2.3 for center channell bi amped on 5x425?

Comments

• SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    SDA1C wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »
    Don't you need the interconnect cable for the sub bass drivers to work? Or is the non-TL different?

If bi amped i belive you do. If not they will work without the ic.

No i think you are wrong. This is not a blade/blade interconnect and it's a 4th generation SDA.
    Youre probably right. I vaguly remeber them acting up without the ic when first bi amping but cant remember exactly.
    Too much **** to list....
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    FestYboy wrote: »
    No, there is no analog delay in the SDA circuit. Your ears cannot distinguish the miniscule delay that occurs between the left signal and the right SDA signs (at the speed of light (186k mps), 15ft is nothing. And there won't be an image width change on a center channel signal seeing that both speakers are seeing the exact same signal, AND they'll be right next to each other.

Since the time compensation is from the driver to the ear its speed of sound not speed of light...the second half of your response answers my question though. Thanks. So effetively the ic is not needed and I could make a tv stand out of them on their sides end to end.

Any analog time compensation would have to happen pre driver, so speed of light still stands there. The arc distance between the main and SDA drivers isn't enough to cause any detectable delay either. The reason SDA works is through controlled signal cancelation at the ear, hence the narrow sweet spot.

As far as using the 2.3s as a tv stand, you'd want to go top to top with the SDA drivers above the tweets And then slightly tilt both cabinets upward. This will help time align the coils to your ear, much like how the RTA 12s work.

Personally, I would think that if you're looking for a CC, selling the 2.3s to someone who might appreciate what they can do should net you decent funds to aquire a more appropriate unit for your situation/need.

If you would, could you post a link of the front stage equipment you're running? I'm having trouble visualizing the package.
  • SDA1C
    Got it! Hold on...time alignment would be through signal process would it not? I get the aiming part but was thinking bottom to bottom to widen the image and hopefully gain sub pressure. I could post a link but nothing is moved yet so all it is is a set of 2.3 and a cs350 approx 6 ft apart. Driven biamped from carver 5x425 and tgp3 ps4 and oppo source. Id like to put 4 k12 qsc and 2 kw18 subs in the mix xlr from the tgp. Room is 24x36x8 after a wall(and the wifes library) is removed.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Anybody remember the one fellow that had the SDA hanging sideways over a doorway?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I'm having trouble visualizing the package.

;)
  • SDA1C
    Anybody remember the one fellow that had the SDA hanging sideways over a doorway?

No but i remember the air hole and black paint.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    If you've moved beyond SDA's sell them to someone who will enjoy them.!

You can use them as a center (I.C. connected or not) if you want but it's a waste.

When you feed SDA's a monaural signal (as there is no left & right channel in a center channel signal) they will produce a dead centered sound stage with no width even with the I.C. connected and 8ft apart.

Try this hook them up to as your front left and right the play a monaural source and see what happens.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    z32k4j7265vp.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • FestYboy
    Got it! Hold on...time alignment would be through signal process would it not? I get the aiming part but was thinking bottom to bottom to widen the image and hopefully gain sub pressure. I could post a link but nothing is moved yet so all it is is a set of 2.3 and a cs350 approx 6 ft apart. Driven biamped from carver 5x425 and tgp3 ps4 and oppo source. Id like to put 4 k12 qsc and 2 kw18 subs in the mix xlr from the tgp. Room is 24x36x8 after a wall(and the wifes library) is removed.

Time alignment can be done through processing before the amp digitally or analog in a bi or tri amp setup, but that imparts more carp into the signal path.... So, to fix that, builders would strive to place the driver coils in a common centerline so that the distance of each coil to the listener's ear is the same. (Look at focal's Utopia speakers as a good example of multi driver time alignment). Another way to achieve the same result is what Tannoy and a few others have done: stack all the coils within the same magnet structure, thus having a point source, full range speaker with an XO and multiple drivers.

As for "widening" the image, that would defeat the purpose of a CC (an anchor point) and muddy the L and R signals by having (essentially) the CC right next to the other channels, plus, if the listener is off center there would be a delay or slight echo due to the more extreme distance between the lateral edges of the speakers.

I hope that all makes sense.
  • SDA1C
    Gimpod and festyboy. Thanks for the facts and straight forwad info. So much easier that way. Ill definitely consider selling tge 2.3, 1c, 11t and 5jr+. I am more into powered cabs these days and rarely even turn on the livingroom anymore. 2.3 are near mint, 2 cat snags(rotten ****) 1c are modded studios. Any idea on value? Spokane marketplace prices.
  • FestYboy
    edited March 2018
    West coast strikes again (curses).

...inside joke, sorry.

I didn't see that you had 11Ts... (I don't see signs on my phone) maybe if you doubled those up (standing)? They should keep up fairly well.

I would confer with @la2vegas about pricing in your area, east coast numbers wouldn't work for you.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Would a single CRS work much better as a center to a pair of 2.3's? If you were looking to maintain a timbre match.
  • SDA1C
    Yea lots for sale here. Mostly beat up on cl. Spoke to indy john a while back, he said amp prices have dropped so I assume speaks have as well. At this point it sounds like less hassle to move the tgp to the pool room and play with it there...l6vehz9693gz.jpg
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    My head just popped off my shoulders trying to grasp the concept of this
  • SDA1C
    lightman1 wrote: »

Cool!
  • SDA1C
    gmcman wrote: »
    Would a single CRS work much better as a center to a pair of 2.3's? If you were looking to maintain a timbre match.

Not trying to match the 2.3. Thats easy. Trying to integrate 8k watt of qsc powered cabs and need a robust center that will keep up. I have a cs350 on 425 8ohn paired withthe 2.3
  • lightman1

Cool!

I would have taken a picture, but the separation of head from body made it difficult to get both in the frame.
  • lightman1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Cool!

I would have taken a picture, but the separation of head from body made it difficult to get both in the frame.

Here's a pic
    noqo7nwktjz6.gif

Close! It was more of a pop and roll that wound up under the bed.
  • FestYboy
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Cool!

Here's a pic
    noqo7nwktjz6.gif

Eww :s
  • SDA1C
    Lightman. He still has fingers. Your argument is invalid.
  • lightman1
    I still have my middle finger left...... B)<3
  • FestYboy
    Give the 11Ts a try... A CRS would be like a cricket at a rock concert...
  • SDA1C
    Lm and clearly you arent affraid to use it.
    Fb subs alone are 132 db. 11t dont stand a chance. Lol
  • lightman1
    I'll rescue your 11t. Say the word.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Lm and clearly you arent affraid to use it.
    Fb subs alone are 132 db. 11t dont stand a chance. Lol

You'll be deaf in less than a year.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SDA1C
    What?
  • SDA1C
    jcsztqa5b2tx.jpg
    l99s3j30jd6h.jpg
  • SDA1C
    Not supposed to post without a price....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Not supposed to post without a price....

Who said anything about money, rescue is a heroic gesture
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a