My loss your gain...

kharp1
kharp1 Posts: 3,453
edited March 2018 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Selling the PS Audio Transport and DAC I just purchased from JoeyV a couple of weeks ago. I like it so much I'm moving up the PS Audio ladder. It is the Perfectwave Transport and Perfectwave DAC II with full Bridge II upgrade ($3000). I love the sound. It has a great stage and depth and place with a certain sense of "gracefulness." I paid $4500 plus $200 shipping (packed and insured by Fedex). Asking $4000 plus PP fees and shipping. Actual shipping will be less as I can repack in the material already paid for in first shipment.

For those interested I can send pics. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Wow! I have to quote @tonyb on this one:
    wuimvteu4yx2.png
    How true! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    Well, I'm in Louisville Kentucky, and, tough we are a destination for all things Bourbon and horse racing, we are not a place that has any audio dealers. Even our Magnolia only carried the run of the mill selection. If I want to try something I have to travel somewhere out of town to hear it, or, buy it and try it at home. This combo was priced close enough to right for me to try. Now I know I like what it brings to the table and want to move up their food chain. That's the price of living in a place where Bourbon is cheap and the women are cheaper!
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Sir I would like to set up a payment plan :)
  • kharp1
    Well, send me a PM with your terms, lets see what we can make happen.
  • verb
    Sorry Kerry meant no offense. :smile: I’m just jealous!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    verb wrote: »
    Sorry Kerry meant no offense. :smile: I’m just jealous!

Offense? I took no offense in that. Just a sad reality of living in a place like Louisville. Plus, I'm impatient and lazy. Easier to buy one and then sell it. Plus, it drives Skip a little crazy, which I consider an added bonus.

I will admit that it does appear somewhat neurotic buying something and then selling it two weeks later.
  • verb
    I hear ya. And thanks. It took me less than 2 months to roll my Carver TFM35x and upgrade to a CJ. Newbies ya know. :smile:
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    I thought the DAC was the Perfect Wave DAC that had the DirectStream upgrade? So essentially it is the Latest PS Audio DAC?
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    i'll trade you a pair of usher md2's in enzo red for the dac :p
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • kharp1
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    I thought the DAC was the Perfect Wave DAC that had the DirectStream upgrade? So essentially it is the Latest PS Audio DAC?

Not quite. It is the MKII with the Bridge II upgrade, so, it's pretty close. The transport is not at Directstream potential. Sure, you can make it a Directstream, but, that requires taking out all the boards and upgrading them to the Directstream. The Directstream transport uses an Oppo drive where the PW uses the Asus. The PW will not play SACD only discs. IF you have a hybrid disc it will play it in PCM. Having said that, it will play most every disc I have and sounds great. Incredible ambience and stage and it does it with a sense of smooth gracefulness. There's a lot to like about it. That's why I want the full PSA experience.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    marvda1 wrote: »

He knows he can do better
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    marvda1 wrote: »

I thought I had a pair of those...let me check my inventory. :)
  • sgmsmg
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Not quite. It is the MKII with the Bridge II upgrade, so, it's pretty close. The transport is not at Directstream potential. Sure, you can make it a Directstream, but, that requires taking out all the boards and upgrading them to the Directstream. The Directstream transport uses an Oppo drive where the PW uses the Asus. The PW will not play SACD only discs. IF you have a hybrid disc it will play it in PCM. Having said that, it will play most every disc I have and sounds great. Incredible ambience and stage and it does it with a sense of smooth gracefulness. There's a lot to like about it. That's why I want the full PSA experience.

I understand the transport is just the Perfect Wave. What I am referring to is the DAC. In Joey's for sale thread he describes that the DAC was upgraded to the Direct Stream ($3000). The Bridge II is only a $900 upgrade. Are you selling a difference DAC or the one that Joey sold?
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
  • kharp1
    This is the same one that I just got from Joey.
  • sgmsmg
    This is the same one that I just got from Joey.

Then the DAC already has the Direct Stream upgrade:
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Alright, I'm going to start posting this up for sale, before I change my mind. If I didn't have the Emm stack, this would be staying. There is an update (free) available for this that is supposedly to take it up a notch and I would be very interested in what the next owner thinks once he/she updates it to Red Cloud (it is currently Huron).

Part of me is interested in the update to evaluate sonics, but I have learned that the enemy of good is better, so I'm not gonna touch it.

This was previously a PS Audio Perfect Wave 2 DAC, and then it was upgraded to the full Directstream unit (hardware upgrade). The PWT connects best via an HDMI cable.

I am not including the Audioquest Diamond HDMI cable with the unit at this time as I think I am losing too much.

As for price:
    I am asking for $4500 firm. I don't think that's asking even close what the market bears on audiogon or AA so I am losing out on some money on this.

Here are the links to the new units:
    PSA Directstream DAC
    PSA Perfectwave Transport Memory Player
    AQ Diamond HDMI

For reference, here is the cost to upgrade the PW2 Dac to the DS Dac:
    DS Upgrade kit
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Agreed... you just need the new DirectStream transport. The DAC is already at TOTL spec.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    This is true, but, if I get $4k out of these I'll just purchase a brand new combo. I like it and want a brand new combo that's never been molested by anyone other than me.
  • marvda1
    This is true, but, if I get $4k out of these I'll just purchase a brand new combo. I like it and want a brand new combo that's never been molested by anyone other than me.

are you trying to say you found joey stains on the equipment :/
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • kharp1
    I wasn't sure they were Joey's, and, I didn't want to cast him in a negative light with him being a respected member of the medical community and all. :/
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I wasn't sure they were Joey's, and, I didn't want to cast him in a negative light with him being a respected member of the medical community and all. :/
    It has been said that Joey is the Rodney Dangerfield of the AMA.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    sgmsmg wrote: »

I understand the transport is just the Perfect Wave. What I am referring to is the DAC. In Joey's for sale thread he describes that the DAC was upgraded to the Direct Stream ($3000). The Bridge II is only a $900 upgrade. Are you selling a difference DAC or the one that Joey sold?

Yes, I should have said the upgrade to Directstream is $3k plus the Bridge II is $900. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    There is no way this is not a DS DAC, confirmed by PS Audio.

The only difference between this PW2 upgraded to DS and a stock DS is a sticker and the screen (cannot upgrade the screen).

I would not sell this to buy a new DS, Kerry.

IF you do, then someone will get an even better deal than you did.

And no, those are not my stains you sick sick people.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    I'm having forensics done right now to verify those claims.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I'm having forensics done right now to verify those claims.

Have them check for plaid DNA.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Well, send me a PM with your terms, lets see what we can make happen.
    Tempting, but just not the right time.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    $4000 for this stack? This is a DS dac. You can make money elsewhere but here this is a give away

GLWS Kerry

Seems like Kerry is wanting a brand new stack, it’s $8000 at the least. The only upside is a full DS transport to do sacd and Dsd, and the external screen of the dac is different but the sound is gonna be same or indistinguishable to my ears Atleast.

Someone is gonna come out happy here.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    After speaking with Joey and PS Audio I've decided to trade in the transport for a brand new Memory player. The great folks at PSA made me an incredible offer that I didn't want to pass up.

Joey was very helpful through this whole deal and went above and beyond, from having to lug it back and forth to FedEx multiple times to providing documentation and correspondence. Only negative is one pair of the white gloves was missing, so, I can only assume he needed a pair to go with those snazzy shorts!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Glad the PS Audio trade up program worked out for you.
  • marvda1
    double hint,hint
    Puritan PSM156
  • kharp1
    They went way beyond to get me in the new memory player. Skip, you hush up.