Another speaker stand build

Options
2»

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Because that is the recommended method. It was explained to me once in great detail by the owner of a speaker company after which I was convinced he knew what he was talking about.
    It seems counter intuitive to me.
    Hmmm, I don't know much, but my theory is that if you couple the speaker to the stand (or shelf, or whatever), any resonance created by the speaker is transferred to the other object and has an effect on the sound. Since the speaker designer has no idea what the speaker may be in contact with, they can't account for it in the design. By decoupling the speaker from the stand, you only hear the speaker. Maybe that's a bunch of bunk, but it works for me. Based on all the solutions out there, it seems like it's common to decouple bookshelf speakers from their stands, so that's the model I'm trying to follow. I guess it can't hurt to experiment, however, so maybe I'll try and evaluate both options.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Because that is the recommended method. It was explained to me once in great detail by the owner of a speaker company after which I was convinced he knew what he was talking about.
    It seems counter intuitive to me.
    Hmmm, I don't know much, but my theory is that if you couple the speaker to the stand (or shelf, or whatever), any resonance created by the speaker is transferred to the other object and has an effect on the sound. Since the speaker designer has no idea what the speaker may be in contact with, they can't account for it in the design. By decoupling the speaker from the stand, you only hear the speaker. Maybe that's a bunch of bunk, but it works for me. Based on all the solutions out there, it seems like it's common to decouple bookshelf speakers from their stands, so that's the model I'm trying to follow. I guess it can't hurt to experiment, however, so maybe I'll try and evaluate both options.

Nope, that's basically it.

It's about the transfer of energy.

It's also why you add mass. You want your stand to be like setting the speaker on the ground. It doesn't have enough energy to vibrate the earth. But it might for a stand (hence the reason I used black pipe for mine). So you make the stand heavy/dead enough that the speaker behaves like it's sitting on the ground.

Two ways you do that.

One, mass. Make it big and heavy so that the speaker is incapable of vibrating it.

Two, density. If you can't make it big and heavy, make it dense by adding damping material like sand or shot or even concrete. That will make things pack real tight in the voids and that makes all the dissimilar materials act like one big damping apparatus. It will tame the vibrations and kill any resonances because the different materials have different resonance points. Those points overlap and they cancel each other out...well more like damp each other. It's the whole idea behind Polk's Dynamic Balance tech.

Anyway, by decoupling the speaker from the stand, you further reduce the transferred energy. Transferred energy is wasted energy and it can detract from the performance of the speaker. If the speaker moves around when playing then there is energy going into moving the speaker instead of playing sound. If the speaker is on a stand, it might not be moving around but it might be moving that stand and wasting energy moving the stand. So make it so it can't move the stand and further help it out by making it so it can't physically act on the stand because of whatever damping material you put between it and the stand.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Interesting perspectives by all.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It's not a perspective, it's physics. There's actual science around it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    Yeah, and he slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;)
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    It's not a perspective, it's physics. There's actual science around it.

I wasn't questioning the science.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mdaudioguy
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Finished! I'm pleased with the results. 30.75" tall, and despite being constructed of wood and vinyl, they weigh in at 28.2 lbs each, thanks to a generous helping of audiophile-grade sand. :)
    u9mwmbwirvpp.jpg
    qalpri057yv1.jpg
    454iebrxngjp.jpg
    jnnpxuieqbc3.jpg
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Loving the T screws, that's a super clean look.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I see you found the black paint

They look great
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    Well. that's just great, now I'm going to have to write a fictional story about "Ed Stands". Thanks for ruining next weekend for me!

Nice stands, very professional looking.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Stands look good!

I don't think that's black paint, looks similar just not true black. :p
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Options
    Very nice job.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Note the perfect hair
    42cbeo6nmtmw.gif
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    Thanks guys! Still plugging away at this room. The ceiling isn't yet finished... but somehow the stands got prioritized ahead of that. ;)
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    So much blackness.
    sxmbgf2u7x1b.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Very nice!
    I too can never throw surplus parts away, as there is always a use for them. Every so often I get vindicated by not having to run to the store to pick up an esoteric fastener or something. Well done sir! :smile:

BTW, did you paint the oak, or stain it?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Very nice!
    I too can never throw surplus parts away, as there is always a use for them. Every so often I get vindicated by not having to run to the store to pick up an esoteric fastener or something. Well done sir! :smile:

BTW, did you paint the oak, or stain it?

Thank you. Spray paint - gloss for the posts and satin for the wood. I do like how the grain shows through.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    I might have missed it in a previous post, it's been awhile since I read this thread, but what are the two holes for in the top plate of each stand? Are the speakers bolted to the top plates, similar to a "Foundation Mount"? Also, is the wall the same color as your shirt?
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    The speakers have 8mm threaded mounting holes, and I wanted to use them, since the speakers are somewhat in the open. You know, just in case. As discussed earlier in this thread, I still wanted the speakers to remain decoupled from the stands as much as possible. Some neoprene washers and o-rings did the trick. The walls are probably in the same spectrum as my shirt, but this pillow is a closer match.
    m51f230ppn4g.jpg
  • Hermitism
    Options
    The walls are probably in the same spectrum as my shirt, but this pillow is a closer match.
    When you stand against the wall I bet you look just like the killer that blended into the wall in the movie "When A Stranger Calls Back".
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    Beautiful job thanks for sharing
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Nice job man! I might make myself something like this if I ever get some nice bookshelves... great idea.
    Once again, good job!
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    Great job! can you please explain your paint process. I like to see the grain texture.
    Thanks
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    cortico wrote: »
    Great job! can you please explain your paint process. I like to see the grain texture.
    Thanks
    Nothing special, really - unfinished oak and several light coats of Krylon satin black!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    They turned out very nice, good work!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited March 2018
    Options
    satin black!

WHERE!?!WHERE DID YOU GET IT!
  • mdaudioguy