Home made Power Cables

For some reason I am thinking about making my own power cables....whats a good size tech flex sleeve to use for a 10 or 12 awg AC power cable? 1/4", 3/8"....dont want to guess. Thx

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Once you choose the cable, most manufacturers will have a product sheet on their web site detailing the diameter of the cable. Pick the tech flex rated for that size.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    But thats too complicated...that would mean I have to read ;)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    But thats too complicated...that would mean I have to read ;)

good grief :rolleyes:
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    We use 1/2" Clean Cut Techflex for most speaker and power cables. Unless your cable is extra fat, or small like the size of a interconnect cable, 1/2" should work well for you. You could more than likely get away with 3/8" but I like the coverage of 1/2" better. Less see through. When you know the diameter of the cable, let me know. I can tell you what's best then.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • kevhed72
    Cool....thanks Doug. I have been pouring over your website of late.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Have you though of using the same Romex cable that your house is wired with? You have 50 ft between your circuit breaker and your outlet. Three more feet shouldn't matter.

Solid conductor cords are what is used to transmit AC everywhere but they are not UL approved for power cords so no one can ever market them. But what you do at home is nobodys business (and you won't burn down your house).

Here is a link I found interesting. But WARNING! This company uses the word Snake Oil so if you have many thousands into your power cords DO NOT read it. And if you do have an issue don't blame me. Take it up with the author.

empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/technical-papers/myths-and-snake-oil
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    delkal wrote: »
    Have you though of using the same Romex cable that your house is wired with? You have 50 ft between your circuit breaker and your outlet. Three more feet shouldn't matter.

Solid conductor cords are what is used to transmit AC everywhere but they are not UL approved for power cords so no one can ever market them. But what you do at home is nobodys business (and you won't burn down your house).

Here is a link I found interesting. But WARNING! This company uses the word Snake Oil so if you have many thousands into your power cords DO NOT read it. And if you do have an issue don't blame me. Take it up with the author.

Go back to your cave, caveman.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »

Go back to your cave, caveman.

But if you use the flex tech sleeve on them no one would know

I take it you disagreed with Empirical audios website. They do sell $1000 cables so its not just some kid in a basement writing it. They do say these are better than Romex

empiricalaudio.com/cables/power-cables

• kevhed72
    I wonder what awg coat hanger would be? 3 of those in a jacket may work...
  • JLStice
    JLStice Posts: 41
    TechFlex is a wonderful product, whether we're talking about metal or plastic versions. Most tech flex has a RANGE of diameters, and all of the braided ones do. In agreement with Doug - you could order spool of 1/2" and put it on almost everything.

Also when people say TechFlex, I think we're generally thinking of the braided plastic stuff, but have a look here:
    https://www.techflex.com/sleevingselector.asp