New 1C Purchase Questions

13»

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Last thing was to install spikes bought here:
    https://meniscusaudio.com/product/mirror-image-pts-gold/
    I started by removing the plastic feet on the bottom cap. Then I drilled a 7/32" hole, sprayed a little water in it, added a drop of Guerilla glue, then screwed in the stud. This anchors them in solid. cqqel85fewl3.jpeg
    9of6k1elwz15.jpeg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Any glue that foams creating air bubbles in it cannot make a good bond. Throw that stuff away and next time try 5 minute epoxy.

The spikes do look good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    The expansion actually allows it to penetrate the pores in the wood and fill any gaps in the studs' threads. I've used this stuff on a boat I restored and it is wicked strong. Epoxy would have been a PITA because I needed such a small amount in each hole. I may use epoxy to anchor the spike bases to the cap though. Haven't decided if that's necessary yet.

I like these spikes because you can tilt the speakers back and unscrew the points, get placement dialed in, then reinstall.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited February 2018
    On similar speaker bottoms I have just ran a bolt/washer through from inside the cabinet and tightened down good and tight on the same spikes. I buy mine in 1/4" x 20tpi pattern and just buy some new bolts instead of the threaded rod sent with.
  • audioluvr
    verb wrote: »
    Hey I noticed you put some dynamat on the brace in between the MW's. Never seen that before. Is that recommended?

I tapped along the cabinet area looking for potential resonance points and found that and in the center of the 4 drivers as questionable. May have been unnecessary but WTH. Can't hurt right??? :#
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Well finally got my crossovers back from @westmassguy and after getting them hooked up correctly... (Thanks Dave. What would we do without you) I've been running them low volume 24/7 to burn in the new components and the dreadnaught. First impressions are VERY good! I'm noticing things like the ring of piano keys sounding like the piano is in the living room with me. I know how this sounds because, up until recently, there was a piano in here. Details in strings and drums are present now. I wasn't alone during my initial audition but I actually had to turn it down on the first track of Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite because everyone, including myself, jumped. These put out more sound than the Klipsch KG4's I replaced them with! Hopefully this weekend I can give them a more thorough review.

epl1hi6tmmbt.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    What do ya have on the RH wall under cover? Looks like it could be a motorcycle? Only asking because many years ago I keep my brand new 1978 Triumph Bonneville in the kitchen.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    What do ya have on the RH wall under cover? Looks like it could be a motorcycle? Only asking because many years ago I keep my brand new 1978 Triumph Bonneville in the kitchen.

I used to keep my brand new 1978 Pontiac Bonneville in the kitchen.

uc4kd9r81alx.jpg
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Well finally got my crossovers back from @westmassguy and after getting them hooked up correctly... (Thanks Dave. What would we do without you) I've been running them low volume 24/7 to burn in the new components and the dreadnaught. First impressions are VERY good! I'm noticing things like the ring of piano keys sounding like the piano is in the living room with me. I know how this sounds because, up until recently, there was a piano in here. Details in strings and drums are present now. I wasn't alone during my initial audition but I actually had to turn it down on the first track of Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite because everyone, including myself, jumped. These put out more sound than the Klipsch KG4's I replaced them with! Hopefully this weekend I can give them a more thorough review.

epl1hi6tmmbt.jpg

My Pleasure Sir.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • audioluvr
    edited March 2018

It's a Keyston Saddle.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Dreadnought will allow you to use any non-common ground amp including mono blocks. The sound is vastly improved using the Dreadnought even with common ground amps.
    Guess I need to get off my lazy azz and get to building mine...

Yes you do John! ;)
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    F1nut wrote: »
    What do ya know, I was right again. After you upgrade the 1C's think about moving to something other than Carver SS power, you'll thank me.

As arrogant as ever. Love your knowledge Jesse...You and heind end hang out often? Lol
    Too much **** to list....
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited March 2018
    I too went down the Carver path. Had 2 M1.0t's, moved to a TFM35x, and with a little enabling and tutelage from Polkies here went down the rabbit hole with a Conrad Johnson MF2300A. All I can say is wow! What a difference!

And yes, @F1nut Father Jesse was right! :smile:
    Post edited by verb on
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    I took went down

HAHAHA That reminds me of the SCTV skit about the "Western Redundancy Playhouse Theater" where the actors say things two ways, like is common in many old westerns in an attempt to sound more "western", I suppose. :p

"Hey wife-woman. Git-hop into the kitchen-pantry and fix-cook-up a heaping-mess of food-vittles for that baby-child."
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I took went down

HAHAHA That reminds me of the SCTV skit about the "Western Redundancy Playhouse Theater" where the actors say things two ways, like is common in many old westerns in an attempt to sound more "western", I suppose. :p

"Hey wife-woman. Git-hop into the kitchen-pantry and fix-cook-up a heaping-mess of food-vittles for that baby-child."

Foiled again! Got me Jimmy! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64

When I'm editing, I constantly see remnants of ideas and phrases that didn't quite get deleted. Trust me. You are in excellent company. :)
  • verb

When I'm editing, I constantly see remnants of ideas and phrases that didn't quite get deleted. Trust me. You are in excellent company. :)

I just wanted to see if you were still out there! Yeah right. :smile:
  • audioluvr
    I too went down the Carver path. Had 2 M1.0t's, moved to a TFM35x, and with a little enabling and tutelage from Polkies here went down the rabbit hole with a Conrad Johnson MF2300A. All I can say is wow! What a difference!

Ya, ya, ya. Maybe I'm not playing my music loud enough... Since having my 1.0 rebuild done, there is a HUGE improvement from how it sounded prior. BUT. You rotten bastadges are making me look. Damn it! Just really hesitant to spend without doing an A/B comparison. There is an Aragon 8008BB and a Sonic Frontiers SFS80 that I have been eyeing...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    HAHAHA That reminds me of the SCTV skit..

GOD do I miss SCTV. They just don't make TV like that anymore
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    Hehe. Are you gonna make @f1nut proclaim he is RIGHT once again? Lordy help us!
  • audioluvr
    Hehe. Are you gonna make @f1nut proclaim he is RIGHT once again? Lordy help us!

That's beneath him...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    There is an Aragon 8008BB and a Sonic Frontiers SFS80 that I have been eyeing...
    The 8008 will require a jumper wire across the negative terminals, or an isolation transformer (Dreadnaught) in the SDA cable, to overcome the 20-ohm resistance preventing "true" common-ground of the negative terminals.

Aside from that...very recommended.
  • audioluvr
    Dreadnaught... Got one!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited March 2018
    There is an Aragon 8008BB that I have been eyeing...

Great amps the 8008 and 4004 series made by Mondial designs. I have not heard the newer amps by Klipsch or Indy audio designs.
    Mondial designs had others beside those two but they were much more expensive.

• audioluvr
    That's some seriously long reading...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC