Karma?

2»

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Yeah, I hate to say it, but I think they are right. Toss it.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Nah... Im always up for a challenge. Bring it on!
  • FestYboy
    For punishment? You bet!! :D
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Agree that this one is beyond hope, given the cost to fix versus risk
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Agree that this one is beyond hope, given the cost to fix versus risk

Test on cr@ppy speakers because likely something may blow
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Capacitor blew and started a fire, that the owner then used water to extinguish. Then it sat for an undetermined amount of time.

Then it was powered up again and started smoking. Now here it is.
  • mlistens03
    I think I’m out, number 75 is free for anyone to take.
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Random number generator will be ran this evening. Last call for anyone interested.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I knew something was wrong with the color of the PCB!

Just junk it @dr1978
    WLDock wrote: »

Eh, if someone finds value in it, no skin off my back. I can handle a trip to the UPS store.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    I would worry with the rust on the toroidal cap. I bought new old stock transformers from Parasound and came like that, due being a couple decades on a warehouse.

It’s funny, I had a Parasound dac arriving with the same problem. Two of the three transformers were ripped off the board from an impact during shipping. Luckily I pop the cover off before powering it.

That’s a great amp, totally fixable. I would inspect for anything shorting, probably the bottom of a board touching the chassis or small black heatsink touching resistor legs.

Power it again with a dim bulb tester to see here the smoke is coming from.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I'm going to respectfully remove myself. It does look like more than I'd want to tackle.
    Thanks for the option. Good karma to you!
  • FestYboy
    In with 4, why not.
  • dr1978
    @WLDock are you still in? #67 popped up, putting you first up. If so PM me your address and I'll get a shipping estimate.

Then la2vegas at 42 and festyboy at 4. I think everyone else has dropped out.
  • dr1978
    @WLDock interested?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2018
    PM'ed
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mlistens03
    Good luck fixing it!
  • JimKellyfan
    JimKellyfan Posts: 696
    yeah looks like something I would expect from fed ox/up in my neck a the woods / they delivered a package that said please place on front porch as address line 2 and merely dropped my wingtime hotsauce over a 3 foot fence on its side...at least I figured wally whirled packs 2 cases better than one and second go around the 3 foot drop on its side was more forgiving. hashtageverybottlebustedwith6nonewith12
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • WLDock
    Maybe he tossed it?
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dr1978
    Sorry for slacking wldock, it's been hectic around the house lately. I'll get back with you by Tuesday at the latest.
  • mlistens03
    Sorry to bump an old thread but @WLDock did you ever fix it? I would be interested to know, and probably others would be too.
  • WLDock
    edited May 2018
    I received it a few weeks ago and tore it apart the day I received it. The first sign of trouble was the fact that this thing took some major shock at some point. The AC power supply board with the four large caps has several (6-10?) cracks. Also, I can smell burnt electronics but could not see anything obvious. So, this one will take some time and it got put on my back burner. I still have inside house projects as well as the outside projects now that its finally warm. Also, I have two sub amps, and one maybe two AVRs to repair before it. I'll keep chipping away at it and will take my time trying to fix the board. Some spots are so bad that I will have to epoxy the board and band the traces. Its a long shot but it will be fun if I can get this thing going....however this is a pretty old amp and replacement part cost could add up quick so we'll see....Ill keep you guys updated.

uwu0xeyi4nkc.jpg

n6mxcldresxf.jpg
  • mlistens03
    WLDock wrote: »
    I received it a few weeks ago and tore it apart the day I received it. The first sign of trouble was the fact that this thing took some major shock at some point. The AC power supply board with the four large caps has several (6-10?) cracks. Also, I can smell burnt electronics but could not see anything obvious. So, this one will take some time and it got put on my back burner. I still have inside house projects as well as the outside projects now that its finally warm. Also, I have two sub amps, and one maybe two AVRs to repair before it. I'll keep chipping away at it and will take my time trying to fix the board. Some spots are so bad that I will have to epoxy the board and band the traces. Its a long shot but it will be fun if I can get this thing going....however this is a pretty old amp and replacement part cost could add up quick so we'll see....Ill keep you guys updated.

uwu0xeyi4nkc.jpg

n6mxcldresxf.jpg

Goodness, it looks pretty rough up close, good luck!