Review of Polk Signature Series S60 Speakers

13»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    It's all about the $$$ when it comes to AV gear. Yes you can find good used equipment at times.

If you got the money Parasound is one way to go. Every time I hear a system setup with one of their amps it's a joy. I you don't have the coin the Emotive is not a bad choice.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ok its all set up cables and everything are all cleaned up. It looks slick a little worried about burying that center tower but so far no issues with it affecting the sound that I can tell. Yet. I had no other options for placementuixnk9wtp1ud.jpg
    emsukqojufmd.jpg
    . It does look slick tho cant wait for the day I slap a bigger TV or projector up theyre. Tired tho but it was worth it now on to Subwoofers! Lol
  • DSkip wrote: »
    It definitely doesnt look out of place and that's big for a floor standing center. One suggestion I would make is to square up that rug. If you do that it should help your right channel sound quality substantially.
    Thanks skip yeah I definitely need to start fixing up acoustical room treatments and that rug is next to do just gotta do some moving stuff around on furniture to do that and some other room treatments as well. Hope you've been well thanks for all the good advice!

• cfrizz wrote: »
    Good morning Dan.

What Polk gives you are guidelines to use.

All of my speakers are powered by a 405wpc Sunfire amp. That doesn't mean that the amp is putting out all of those watts all the time. But the power is available to be used by the speakers during intense movie/music sections when a receiver would simply over strain itself trying to give the speakers what they need.

The speakers will only take what they need, but the power has to be there for them to take it. Hence that's why I generally recommend 200wpc minimum because I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

Hey thanks for the advice cfrizz really appreciate it
  • mrloren wrote: »
    It's all about the $$$ when it comes to AV gear. Yes you can find good used equipment at times.

If you got the money Parasound is one way to go. Every time I hear a system setup with one of their amps it's a joy. I you don't have the coin the Emotive is not a bad choice.

Yeah man Parasound keeps getting brought up since subs and a better reciever are next I gotta plenty of time to set back the coin for those. And I really like the Emotiva 11 channel configurable for 2k? Since I like home theater a little more then music that one is right up they're too. That's all your setup for a future surround upgrade for that amount? like you said a great starting off one for sure. Thanks for all the input also a shout out to you Halo thanks for all the good advice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    That's 200wpc cfrizz.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

Yup, that's it!!!! :D It's been rocking my system for over 10 years!

That's a cool article, thanks for posting it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Yeah. So it's 405wpc. Not sure why Jesse said 200wpc.
    cfrizz wrote: »

• F1nut
    Yeah. So it's 405wpc. Not sure why Jesse said 200wpc.

'Cause she's known as 200wpc cfrizz 'round here.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Hah, I get it now.
    F1nut wrote: »
    'Cause she's known as 200wpc cfrizz 'round here.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2018
    You see ever since I got a Parasound 1500A 205wpc amp, it was my first real amp that I got to drive LSI's that I was thinking of getting. Once I heard how great they made my RTA-8Ts sound I forgot all about the LSIs.

Since that time all the way back in 2004, I have consistently recommended that if you are going to get an amp, get one with at least 200wpc. This seems to be where everyone is able to hear a clear and distinct improvement to their speakers.

When I first came on this board, the guys were all experimenting with different power amps. They'd start out with 75wpc, then go up to 125wpc etc. I bypassed all the experimenting and went straight to the Parasound, and stayed there until I got my Sunfire. In the meantime, someone discovered tubes and talked half the club into jumping on the band wagon. Then there were massive debates between tube power vs SS power and how tubes were better and on and on, then someone discovered vinyl.... :o

The bottom line is some of the guys are into experimenting with every piece of gear they can get their hands on if their wallets allow, and that's fine. But I don't believe everyone that comes on here new necessarily feels the same way

The advice I give is because I want everyone to have a system that operates to its full potential right from the get go. I believe in doing it once, doing it right, then sitting back and enjoying what you have put together. If you want to experiment, there are plenty on here that will help you do so. We love spending other peoples money! :D

My philosophy about audio and Jesse and company philosophy sometimes tends to clash. My advice has remained consistent from 2004. Will your system operate with less power, of course it will. It simply depends on what you want to accomplish, how much money you want to spend, and whether or not you are in this hobby to go through gear experimenting or simply want to sit back and enjoy.

About the only thing Jesse and I agree on is that we both dislike B&W speakers!

There is plenty of room for both philosophies on here.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
    You see ever since I got a Parasound 1500A 205wpc amp, it was my first real amp that I got to drive LSI's that I was thinking of getting. Once I heard how great they made my RTA-8Ts sound I forgot all about the LSIs.

Since that time all the way back in 2004, I have consistently recommended that if you are going to get an amp, get one with at least 200wpc. This seems to be where everyone is able to hear a clear and distinct improvement to their speakers.

When I first came on this board, the guys were all experimenting with different power amps. They'd start out with 75wpc, then go up to 125wpc etc. I bypassed all the experimenting and went straight to the Parasound, and stayed there until I got my Sunfire. In the meantime, someone discovered tubes and talked half the club into jumping on the band wagon. Then there were massive debates between tube power vs SS power and how tubes were better and on and on, then someone discovered vinyl.... :o

The bottom line is some of the guys are into experimenting with every piece of gear they can get their hands on if their wallets allow, and that's fine. But I don't believe everyone that comes on here new necessarily feels the same way

The advice I give is because I want everyone to have a system that operates to its full potential right from the get go. I believe in doing it once, doing it right, then sitting back and enjoying what you have put together. If you want to experiment, there are plenty on here that will help you do so. We love spending other peoples money! :D

My philosophy about audio and Jesse and company philosophy sometimes tends to clash. My advice has remained consistent from 2004. Will your system operate with less power, of course it will. It simply depends on what you want to accomplish, how much money you want to spend, and whether or not you are in this hobby to go through gear experimenting or simply want to sit back and enjoy.

About the only thing Jesse and I agree on is that we both dislike B&W speakers!

There is plenty of room for both philosophies on here.

Actually that's something that you me and Jesse can all agree on I've never been crazy about the B&W speakers either just cannot get into there sound. So get everything all out from the get go huh? I like the way you think cfrizz Scotty we need more power to the warp drive!!! I'm giving her all she's got Captain!!!! Lol

That's a cool article, thanks for posting it.

Woooow cfrizz just read that article about your amp congratulations. I can't even imagine how sweet that sounds
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Not all amps sound the same (to me anyway & I've owned quite a few). There is merit in tube amps if that's the sound you're after and it's usually different from what a solid state amp will give you.

Which sound signature you prefer @danzilla31 only you can say and you can only say that after you've heard more than one amp from more than one manufacturer. Parasound has a different sound than B&K and Rotel is different from both of those (to my ears). I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, just that they're different. If they all sounded the same, why would anyone bother buying something from brand C or brand D, when brand A will get you there for le$$?

Another way to get you the "tube" sound is to have a tube preamp in the chain ahead of your power amp. Some on the forum believe the brand and type of cables you have can improve, alter, or detract from your systems capabilities (I'm not saying that I believe they do or don't because that usually sparks a debate - you can try different cables and determine that for yourself :smile: ). Your listening environment will play the largest part in the sound your setup can/will provide. Room treatments, measurements, DSP, etc will have a significant impact on the sound your hear.

There is a lot of gear out there. Part of the fun in this hobby is to discover, for yourself, what sound you prefer. What kind of gear is going to make you want to listen to your system? What kind of gear is going to allow you to enjoy your setup?

Yes, lol, we like to help people spend money. But, we also love to get people to their audio nirvana too!

Cheers!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    While I appreciate your intentions and genuine interest in helping people achieve audio bliss, I do question a few of your points/methods.

Granted, it does matter if someone is interested in primarily HT vs. 2 channel music, as well as their room size, but I think it's tricky to automatically say that "more watts=better." It's too easy for someone who's new to high end audio reproduction to see posts about 125-200watts being a "sweet spot", and then put way too much emphasis on wattage being the most important factor when choosing an amplifier.

I know this, because I myself was influenced this way when I was getting back on the forum in October and November of last year. I wanted to upgrade the fidelity and resolution of my stereo system, and I was researching a TON of posts and would come across posts from you and others praising higher wattage amps as being the ideal goal.

I was using a 40wpc integrated, so I kept thinking "Well that won't do! Only 40!" and in retrospect now I'm realizing that overall wpc has very little to do with the sound that you're going to get from a speaker and amplifier combination.

I bought and returned (primarily because of transformer buzzing issues) a 125wpc McCormack, but before I did, I auditioned it and I did not find it's sound signature to be any better or different than my current 40wpc amp. By the more watts=better approach, I should've loved the McCormack.

I then went to a 50wpc setup and I was noticing a positive difference vs the 40wpc. Clearly it's not the 10 additional watts that caused this, but the design and implementation of the components inside the amplifier, as well as overall system synergy.

So, I was able to get to what I'm perceiving as "audio bliss" by only making a slight increase in wpc, but a dramatic difference in amplifier design. So I just want people who are new and reading this to realize that wattage can end up meaning very little, and that you may have to try a few different pieces before you decide what sounds best to your ears.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I like my little Emotiva amp. Only other amps I've spent time with are friend had an XPA5 which was nice, tried to sell it to me but I didn't have the coin. Now he has an A51 that sounds good even on the "K" horn speakers he has it hooked too.

I was over at his house the other day and I still can't tell that much of a difference from the old XPA to the A51, then again he does have it driving horn speakers (sinner). I keep trying for him to loan it to me when he goes out of town, I guess he is scared I will go Deebo on him. "It's mine"

I did a lot of upgrades last year to my HT system. My next big drop will be a big amp, who knows when that will be.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    I believe in doing it once, doing it right,

But, you haven't done it just once.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mrloren wrote: »
    I like my little Emotiva amp. Only other amps I've spent time with are friend had an XPA5 which was nice, tried to sell it to me but I didn't have the coin. Now he has an A51 that sounds good even on the "K" horn speakers he has it hooked too.

I was over at his house the other day and I still can't tell that much of a difference from the old XPA to the A51, then again he does have it driving horn speakers (sinner). I keep trying for him to loan it to me when he goes out of town, I guess he is scared I will go Deebo on him. "It's mine"

I did a lot of upgrades last year to my HT system. My next big drop will be a big amp, who knows when that will be.

The reason why you can't hear much of a difference between the XPA/A51, is the horns are probably very efficient. Big SS amps need to be put under a load to sound their best, which horns really don't do. Some tubes would make those horns sound pretty darn good imho. Think about it, for your next step.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo wrote: »
    Not all amps sound the same (to me anyway & I've owned quite a few). There is merit in tube amps if that's the sound you're after and it's usually different from what a solid state amp will give you.

Which sound signature you prefer @danzilla31 only you can say and you can only say that after you've heard more than one amp from more than one manufacturer. Parasound has a different sound than B&K and Rotel is different from both of those (to my ears). I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, just that they're different. If they all sounded the same, why would anyone bother buying something from brand C or brand D, when brand A will get you there for le$$?

Another way to get you the "tube" sound is to have a tube preamp in the chain ahead of your power amp. Some on the forum believe the brand and type of cables you have can improve, alter, or detract from your systems capabilities (I'm not saying that I believe they do or don't because that usually sparks a debate - you can try different cables and determine that for yourself :smile: ). Your listening environment will play the largest part in the sound your setup can/will provide. Room treatments, measurements, DSP, etc will have a significant impact on the sound your hear.

There is a lot of gear out there. Part of the fun in this hobby is to discover, for yourself, what sound you prefer. What kind of gear is going to make you want to listen to your system? What kind of gear is going to allow you to enjoy your setup?

Yes, lol, we like to help people spend money. But, we also love to get people to their audio nirvana too!

Cheers!

I gotta agree with you man Ive had a lotta fun just trying stuff out so I'm looking forward to when I get amps experimenting with things until I find what fits for me. Hah! I bet my first pair of amps will definitely not be my last! Lol