I’d be interested to see the recommended tank as well. I am very interested, just need to see what the total cost would be
    Here's the one I've been using for almost two years now. It's been great.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/6L-Digital-Stainless-Steel-Ultra-Sonic-Bath-Cleaning-Tank-Cleaner-Timer-Heater-/162356373536
  • msg
    Brian, did I miss sumpin'?
    I remember you were kickin' around some ideas on the label seals, but did you ever come up with something on this? I may be interested in this as well.

For anyone on the fence with this kit, I have to say, I'm pretty picky about build quality these days. This is definitely not one of those P.O.S. "Designed in the USA Made in China" things. This is the real deal, high end worksmanship, and it's obvious when you get hands on it and start to use it and develop your cleaning process.

NO BURRS! B)
    maingey wrote: »
    I disabled signatures.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I got my ultrasonic cleaner from Brian's 2nd round. The build quality is exceptional!! I have cleaned more than 100 records over the past several months with great results. The surprise to me was how much better brand new vinyl sounded after it was cleaned.

Do not hesitate! Jump into this deal!

wa66bca6zya8.jpg
    1cdjjx3trivt.jpg
    soo14fscpt8d.jpg
    Carl

• msg wrote: »
    Brian, did I miss sumpin'?
    I remember you were kickin' around some ideas on the label seals, but did you ever come up with something on this? I may be interested in this as well.
    maingey wrote: »

Yes I think I've come across a better design that uses o-rings. That'll also be far more efficient to produce on the lathe.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    I've been using o-rings and they do protect the label better. It would be nice if the disks with the o-rings could be torqued together other than just pressing them together.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I was also one of the early adopters of Brian's rig. I've probably cleaned over 400 LP's, It's still going strong and works as advertised. Makes Cleaning Vinyl a breeze!
  • muncybob wrote: »
    I've been using o-rings and they do protect the label better. It would be nice if the disks with the o-rings could be torqued together other than just pressing them together.

Thank you guys for the kind words :)
    Yes I'd like to find something that could get a better compression on them. But I still haven't come across anything reasonable.
  • verb
    muncybob wrote: »

Thank you guys for the kind words :)
    Yes I'd like to find something that could get a better compression on them. But I still haven't come across anything reasonable.

I'm not familiar with your design, but it looks like a slip fit of the white discs to the shaft. Then the endcaps have a set screw to lock em down on the shaft.

I know this would be much more complicated for the lathe, but if the discs were actually threaded together that would allow much more torque and thus proper compression of the o-rings.

Sorry but I'm a ME by trade! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • stangman67
    Can the liquid remain in the tank for awhile or is it typical to drain after each use? I don’t have a big record collection, but I do plan on growing it with used vinyl as I find stuff. I wouldn’t want to fill up the tank and drain just to clean a few records

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Can the liquid remain in the tank for awhile or is it typical to drain after each use? I don’t have a big record collection, but I do plan on growing it with used vinyl as I find stuff. I wouldn’t want to fill up the tank and drain just to clean a few records

I'd say you can leave the fluid in the tank for a day or so, but a Gallon of Distilled Water is around $.99, a little over a buck to fill the tank...
  • verb
    Food for thought. Napkin sketch. Thread the shaft/discs as shown below. Use lock nuts or collets to secure and apply torque. Could even still use a set screw as you have to keep em in place. The remainder of the shaft would not have to be threaded, which would allow the records and discs to slide along the shaft easily, until they got to the threaded portion.
    chxsjtvl6ywr.png
  • msg
    Brian, I fear we may be making a discussion thread of your FS post.
    Wondering if maybe we should start a new thread and ref back to this one to start off?

Lots of good info, questions and ideas. I was about to post up re: leaving the solution in the tank and thought on the purpose of the original post.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    I hear ya @msg :smile: I apologize If it seems I may have jacked this thread. Just trying to help a Polkie brother out!
    Anyways this is a very interesting thread. @stainless0steel2 's invention is way cool, can't wait to get my hands on one!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    The disks with the gaskets have worked well for me. I do not have any wet labels.

Just as an FYI, when the ultrasonic is on, the water in the tank does not boil or splash in any way. The record rotates very slow,1/2 RPM IIRC. So the water on the record rolls through the grooves as the record revolves out of the tank.
    Carl

• stangman67
    After careful consideration, I am in!

• Yea let's migrate some of this over to my original thread in the "DIY." B)
  • I'm kinda surprised I thought there would be more than two by now. I need a minimum of eight orders to make this worthwhile.
  • verb
    You got me down for one correct?
  • Yep I've got you and stangman down B)
  • verb
    Bump for @stainless0steel2 !

All you vinyl clean freaks out there! What better way to keep em factory fresh! Plus it's just a really cool device! Need to get a few more on board in order to get a run going. How bout it? :smile: